Fight like cats and dogs?

RachandLiam

We have fully researched the breed for years...Im a great researcher..And we got our little boy on the 23rd dec so he is around 11 week old..

I have cats (Only told breeder I had one as didnt want to ruin my chances of getting him)..hate lying btw.. We had almost an interview with the breeder, and sent pics of our house, and land around ect ect to prove we were suitable enough owners. We are so glad for this and know that we can have info and help throughout his life.

From the minute Kais came home and met the cats he loved them, would have preffered them stewed...only joking no REALLY it was not what we expected..with one or two swipesfrom the cats and some 'talking' from kaiser soon (within hours) they were friends. I think its all about creating the atmosphere of a pack. I completely believe that you must make your new addition know and trust that the other people/cats are more important but reading all that shizzle about staring the dog in the eyes and pinning him down is complete bulshhh.

We have had kais for 3 week ish and now our kitten cuddles up to him until she goes to sleep, he cleans her (Not tasting I hope/?) Hec does play bite with her but it never hurts her he play bites us harder,,,any ideas to stop this?? But really he wont settle and sleep without little mia cat!!

Mind, they are ALWAYS supervised. Is this wierd and should we be more careful...any tips????

ps really love this site your all so caring and great :D

Yes I know this and thats why they are being watched like a hawk, high prey drives..yes i agree, but my cats are currently hunting the dog, army crawling and then pouncing!

I will be careful..and kais is scared of the cats so far and he is much bigger than then, fingers cross he will understand more that they are our family.

i have heard prey drive 'kicks in' when is this, what should we change and when will we know when to?

thankyou x

I trust Embry completly with my life with our cat. We have not had any issues with them together. I don't fully trust Zoey with out cat as she's still young and doesn't realize how big she is and tends to play very rough but overall they're both great with our cat. I don't see any issue with huskies and cats as long as their introduced right

d0362837-fa83-acd2.jpg

Great pic Jennet :)

I would stop the play biting now. Since it's so risky with Huskies notorious prey drive you'll want to totally discourage anything like that. Accidents can always happen. We've always had a "safe zone" for the cats no matter were we've lived. It used to just be an area of the house that was gated off so the cats could get away from the dogs, whenever. But of course, crating them while you aren't there is probably the best option and I stand behind that 100% All of my dogs are fine with the cats but that comes with having rules... No mouths on the cat- ever. No chasing the cats. No stalking the cats. No fixation on the cats. They simply just ignore them.

Jennet, there are some huskies that even as little puppies have a really strong prey drive - I've had several that I would NEVER trust! When my litter were 4-5 weeks old, one of the young cats would wrestle and play with them. Things weren't too bad if just one pup was loose with him, but any more and that pack mentality set in, and they still want to chase any cat now. There's hope, but it will be a bit of a challenge, and I'll have to watch him around the cats for a long time before I trust Zeke with a cat!

I do have an older dog who is fantastic with the cats, and I would trust him completely (Shad - although he's inclined to snap at them now, when he's not feeling well and they're pains - they can jump back and he's not at all serious, just wants them to leave him and his stuff alone!)

I would guess you aren't likely to have problems, but do keep an eye out, and make sure as he grows up. Good luck, and welcome!

Funny that this post should come up - I was walking back to the house from the mail box with Tux, who comes in at night but stays in a crate because I don't totally trust him around the cats. One of the outdoor cats, Ty, who's a big guy, walked down just behind us, and then walked to the side of us as we went back up the drive. Tux was kind of nervous - he's always afraid of something when he's around the cats - either that he's going to get in trouble just because there's a cat there, or maybe that he'll just be too tempted to resist (he's resisted quite well several times!). Anyway, I teased him - "Don't worry, Tux, I won't let the cat attack you, any more than I'll let you attack the cat!" Suddenly, Ty leapt across the area of snow between the ruts, and smacked poor Tux right in the side - I thought I was going to fall down, I was laughing so hard! Poor Tux looked dumbfounded - couldn't believe the cat had done that! (neither could I!) I swear that had to have understood exactly what I said! blink.giftongue.gif

i have never had a cat around my sibes - our cat passed away before we got them

i do feel if they are introduced correctly they can be fine - but i would never leave them together unsupervised - it only takes 1 moment for the dog to suddenly see his friend as prey - and it has happened - dogs growing up with cats then bam - no cat anymore

i found a rescued a kitten that had been dumped a short while after i got my pup daughtry but she was playing too rough and pouncing so we had to rehome the kitten...

i wouldnt trust any of mine with cats supervised or not..

daughtry's prey drive is wayyyyy too high, birds,rubbish,leaves anything that moves must be stalked and pounced on

darwin likes to chase cats if he see's one outside

and echo is a gsd and likes cats with gravy

Yes I know this and thats why they are being watched like a hawk, high prey drives..yes i agree, but my cats are currently hunting the dog, army crawling and then pouncing!

I will be careful..and kais is scared of the cats so far and he is much bigger than then, fingers cross he will understand more that they are our family.

i have heard prey drive 'kicks in' when is this, what should we change and when will we know when to?

thankyou x

Zions prey drive kicked in around 6 months, not sure if its the same with all huskies though.