size. how big should he be?

sarah63

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah thats what I was going to say Natalie... for some reason people think huskies and Mallies are the same thing so often think my girl is too small when in actual fact shes just at the smaller end of the standard, although it doesnt help when shes standing next to my boy whos so big I think he may actually be a huskamute... although I did actually nearly wet myself laughing at a vet who told me he was small for a husky I was like eeeerrrr NO hes small for a Mally but hes surposed to be a sibe!!! SO what chance do the idiot public stand if a vet doesnt even know what size their sposed to be!! :blink:

People seem to think Sibes are a large dog breed but they're really (generally) medium sized. It depends on the kind of people you meet.

On walks I meet a lot of toy/small dog owners and they think my sibe is huge, but he's only about 24kg so normal breed spec range.

People with bigger dogs sometimes comment that they thought Sibes were bigger dogs.

One of my husky mal crosses is a big boy though lol. Some huskies are smaller too but still normal :) my mal is small for the breed, she's about the same height as my male sibe but heavier and thicker.

I always get "Omg is that a husky puppy"

Er... No. She's 2 years 3 months old.

"...oh, she's small!"

She's just a smidge bigger than a border collie. I'll post how tall she is in a bit to compare.

But try to ignore them - They obviously don't recognise huskies as a medium breed - which they are.

Stacey xxx

EDIT: She's 22" If you're measuring from the floor to the top of her head

Crystal is 21" and she is 2 years old , i get this all the time with the so called experts off the street they never seem to own a Husky but i bet one of the friends do, So they will know better than you, its funny to hear and i just let them have there rant and when there finnished i walk off laughing.:P

ok he is 22 inches and 41 lb... he has just turned 10 month so i am guessing he is on track...

my Tikaani was 19.9 kg / 43 pnd and Macie 18.5 kg / 40 pnd at same age as your Loki is now. . so i dont think you have any issues think your doin totally fine.. as for size well all dogs vary in build.. like humans.. Macie my youngest is tallest and she looks very slender but is a good weight.. were as Tikaani has got a cross of her parents ..she has height but is stocky with it..

Height: Dogs 21-23½ inches (53-60cm.) Bitches 20-22 inches (51-56cm.)

Weight: Dogs 45-60 pounds (20½-27kg.) Bitches 35-50 pounds (16-22½kg.)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusky.htm

Crystal is 21" and she is 2 years old , i get this all the time with the so called experts off the street they never seem to own a Husky but i bet one of the friends do, So they will know better than you, its funny to hear and i just let them have there rant and when there finnished i walk off laughing.:P

the old say of if i had a penny for every time some one said that !!!! so many times people have spoken to me and they always seem to know some one that has a husky or malamute...

walk off laughing..... oh yes after i have started talking some made up *old BS * about the breed and then chuckle like mad when they start agreeing and saying oh yeh i knew that about them...

i always thought he was an ok size. but was just getting fed up of people saying.. oh well he is the smallest husky i have ever seen.. really makes me bite my lip. ..

don't bite your lip, smile sweetly & say "Thank you very much! I don't fancy having an overweight one, it's not good for them" and ask them what other huskies they have seen!! :lol:

I always get "Omg is that a husky puppy"

EDIT: She's 22" If you're measuring from the floor to the top of her head

If shes 22" to top of head, she is small - They should be -female -up too 22" at the withers (shoulder) male - up to 23 1/2"

So glad you guys posted this for comparison. I always thought Zihna was small but it seems she is just right. I measured her for another thread just the other day and she is 20 inches from the floor to her shoulders and weighs 37lbs at 7 month. I guess she just looks tiny to me next to big ol Whisper. :blink: Glad to know she is on track with height and weight. :)

Juno--our 2-year old female weighs between 49-51 pounds. She is beautifully formed and walks with pride on our nightly exercise sessions. I have also heard the comments about being a "little puppy"or she must have "been the runt of the litter." Don't worry about it. The people who say that are ignorant and have been caught up in the fact that is they are working dogs then they must be huge and weigh 80 or 90 pounds.