Life of a multiforum admin.

Marc

Thought I would start this topic of as a conversation I thought may be quite interesting (or maybe boring as hell, we'll see lol). It may also give you a bit of an insight into what goes on inside my head with regards to forum life.

So how do I see forums with regards to my own hobby? Forums are practically a game for me. Some ya win, some ya lose. The key to winning is more about seeing when your winning and when your losing. To me forums are a kinda stratagy game and something I can become completely relaxed in doing regardless of how much stress they can contain at times. I guess kinda like some of you who play computer games, sit for hours playing with photoshop, or play football for a pub team over the weekends.

Over 2011 we will again have a lot of changes on the forum as you will see. I'm not going to announce any more about any of them now as a lot of the details are still to be discussed with the rest of the staff team. In 2010 I guess my personal aim was for us to have the most, be the best, and be the biggest. My honest opinion is that I think we have succeeded in that. The problem then lies with forums of this size in sustaining it to become not only big, but huge. My personal aims for 2011 on the forum are one that is rather simple in nature but hard to achieve, and one that is difficult in both.

2011 will see the first husky forum on the internet to become a bigboard. Now many of you will have not heard this term before with relation to a forum, so I will give you a brief overview. Bigboards is a directory of forums around the internet that have grown to a substantial size enough to be categorised as a bigboard. A bigboard is defined as a forum that has been running for more than 3 years (which we will have achieved in the next year) and that has more than 500,000 posts in total. Now just think about that! 500,000 is double the total volume of posts that is on the forum at present. Personally I think we hit it, and thats what I will be looking at all year.

The second is a personal goal as well as a forum goal. This has been something I have decided I wanted to do for many years, however never gotten around to putting it into action. As a software developer it is relativly easy for me to begin to learn a new coding language, however for this year I will be learning to code a new language and do it well. That language is the language in which the forum software is written in (PHP for those interested). This will open up masses of opportunity for the forum as a lot of those "Im not sure, but I'll look to see if I can" will become "Yes and I will add that to the development schedule". My first application for the forum being profiles for our 4 legged friends.

I may add to this topic tomorrow, but for now .. Time for bed :)

bring on the bigboard..lol...... good luck with the coding.. and a massive well done and thank you to all the people who keep this brilliant forum going, sooo glad i found it and will defantly be spreading the word.....easily the best forum iv been on,everyone is so friendly and helpfull. THANK YOU ALL.lol :D

Wonderful, it's nice to hear from another administrators perspective.

My forum has 20,736 members, 12,708 topics and 346,315 posts which I started in 2007.

Recently I decided that we outgrew our forum as I was working on Proboards and using java codes that I just think our capacity out grew.

We've now happily moved to a PHPBB3 forum. I'm in the process of learning PHP just like yourself XD

Stacey xxx