anyone put there doggy in kennels before while you go on hoilday?

katie mc

was just wondering if anyone has put there pooch in kennels before while u go away? If so how did ure dogs find it?im going away in summer and would to know peoples opinions on them and if anyone knows of any good ones in manchester area. Also what vaccinations will dukey doo need to have if i decide to put him in one?just kennel cough one or others aswell?i will ask my vet but asking all u first :) .thank u xx

katie you can do what mary r did and ask someone to take duke for you in their home...

at least he will be going with other huskies and will get the right amount of walks etc....

we dont have any kennels that cater to huskies where i live and i know if i went away and they only got 30 mins exercise a day i would have mental dogs when i gt back

its another alternative to kenneling!!!

you may not get him back though lmao cos duke is sooooooooo cute,

most kennels will want to see that he is fully up to date on vaccs and kennel cough will need to be done like 2/3 weeks before he goes in....

kelly

kennels really arent a great environment for huskys but human lives must go on as well! i would research any 'working' kennels - even if its a gun dog kennel etc at least they have more of an idea of what working dogs are like. however you would need to stress the importance of keeping on lead and keeping secure as well as not exercising when really hot etc.

in the summer you would need to ensure that the actual kennel had plenty of shade and air flow or a husky could really suffer if it was a humid week

to be honest i think your better off trying to find a house/pet sitter who has experience in huskys.

There's lots to consider if your dog goes and stays with another pack - all possible but points to consider. food, aggression, guarding and toy issues, garden security etc. its not good just to hand over a dog and expect them to get on, yes sometimes they do but they may not and its a week is a long time for them to be fighting.

yeh my mum would usually have him but shes coming away with us and my fellas dad would have him and he has offered but duke really gets on milly(his labs)nerves,drives her nuts!also my sister and her family would have him but i know he will be on his own for long hours through the days shes at work and her lil daughter doesnt know when to leave him alone,haha. Everyone else i know works long hours through the week. Im asking now so i have enough time to research places and get to know the place before hand. Kelly i didnt know that people will take him in to there own home might look into that as i know he would love the company of other dogs plus wont be on his own and will have the right exercise. Dont want to leave him really as it will be the longest i wont have seen him for :( x

I kept Siku at my trainer's place, so I guess you can call it a kennel. She stayed there for 2 weeks while we were away. She was just fine when we got back. The lady is on 10 acres and keeps the dogs in cages most of the time, but lets them run a few times during the day. I guess most kennels wouldn't have 10 acres for the dogs to run, but if you find a good one I don't think they are that terrible.

was just wondering if anyone has put there pooch in kennels before while u go away? If so how did ure dogs find it?im going away in summer and would to know peoples opinions on them and if anyone knows of any good ones in manchester area. Also what vaccinations will dukey doo need to have if i decide to put him in one?just kennel cough one or others aswell?i will ask my vet but asking all u first :) .thank u xx

I work at a doggy daycare and boarding facility, and have high hopes and plans on opening my own in two-three years. We have had a few huskies come in, mostly for boarding. They were deff. the inside dogs, as its incredibly hot here and even 15-20 minutes outside in the summer says just wore them out, We are indoor and outdoor, and have lots of room and space. Look around, at my daycare we have suits for the dogs who aren't kennel trained, and we divide dogs up by a lot of different reasons. Ask a lot of questions, and if you do choose a daycare/boarding facility (the dogs get to play all day, then are separated over night) do a trial daycare day. You will be able to tell if your dog likes it by the next time you go in. The dog will either drag you to the door or refuse to get out of the car. (seriously..).

Just make sure you ask LOTS of questions, over and over again and make sure the answer doesn't change. Make sure their not telling you what you want to hear, rather then the truth.

Im hoping to go to my other halfs sisters wedding not till may 2012 but i am already worrying about what to do with shadow (or maybe even two by then) so i know how you feel hopefully someone with experience can help you rather than kennels

Polee's been in kennels previously and although they gave her extra walks I would only consider it as a last resort. If I have to go away without her now she's either looked after by my Ex or by my mum and walked by a neighbour who dog sits in her own home. Polee adores Elaine (the dog sitter) which I take as a good sign as she's an excellent judge of character. My advice would be to seek a dog sitter as they can provide one to one care for your dog

We've just been away skiing for a week and paid a friend's teenage daughter (18 and loves pets) to come and stay for the week with Storm. I wasn't keen on kennels due to limited amount of exercise, my alternative would have been to post and see if anyone on here would look after her for the week (at least you know they get good care). If you're going on summer holidays do you know anyone in Uni/College who is reliable, would like to earn a bit of cash and would like a paid holiday (!!) in your home - worth a shot. I also know of a pet sitter/walker near Eccles if that's anywhere near you and you need details, give us a shout - good luck.

we put shiloh in kennels last June for 5 days when we went to centre parcs..........we have used them 4 times previously in the past with my cats and they have always been excellent :)

but with shiloh it wasnt so good....gave them strict instructions re: his feeding etc and told them huskies are totally different to other breeds when it comes to food- they didnt listen at all....overfed him bigstyle and he had the runs really bad all week :angry: god only knows what they were feeding him :angry: in the end the said to stop him being loose they gave him what they feed their own great danes- tripe, chicken wings etc - why not do that in the 1st place??? :angry:

he was only 6months at the time aswell and he was very very naughty when he came home...it lasted for about 2 weeks- wouldnt listen to anything, training went out the window etc...lol

because of this we prob wont be putting him in again- i will be very cheeky and ask someon on here to take him in for the week :P someone who knows shiloh and how mental he is...also someone that understands him and how to feed him ;)

im not saying that all kennels out there will be the same huni, but the experience of it all last year has really put us off...hope you manage to sort something out for lil dukey :)

oh regarding the vaccines, all we had to do was make sure his boosters were upto date and that he had kennel cough vaccine- the spray one that goes up the nose xxxxxx

I've seen on here that there's a kennels in Cambridgeshire somewhere that is husky orientated they have twenty of their own huskies so know the breed very well but they still only do a half hour walk but I think they let them have a big run around to in an enclosed area but I just think shadow would go mad in a kennel he'd go to anyone though lol

we know of a kennels in yorkshire just off the A1, it's called danewalk, we know of this place because when we were looking for a malamute, they had one there, as they foster for amcuk, and have mals of their own as pets, they have over 20 years experience of mals, so if ever we need a kennels we would use them, as we feel it wouldn't be fair to leave talon with anyone with his size, we feel we need alot of experience within the breed, even though we know of a lot of people on the site who would love to take talon of our hands.

ok hes not going to go to kennels dont want him to be unhappy :( while im away.

cant take dukey with us as were going to spain dont think he wud enjoy the heat there lol.

i didnt think about asking on here,people already have there hands full im sure hehe ;)

unsure of the dates yet hun itd be around the end of june start of july as we havnt got round to booking the flights yet

thanks for all ure help

xx

I used 2 use Kennels all the time, 3-4 times a year n the longest period was 7 days. I found 1 out in the sticks n it was also a farm, i phoned them all the time 2 c how they were n they were really stinky when i picked them up.

Nanook wouldnt speak 2 me 4 bout a week afterwards so that was upsetting but u cant put ur life on hold 4 ur doggies.........................

THATS WOT I USED TO THINK !!!!!!!! Now if i go away they come with me or my mum looks after them or when i sell our house down here mum does wanna take me on holiday so im gunna be doin the same as u but ive got 3 so i dont know if i will have any volunteers :lol: