Help before I loose my mind!!

Faith

Hi Guys

Me again I feel like all I do is post on here when I need help and I am so sorry for that and I hope I'm not annoying anyone because of this.

I really need some help on a few issue I seem to be having with my oldest husky Molly she is 9 months at the moment and is driving me crazy!!! I actually spent the early hours of Tuesday morning crying because of her. I feel like I have failed her so much by not coping with her. She is the most amazing dog and I love her with all my heart she is my baby but I just feel like giving up on trying to get anything like good behaviour out of her.

She has become how shall I say it a proper little madam and it is causing so much tension in the house between me and my partner but also with our other husky Codey who is 6 months as Molly seems to take all the attention with her behaviour.

I think my best place to start is list her "issues" in order of the ones that are doing the most damage.

1) Crate training - I have been trying to crate train her since about June time and still have next to no success. She starts of whining quitely and just gets louder and louder till you can't possibly hear yourself think even if your upstairs. Then she starts banging at the door of the crate or scratching the floor she gets so frantic I have to let her out because a) I can't take the noise any longer and 2) I'm worried she is going to start to seriously hurt herself.

I have ignored her and ignored her but this ended up with one of my neighbours standing on my door step screaming at me. I have brought special water bowls for her to go in there that she cant spill over as she started to do that on purpuse. I put beds in there she ripped them to shreds, I put a blanket in there and she looked me square in the face as she started to try tearing it. I have taken her for long walks before putting her in there. Made sure she has been out in the garden to do her stuff. I brought her diffrent types of toys she didnt want to know.

What else can I do?????

2) Chewing - She never chews anything when I am there so I can't stop it. She has ripped my sofa to pieces to such extent that I can't afford to replace it so know I can't have anyone round. I have a list of things she has destroyed but I can't get her too stop. I brought the chew spray she ate the bottle. I brought her a Kong she doesn't even want to know

3) Toilet Training - The door to the garden is always open pretty much 24/7 will she use it will she hell! She would rather use the front room carpet. Even if I take her out into the garden for an hour she won't do a thing 5 mins of being inside again she goes I am tearing my hair out.

4) Pulling on her lead - No matter what I do when I walk her she pulls and I just can't seem to get her to stay close. She does it at puppy class the second we cross the door into the house it's like it falls out of her head.

Please help all ideas and experiences welcome I just need reassurance that I am not the only person with a disfunctional husky who is hell bent on destroying me one day at a time until I end up sitting in the corner rocking backwards and forwards gibbering to myself that she's out to get me lol

xx

hi there i have a one year old male husky kobi, it took hima while to get the hand of toilet training too. in the end i had to spend some time with him look for the signs of her going and as soon as you spot it put her outside even if its too late. he generally wants to go to the loo after he has eaten or exercised so i always put him out in the garden after each meal and after we have been out for a walk. he almost never has a wee or anything whilst we are out walking he always waits for us to get back home.

as for chewing he hasnt done any major damage but if i am going to leave him on his own i always put him in the kitchen and he lays on his bed, i always left him something to chew on a bone or a raw hide chew - something that will last to keep him occupied. i found putting a little bit of cheese inside the bone keeps him quiet for ages he loves it!!!

he still pulls on his lead now but not so bad, i stop everytime he pulls hard and soon enough he gets bored of keep stopping and walks relitivly normallly. also try taking a few treats with you - keep calling the dog back to you and giving a treat this also usually ensures he walks quite close.

hope this helps a little bit.....:rolleyes:

1) Crate training - you've taught her she gets out if she barks and screams. You have to just leave her, I don't care how much it hurts you brain, leave her. She will soon learn. I don't know how the others feel about this, but I do know if you get her a barking collar she will bark once and the barking will stop. Maybe you could just put the collar on when she is IN the kennel. Don't make her wear it outside the kennel, because huskies are vocal dogs. Don't put any kind of bedding or anything. Just stick her in there and turn the lights off.

2) Chewing - You said she never chews when you're around. Crate her when you're not watching her. Put her on a leash and keep her close to you at all times when your attention cant be on HER. At least you know where she is and what she isn't chewing! This leash thing means she has to follow you everywhere! Even to the bathroom when you need to go, and to the mailbox when you need mail.

3) Toilet Training - With the above statement, put her on a leash and walk her around with you. If you can't have her with you, stick her in the crate (again with no absorbing beds/towles ect.). If she decides to pee when you have her on the leash, and can pull her outside. When she goes outside, you can praise her! Also, make sure she is being fed on a time schedule. When Nitro was a puppy, we even had set times we gave him water (just make sure she IS getting a normal amount of water). If you watch when she drinks, you'll understand when she needs to pee.

4) Pulling on her lead - Husky trait. Try a gentle leader.

Crate training will REALLY help with three of the four of these problems. Also make sure she's getting enough exercise. Destructive behaviors are usually a result of unused energy.

If my huskies weren't crate trained, I'd have the same problem with chewing and potty training, so don't feel too bad. And my 11 month old still pulls on the lead. I agree with what was said above that the main thing you need to work on is crate training. Have you ever put a stuffed kong in the crate with her? That will keep her busy for a while. Siku didn't like her crate for a while and I would put 5 stuffed kongs in with her and it would keep her busy for a good while.

When she goes outside, give her a treat after she's done and she should eventually get the idea. It's going to be hard to get her over going in the house since she's used to it now, but with time you can train her not to. Don't get mad at her cause she'll just go a hide to pee, but as soon as you see her going say OUTSIDE! if a nice but loud voice and put her outside. But keep her in her crate when you can't watch her. BTW, mine will rip apart any dog bed or blanket you put in with them, so don't feel bad about that either.

Sounds to me like a husky who isn't getting quit enough exercise. Huskies are bred to pull and run. They need a job (although not necessarily pulling) of some sort to exercise not only their body but their mind. Since she is so young you are really going to have to give her lots and lots of exercise so she will burn off the destructive energy and not become so bored. Sometimes a long walk isn't enough which means you will have to walk even longer/more often or you could try jogging. Play lots of games with her and take her to new places to expose her to different surroundings and people etc.. Keep her mind active and she will have less interest in chewing and she will be more open to learning commands and boundaries.

You will want to establish a time to be excited and energized and a time to relax and just chill ( like being on her crate should be her chill time). get her on a schedule where you take her for a walk and play and what not and then have a time to put her in her crate. Once you get her on a schedule and she is used to having her chill time as being in her crate, then you can put her in there when ever you need to.

Another thing is since she is only 9 months old, she is still in the "teenager" stage of life where her hormones are going crazy which makes her go crazy. She will grow out of this stage though so hang in there!

Crate training isn't really a thing that is common where i am...i haven't met anyone who has crate trained a dog (apart from reading about it online of course)

How does it work? are dogs crated any time you are not around? or just until they are toilet trained?

Where do people normally keep there dogs when they are at work for say 8 hours a day?

I crate trained Zara, Phoenix can be trusted outside a crate all he seems to do is sleep, but Zara would be destructopup if I let her.

I don't have her crate where i am living at the moment but i am almost always home, the only destruction I have had was when she jumped through an open window and got into the house and ripped all the rubbish to shreds. She is 1 next month.

I had trouble with her howling and crying in her crate, I found the solution was to shut my door so Phoenix was out in the same area as her crate, after that the only time she cried was when she needed to go out in the mornings.

Another thing is since she is only 9 months old, she is still in the "teenager" stage of life where her hormones are going crazy which makes her go crazy. She will grow out of this stage though so hang in there!

This is a good point as my Girl who will be 2 in march, when see was a pup chewed through an old fashioned Leather 2 seater, with ease strait through the middle, chewed dinning table and chairs shoes.boots and Kids toys, after a bit you dog will grow out of this, mine did and its rare she chews anything now.

Can not help you with crate training as i dont keep mine in a crate and i can totaly trust her on her own, also Potty training just keep at it, your dog will learn not to do it in the house just stick to your guns you will get there in the end, then you can tell every one else your stories of the time when your dog did this and that not what my dog does.:D

I think she is getting to teenage stage but agree with the above about crate training she now sees that the more scratching she does the more noise made she will get let out eventually. I know it is annoying sometimes with new pups we have had to sleep with ear plugs in because any communication telling the dog to shut up or whatever is only hindering progress.

As for chewing some dogs are more prone to chewing than others. It is just a case of keeping an eye on her at all times until she can be trusted or crate when you cannot be there.

With the toilet training i literally stand outside for as long as it takes the dog to go. They soon learn that they get praised for going outside and that they are not going to be trusted inside the family home until they are empty. Agree with setting a routine so let out after food, exercise naps or whatever.

Just be patient it will happen with patience just stick with it. xx

Where is the crate put? If its not in your room could you maybe put it in there for abit so shes at least with you at night and isnt going to freak out coz "OH MY GOD IV LOST MY PACK I HAVE TO SCREAM TO LET THEM KNOW IM HEAR COME AND GET ME"

Then cover it with a blanket so its nice and dark in there and let her know that your right next to her, she SHOULD shut up quite quickly. I wouldnt put water in there at night tho as it just means she'll drink it then need the toilet so scream to get out. Maybe get a DAP plug in or collar for her to chill her out a little.

Toilet training... how have you cleaned up her past accidents? I would suggest getting the spray stuff you can get that completely removes the pheramone scent thats shes "been" there, you can get this in most pet shops... then start again from scratch takeing her out ever hour and after shes eaten, drank or played hard.. praaaaaise like mad and reward when she goes outside.. maybe add a command to it I use "go toilet" and both of mine will wee on command now.

Chewing if she doesnt chew when your watching her then like someone else said tie a lead to you belt and keep her with you.. if you see her go to chew something thats shes not suposed to say firmly NO NOT YOURS and then hand her one of her toys and say Here chew, if/when she does praise for gooood chew.

Oh and breeeeeath, dont worry your not alone.. we have all been through the naughty husky teenage phase and with patients and consistencey you do get through it! :)

There is so much that I could say on this, I've actually considered not typing but offering you my telephone number. If you would like an encouraging phonecall to try and help make you feel better about this, I will welcomely give you my number and advise you as best as I can, because right now, it sounds like you could do with someone actually listening to you.

I will try to cut this as short as I can:

Crate Training

Aleu used to love her cage when I first brought her from my breeder. She was used to sleeping in a kennel, so it didn't bother her. But then I got too confident in her and started leaving her out the cage. She was fine for a few weeks, and then BAM! Everything was getting destroyed. I tried crate training her again and it turned to hell. She would howl and howl and howl. It wouldn't matter if I left her with a kong/toys or not. She was not interested, and like with your dog, she tore up her bedding so I had to stop giving it to her. I've used many methods in the past to getting Aleu to like her cage, but I have finally done it.

Methods I've tried with a rating:

Ignoring her 4/10 - Didn't work very well for me, she tended to just howl even louder to get my attention or started attacking the cage.

Leaving her a kong 6/10 - She'd be quite until she finished the kong.

Putting her in there several times a day 5/10 - Kind of got her used to it but didn't really work.

Extending the time of leaving her 5/10 - Sort of worked but didn't really stop it.

Exercising her 6/10 - Worked relatively well, but she'd hard to completely knacker out and it's not easy to do before your morning tasks need to be done.

Dog Bark control box 8/10 - This gave out a high pitch squeek that she didn't like. It would rather well, until she destroyed it when she got out of the cage lol.

Muzzling her for a few minutes in there then taking it off 8/10 - This was something I really didn't want to do, but it actually go her to stop howling for a very long while. She eventually started again though.

Now the combination that has worked for me is this:

• Have a routine to your walks. Our morning one is on an extendable to get lots of running around, our evening one is slow paced and close because I want her to be calm when she comes home and go to sleep.
  • Feed her in the morning. I found that reduced protein has really REALLY helped.
  • Skullcap and Valerian tablets are a god send. They are a natrual herb that I learnt about when I was working at the vets. I decided to try them, and ever since, I've never had a peep out of Aleu. She started on 7 a day, which we soon reduced and she is now down to having just 3 day. They are completely healthy for your dogs to take as they are just natural herbs.
  • She HAS to sleep in the cage at night.
  • Amazingly moving the cage into the dining room was fantastic as well! Doing this majorly improved our problem. She obviously didnt like the room I was trying to get her to sleep in.
  • She only gets things like kongs and rawhides if she's been for a long walk as a reward or if shes in her cage.
  • We leave the cage open all day so she has the option to sleep in there.

Chewing

Unfortunately, it's what they do! If you're not there with her, pop her in the cage. Even if you're just going to the toilet, infact small toilet breaks like that, will even get her used to the idea that you will come back to the crate.

Toilet Training

The crate training will help control her toileting. Does she go to the toilet on her walks? If yes, why not take her into the garden on a lead and try that. Treat it like your walking environment in the hopes that she will get the idea. Also, you could start back at square one and use puppy pads. Start moving them gradually outside (or even a cut off piece of your carpet if you have any spare).

Pulling On The Lead

Most huskies require the aid of a tool to get them to learn heel, so you can gradually get them onto a loose leash. Use things like canny collars and treats to make her see that pulling ahead of you just causes an uncomfortable pull, where as if she actually hung around with you, she'd get something nice out of it. Other methods you can also try are, holding the lead loosely, and if she gets a step ahead of you, turn and walk in the opposite direction whilst lightly gathering the lead back up.

My favourite technique, is walking near to a wall so your husky can't actually get passed you. Eventually they think, "Ugh, whats the point, I never get passed" and they hang quite low. Eventually you can move away from the wall and walk comfortably. Please don't think however that I am saying squish your dogs head up a wall lol. You are litrally walking in their way.

I hope this helps and I do mean my offer at the start of this post. Just Pm me if you'd like a bit of support.

Stacey xxx

A lot of amazing advice on here already! Crate training can definitely be a life saver, and I understand how difficult it can be if you're worried about neighbors. We live in an apartment building, and for the first couple of weeks I was CONVINCED we were going to be evicted! But we actually never got any complaints. :)

One thing you could also try if you haven't is if she keeps going on and on screaming in the crate, go bang on it, say "QUIET" and leave her alone again. For the most part Lyra is great in her crate, but every once in a while she starts digging in the bottom of it or whining at like 5 in the morning, when we KNOW she doesn't need to go out. If I go out to the living room and bang on her crate, she gets quiet pretty quickly and doesn't make a peep after that. Sometimes I think they just work themselves up so much that it helps to interrupt them. :)

i havent read all the replies word for word only scanned them but i assume she is well exercised and stimulated - i mean both physically and mentally?

huskys are a working breed. is she KC reg'd if so what names are in the pedigree? basically im asking is she from a strong working line? ? perhaps get yorself a doggy backpack and use on walks to give her a 'job' this will help stimulate her.

Where do you live? perhaps organise a husky meet as again this will be more stimualting for her and tire her out. as for the pulling, well i am pretty much in the 'thats what huskys do' camp. my adult walks perfectly to heel at training but goes out of the window anywhere else so its a walking belt and long lead and i enjoy the ride!! and my pup walks to heel but goes out of the window when i walk him with the adult!! basically they are designed to pull, its what they love to do. yes its possible but it can take a lot of consistant training. walking belts similar to kisi website is comfortable, safe and sooooo much easier to walk.

You well need to think about getting into working your dog in harness. this will seriously calm her down

crate - whilst i guess its a bit of leaving them and ignoring the noise but becareful huskys are good chewers and can do alot of damage to themselves (& the crate) to get out. She clearly hasnt had a good experience of the crate so i would start of much slower - perhaps just by feeding in there so she starts seeing it a good place. Lots of praise when she goes in and treat, never give lots of praise when she comes out. i crate trained storm just be regularly saying 'storm to bed' he soon learnt that if he went to bed he got praise and a treat. he happily goes to bed by himself , its his den. my pup is 90% there with the 'bed' command but he is happy to go in he just needs encouragement.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your advice and I am so sorry it has taken so long too say that but Molly decided that she did not like my router and that I didn't need it so eat it! Maybe she sussed that I was asking you all for help.

I have started doing something of the things on here and have noticed a bit of an improvement. I am getting the barking collar this weekend and see if that does anything.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who has/is going through this I really began to feel like it was me especially when my friend who has her sister seems to have next to no problems that made me feel so useless. Then my other half pointed out she is always at home so hers doesn't get time too play up lol.

Once again thank you all so much!! Once again I have seen that joining this forum was the best thing I ever did. Well except for getting Molly & Codey of course lol

Great advise every1 +1 it takes time and patience ice was a great pup so didn't have much problem with him but he did have a thing for my sisters phone and shoes and it was only her lol. We got him at 12 weeks he was crate trained and was fab at going in it. But it all depends on the dog there all different from each other. Good luck with the training you will will get there in the end its just take time.

Sounds like I have an angel husky compared to you XD;;

I could never get my guy to like the kennel, EVER. I ignored him, I left him in there... I didn't give in to his whining. He stayed in there. He didn't hate it too much because that's where he use to sleep every night before we got rid of the kennel (was taking up too much room). He'd never be quiet in it. However, he's not a chewer and never has been so he doesn't need to be kenneled :3 Yay! Only thing I have to do when I go out (not anymore but did for a really long time) is place a bark collar on him that sprayed citronella when he whined/barked because he was apparently being really loud. He's learned to be quiet though :3 Least, I think, no complaints from the neighbors.

The only problem I have is trying to get my guy to eat his meals ._.

I wouldn't say that the pulling on lead is a problem, it's uncomfortable and not fun but you'll find that a lot of husky owners have the same "problem". Comes in handy if you ever want them to be a sled dog tho <3

I can't offer you anymore advice, all the advice on here is really good and covers anything that I would have said.

Good luck, they like to drive you up the wall XD;;

I'd be wondering...

- How much exercise is she getting each day?

- How much training is she getting?

- How long are you trying to crate her for?

- Where is the crate?

Also... have you taught her an in your crate command? I am constantly quite surprised at the number of people who never seem to train their dogs to willingly go in their crate on command. It was the first thing I taught my dog to do when I got her crate home and it is SO useful - I'll have her out at training and all I need to say is 'in your crate' and she'll put herself in there as quickly as possible.

There is a great DVD by Susan Garrett called Crate Games - I highly recommend it for anyone who is having serious trouble with crate training!

ETA: I must admit I've never really crated my Siberian. He must have been five or six years old by the time I first introduced him to a crate and he took to it straight away and would happily sit in it for hours with no problem. And that was only because I had him at a two day training workshop! I don't crate my dogs a lot at home, I use it most out at training, trials, workshops etc.

I know how you feel...my boyfriend was so close to giving up our husky puppy several times when she was still learning. I also called her the spawn of Satan when we first got her. She's destroyed all of his 3 remotes, his t-shirts, sneakers, hat, and more. She also pulled so hard when we walked her, and being 5'2, I almost fell over in the beginning. She also made accidents on my bed and carpet, my boyfriend's house everywhere...you name it, she did it.

I think the thing with huskies is that they're so much to put up with when they're puppies, but trust me...they'll grow out of it! Mine is only 14 months, but compared to when she was 9 months, she's done a complete 180!

With the pulling thing, you have to be consistent and show that you're the leader, and it really does take a long, long, long time. Also, although a lot of people recommended positive reinforcement like giving her treats to make her not pull, it was more helpful in our case to stop walking and use a harsh tone with her the moment she pulled. I don't think a lot of people would recommend it, but it worked for our situation. We also didn't know why she was being so destructive, but a fellow owner told us it's because she has unused energy inside her that she has to let out somehow. Before the snow, my boyfriend took her to the dog park everyday for 1-2 hours at a time. When she came back, she was so calm and tired from running around. Hope your husky grows out of it like mine did!

I know how you feel...my boyfriend was so close to giving up our husky puppy several times when she was still learning. I also called her the spawn of Satan when we first got her. She's destroyed all of his 3 remotes, his t-shirts, sneakers, hat, and more. She also pulled so hard when we walked her, and being 5'2, I almost fell over in the beginning. She also made accidents on my bed and carpet, my boyfriend's house everywhere...you name it, she did it.

I think the thing with huskies is that they're so much to put up with when they're puppies, but trust me...they'll grow out of it! Mine is only 14 months, but compared to when she was 9 months, she's done a complete 180!

With the pulling thing, you have to be consistent and show that you're the leader, and it really does take a long, long, long time. Also, although a lot of people recommended positive reinforcement like giving her treats to make her not pull, it was more helpful in our case to stop walking and use a harsh tone with her the moment she pulled. I don't think a lot of people would recommend it, but it worked for our situation. We also didn't know why she was being so destructive, but a fellow owner told us it's because she has unused energy inside her that she has to let out somehow. Before the snow, my boyfriend took her to the dog park everyday for 1-2 hours at a time. When she came back, she was so calm and tired from running around. Hope your husky grows out of it like mine did!

Thanks for this glad i'm not the only one. I have noticed her calming a bit so fingers crossed lol :)