is it right

tommilad101

I would always say ( IN MY OPINION) that adoption is better....there are so many back yard breeders out there that will fleece you and there are so many dogs that need a loving home-if you google siberian husky rescue you should find some good ones come up-each to their own.

If you are on benefits then you will have a relatively low income and huskies need really good diets (as they have VERY sensitive stomachs) so you cant feed them any old cheap food, you need to find what works for them, you'll also need to either get insurance or have the means to pay for vets costs when they arise.

You need to have a lot of patience-huskies are the most determind dogs you will ever meet.

You need to have a garden with at least a 6-8ft fence.

You need to be able to give them they exercise they require ( A LOT!!!)

You need to husky proof your house-they WILL find something you have left and destroy/play with it!!!!!

I'd say to meet up with some husky owners that are experienced, come to some meets, get to know their needs and then assess it-HUSKIES ARE NOT LIKE OTHER DOGS!!!!!!!! Please don't rush in to anything.....

DIz

xxx

pups are more of a hand full then most grown huskys time to mature dose these dogs well .......if your full time and want a challange get a pup

my advice is train train train train and never stop huskys dont eat alot they were bread to treck long distance on little food .........but the little amout they do eat must be full of meat protien 2 or more like chicken salmon elk as the main ingredients

and recomend never letting off leash till later years with trust also some like to crate train them so they dont go over bord on everything you own

helps to give them a job to do and train with positive reiforcment if you do negitive the tend to have a mind of there own strong will and there own opinon so they will fight negitive training all the way

last but not least watch for hip displasia blindness and some cases epileptic seizure

they need alot of time and remember there pack animals not so much one master dog

hope this helps and hope to welcome your pup/dog to the pack soon

Great Advice Diz +1

Also see this thread called. . . .

Thinking of getting your first husky . . .Read this

http://www.husky-own...usky-read-this/

Contains lots of stuff you need to know and consider before getting one.

Hi Tom,and welcome,you are not too far from me either :)

Do absolutely boat loads of research before you decide anything,then,IF you still think a husky is for you...i can guarantee you wont regret it.

i have a rescue who's now 2 and half yrs and a puppy,both are gorgeous (not that i am biased) but cant stress enough that its a lot of hard work with a puppy...albeit worth it.

you've got to be able to put the time and commitment into these dogs,dont know what you know already but they are not your average dog.

have a good luck around this fab site and ask whatever ?'s you like some1 will be able to answer you.

best of luck in whatever you decide.xx

hi all i do not own a siberian husky but really really want to. do you think its right to get one when im oon benifits? and do you think its better to adopt or to by a siberian husky? please let me no what you think please

thanx tom

hi tom.. first off i dont see that being on benefits is an issue.. making a good husky owner doesnt rely on if your working or not... so long as you can afford to feed properly that is all that really matters..love and affection cost nothing..

i would say that a welfare dog is best because there is so many that have had homes before and now need rehoming , so i would say think very carefully ask lots of questions there is many people on this forum that will help you in everyway possible because we all have the same aim and thats to do the best we can for the breed.. and be 100% and more positive you can do the best for the dog and give a good home for the rest of its life.. sadly to many people have dogs and then cant keep or afford and they end up back in welfare.. i have 2 of my 3 dogs that are welfare and will spend rest of their life with me .. i will starve to give them every thing they need....

few things i will say is make sure you have secure garden.... build a kennel or teach that when you are out they are caged... i personally am not a liker of caging dogs at home .. i beleive they should have secure kennel outside where they can have freedom.. .. just remember a husky is the dog version of houdini... and when bored they weill destroy your home.. if i can be of any give them what more help and advice please feel free to message me ...

so long as you can afford ..can give love.. can give them what they need..in everyway.. it dont matter what you earn.. and dont let anyone tell you any different..

some fantastic answers here, it gives you an insight into what being owned by a husky is about! The fact you are not working currently could be a bonus for your husky, you'll be able to take it on long walks & it would have company (they are pack animals & are very social, so will like having you there) but have a real good think about the costs (insurance, food - either raw or dry could be expensive) plus replacing anything they chew!! :lol:

Good luck in making your decision and if you do decide a husky is for you, please consider a rescue ;)

It's great that you aren't just jumping into it and are researching first. Too many people jump into getting a Husky without understanding the breed and their needs. That's why so many end up in rescue. One warning though, once you go Husky you will never go back!
:D

I'm on benefits and I have a husky. I just make sure we put bits aside for her care =]. We've been in deep poo with money, but never not been able to give her the care she needs. If she needs care, we'll get the money from somewhere.

We buy large bags of food (15kg) bags as apposed to the little bags, because it works out cheaper in the longer run.

We also weigh out our food so as we dont over feed her or under feed her. Which has allowed us to estimate roughly how long a bag will last us and how much we need to put aside.

If you can manage your money effectively and provide the right home for them - then go for it. But make sure you buy some accessories in advance like a crate, bowls and things so as you don't end up with loads coming out of your account all at once.

Stacey xxx

The biggest thing, IMO, is to feed properly and to give plenty of exercise. You would, as Richard already stated - have to be prepared for any and all vet costs. Huskies can get themselves into some 'pickles' and require vet assistance/treatment. There should also be consideration given for jabs, worming, and other "regular" vet costs.

Love and companionship for the huskies, costs nothing but time.

As suggested, you would need a fenced in area for them. They are escape artists and are born to run, so if they do get out, they run without thought or care which often gets them in trouble.

Peruse the forum and check out the various threads relating to owning a husky - things to expect. This is a very special breed and i wouldn't recommend it for first time dog owners or for those not willing to give the commitment they require. They are unique dogs who think for themselves. Not, by any means, a good guard dog. They rely on their human for food and companionship, but are just as willing to get their affection from ANYONE who walks in the door. While I know my girl loves me, I also know that she loves anyone willing to give her affection. If that bothers you, you may want to consider another breed. These are not "one-person" dogs, so to speak.

There are many here with loads of experience, each willing to share what we've learned with you. All you need to do is ask.

Edit: Here are a few good threads to start you off:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6922-thinking-of-getting-your-1st-husky-read-this/

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3683-thinking-of-buying-a-puppy-thread/

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1756-guide-for-siberian-owners/