Fish Heads?

Paulusworm

Having spent the last week at work going back and forth to the docks getting fish heads for the kids to disect I got thinking. Can huskies eat fish heads? I can easily get hold of Makarel (sp?), Sea Bass, etc. Even had a few Salmon heads on thursday. They are fresh off the boats and have been sorted out by the guys at the fishmarket.

Good question. I don't see why not, but if I were you, I'd get more qualified confirmation. The only one I'd be concerned about would be the salmon, and that's because I live in the US, where most of our salmon is from the Pacific Northwest area. Salmon and trout in the US, should not be given uncooked to dogs. The salmon (and trout) can carry a parasite that when digested uncooked by dogs, is usually lethal. Does not seem to affect humans. But, since you are in the UK, I don't believe that raw salmon from your area is an issue.

Raw fish every once in a while can be okay, but note that it doesn't it doesn't have enough blood in it and is too watery in that form to be of much benefit to your dog. You should also be aware that it can cause a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency, which can lead to loss of appetite, seizures and death.

Cheers guys. Was thinking of doing it once a week or fortnight as a treat. Would mostly be makeral, sea bream or sea bass heads that they would get. Will give it a go and let you know how they got on :) .

You should also be aware that it can cause a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency, which can lead to loss of appetite, seizures and death.

Have a look at the link I posted on the Danger Foods thread pinned at the top of the board. It lists fish species which contain high levels of thiaminase, the cause of the problems you mention. The list in that document isn't a complete list but does show some of the commonly available species. Thanks for the heads up though ;):) .