Teaching "off" "leave it" or "stop"

Divinix

What's the best technique to teach this?

I know dogs sniff and that huskies have a high prey drive

Usually I don't mind her sniffing and what not as long as she's keeping up with me.. She walks nice too, until she really wants something lol

But today.. It's been raining and there was this trench full of frogs and animals, she just lunged herself towards it, this is pretty hazerdous....

What if she does this while crossing the street? I don't want any casualties

She's not very food oriented, so what's a good way to teach this without food?

What's the best technique to teach this?

I know dogs sniff and that huskies have a high prey drive

Usually I don't mind her sniffing and what not as long as she's keeping up with me.. She walks nice too, until she really wants something lol

But today.. It's been raining and there was this trench full of frogs and animals, she just lunged herself towards it, this is pretty hazerdous....

What if she does this while crossing the street? I don't want any casualties

She's not very food oriented, so what's a good way to teach this without food?

I dont know how to really answer this because ive been lucky with teaching Crystal, but one thing is that she picks up every pit of paper she finds on the floor, i get her to drop it but what i do now is if we see a pice of paper i say LEAVE before we get to it ( I know shes looking at it ) after a bit she got use to Leave and now i do the same with dogs and other animal specialy Birds when walking.

Works for me maybe you will have to use somthing your dog is really interested and practice with that.

try teaching before she has eaten...food has been the only way i have been able to train. you can also try with a toy or anything motivational to her...

teach leave it by putting a treat under your foot or in a fist in your hand and giving it to them after they back off or after they stop sniffing it..add the command and a hand signal after they've gotten used to this.

teach stop by distracting them with a loud noise (i.e. UH-UH! a clap or a loud NO!)

off is a bit difficult but i taught Zeeva by putting something on the counter and distracting her. i would reward her once she got off the counter without eating the treat up there.

as far as the prey drive, and the pulling, you can't really get rid of that in a husky. i walk smokey in an area with a lot of rabbits, squirrels, birds and lizards. he sees one and goes nutso. i just hang on to him for dear life until he calms down and then we continue to walk...i usually just try to distract him by yelling his name loudly or carrying treats with me in my pocket. he is receptive to treats during walks.

sorry, that's the best advice i can give.