Help Husky destruction in home

lestat10

Hello!

We have a husky x''Wolf''(as the vet.) ( his name, Lestat ) that we adopt as it had been abandoned.

everything was going well until a time that he began to be destroyed during our absence at work!

we try out the More often as possible (1 times a day or two days) he spends as much energy as possible

we begin to make a sled pull too (but lack of snow a bit outside ...)

but even when it destroys the house! I have read several tips to do but I want to find a partner or girlfriend at home (a small husky x labrador) would be nice for him to pass the time during our absence?

it is what would be a good idea? and that it would also help the cause? for lack of time lack of time to go to a dog park .. they could at least play together in the backyard!?!?

thank you!

huskies NEED exercise and a bored husky will eat your house.....

you need to devote time to walking him...

get him a kong or some other toys to keep him interested.....another dog might help to keep him entertained during the day but the other dog will need walking too or you will have 2 dogs eating your stuff

I agree that a second dog might not well be a good idea, until your current dog is behaving better. They often teach a new dog coming into the environment by how they behave. I would try leaving him in a crate (there are threads on the forum to help with crate training , or check here http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html) to reduce destruction when you aren't home. Another option might be to take him to an obedience and/or agility class, which will help exercise his body and his mind, as well as giving you resources near home for training issues and support - any help you can get is always a good thing! Good luck - I hope that it works out well for you! smile.gif

getting a 2nd dog will mean you have 2 bored dogs to do more destruction and more damage

you need to stimulate his brain and do more exercise. he needs 2 walks a day - a good hour each.

Also look at his food and how much your giving him. this will only add to his energy levels. if the food isnt good quality this will mean more additives again giving him too much energy etc

Also how long are you leaving him on his own? if more than 4hrs then please dont consider crating to prevent the destruction

ok thank you for all the recommendation! I'll try to put in a cage, the only thing is that I work 8 hours a day. in terms of exercise, I give him a lot . we will give him of good walk, pull the sled, go to the park a dog, mentally stimulating too!

I'll try to find a cage and try to see how he can act!

thank you!

you cant put him in a cage for more than 4 hours whilst you are out...

is there any chance of getting a pet sitter/dog walker to come in and walk him during the day???

how old is lestat? you shouldnt get them pulling sledges or bikes until they are at least a year

have you tried kongs and puzzle balls to keep him interested during the day?

what foos do you have him on? some foods can make a dog hyper.......

good luck with lestat

Ok, just thought I'd point out that it is possible to have a happy, well-adjusted dog if you work full-time. Plenty of people own dogs who have to work 8 hours a day. If your dog is old enough, it should be able to hold its bladder for up to 8 hours in a crate.

It just means that you're going to have to do a lot to stimulate and exercise the dog when you're home, but I don't think it's fair for you to be told it's not possible or fair to the animal.

Right now Lyra is left for at most 6 hours during the day, maybe once per week, but this summer it will be a full 8 hours in her crate while I'm at work. With the crate, we have no trouble with destruction while we're gone.

This is written with no ill-intent and is my opinion. I just think it's silly to think that huskies are only for people who don't work full-time.

Ok, just thought I'd point out that it is possible to have a happy, well-adjusted dog if you work full-time. Plenty of people own dogs who have to work 8 hours a day. If your dog is old enough, it should be able to hold its bladder for up to 8 hours in a crate.

It just means that you're going to have to do a lot to stimulate and exercise the dog when you're home, but I don't think it's fair for you to be told it's not possible or fair to the animal.

Right now Lyra is left for at most 6 hours during the day, maybe once per week, but this summer it will be a full 8 hours in her crate while I'm at work. With the crate, we have no trouble with destruction while we're gone.

This is written with no ill-intent and is my opinion. I just think it's silly to think that huskies are only for people who don't work full-time.

I'm inclined to agree, and have done this in the past when I didn't have an outdoor kennel run available. It would be ideal to only crate for 4 hours, max, but the reality life is that most of us DO have to work and be away from home more than 4 hours a day, and have to crate our dogs while gone. I've known many others who HAVE done this, and it worked / works quite well for them! Better to leave the dog in a crate than loose where it can find trouble to get into, breaking down the bond between human and dog, as the human(s) gets frustrated with the behavior problem(s).

For a puppy who doesn't have as much control of bowel and bladder, a small room such as a utility room or another place where the puppy may be gated in and can't do damage and some of the puppy pads or newspaper down is a better solution. For those who can, a sturdy outdoor kennel, with some sort of floor surface (wire mesh under gravel, patio block or concrete) that can be dug through - and if possible, some sort of cover overhead to provide shelter and also keep the dog in, is a really helpful alternative. For those who can't use one of these alternatives, though and has to be at work for a long day, well, it can be made to work!

For all of you saying you shouldn't leave them alone in a crate for 8 hours, HONESTLY if they are properly exercised during the day before they are put in there, they will be absolutely fine in there for the 8 hours, Zoey spends about 8 hours in the crate when we're sleeping and then another 8 hours, with a one hour potty break in the middle while I'm at work and she don't have any issues with it.

im going to agree aswell.....we crate shiloh at night when its bedtime- when we arent in...also if its raining and between the hours of 12-3.30pm during the day tues-fri (the little girl i look after is scared to death of him :rolleyes: ) if its not raining then he is outside in his newly built dog run......with all his toys- his fav at the mo is ians old leather football.....if it is raining then he is in his crate for the 3hrs

because of this and because he is now out for longer and more frequent walks i have had not one bit of husky destruction..he hasnt done a single bit of damage inside my house...he is actually really well behaved for a husky as i know sometimes they can be pretty bad

my house is exactly the same now as it was before we got him...he came home to us at 8wk old and we was prepared for the worst as we have seen the pics :o but he hs done nothing :D

i agree with the crating thing... my 3 are crated from 6.30am till my wife gets in from work just after 12pm its only 5 1/2 hours but its every day mon-fri and mine have no objections at all. if i say crate they bound into it and just lay down and go to sleep. also a kong helps keep them occupied for a while with treats in and peanut butter melted cheese etc..

Like everyone else, I think crating is your best option, as is keeping him exercised and giving him a toy that he has to work on (like a frozen Kong).

I know this sounds crazy, but when we were having trouble keeping Max exercised enough, someone suggested taking him to doggie day care. Sounds indulgent, I know, but it may be the best thing we've done for Max. I'm not sure if it's just an American thing or if you can find them elsewhere, but it's basically an indoor dog park that is 100% supervised by the staff. After a full day (10-12 hours) of playing with other dogs, Max would be so tired that he wouldn't want dinner, much less make trouble around the house in the morning. He would just sleep and sleep and sleep. We still take him 2x a week, and it's probably the #1 reason that he's so mellow and well-behaved at 2 1/2 years.

If this isn't an option, you can always look into having someone over once a day, around lunchtime, to let the dog out of the crate and give a walk. We do that with our puppy, and although it can get expensive, it's absolutely worth it to us.

My dog was like that too! I have a room just for her and she completely destroyed it. And I also have a beagle, to keep my husky, Nyla company but it doesnt help much. From what I learned is if she hasnt had a lot of excersice she has a strict 4 hour time frame before the destruction begins. But if I can get her really tired she'll be fine for the day. If you dont want to crate her I would just try and figure out a routine that they can tolerate!