Motor Sports...Kind of

andyman97

So, back in 2001, I bought my first brand new car with the intent of modifying it and making it really fast. At the time, I didn't know a whole lot about engines or how to make a car faster but I wanted to learn. So I bought a 2002 Honda Civic Coupe and started modifying it.

I bolted a basic turbocharge onto it and did some other minor upgrades. By the spring of 2008, I finished the car and started showing it at car shows. I rebuilt the engine with forged internals, revamped the fuel system, rewired the entire engine, completely redid the interior, brake system, suspension, you name it. I took first place in a few shows in spring/summer 08. Here are some pics of the car after I finished it.

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805-1.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

MaxTeins.jpg

UrbanRacer.jpg

NOPIMD.jpg

carmodel2.jpg

By the time I was done with it, the car was making 489 horsepower to the front wheels and about 360 lb/ft of torque. It was a monster, seriously. This thing was ridiculously fast and so fun to drive, it handled like it was on rails. So around fall/winter of 08, I knew I was going to have to spend A LOT more money to take it to the next step with new paint and some other modifications to keep it competitive but I decided it wasn't worth the money, as I'd already spent soooo much to get it to where it was. So, I decided to get rid of the car. I sold all the parts off and sold it off.

In December of 08, I bought an 03 Accord Coupe, EX V6 6 speed with leather, used. It was beautiful. I did some minor aesthetic things, like wheels, I did honda factory suspension to lower it a tad, honda factory lip kit, and some window tint. This thing really moved and was a fun daily driver for two years.

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

So after we got Kaya, I happened to be at the Honda dealership, getting an oil change. I was looking at the new models on the show floor and happened across the new accord crosstour. I sat in it, checked out the back seats, the cargo area, and the body lines. I really liked it. I wanted a four door that was bigger, with a decent engine, and lots of room for the dogs plus any cargo, as we'd just made a drive to New York for the holidays.

After talking it over with Jolie, we decided it would be a worthwhile investment for me to get one, so I negotiated and picked one up. I haven't looked back and I love the new car. Jolie finally drove it this weekend and she really loved it, too.

So, as you can tell, I'm obviously a fan of Hondas. Great motors and great engineering, I love these cars. How many times I've wanted to find a little Honda CRX to pick up and modify. Ah, but no more garage, so I have to curtail my hobby for a bit, lol. Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed the porgression and pics.

You must have a great paying job Andy as like you am in to my cars and can see what you have spent there ohmy.gifI have a 17 year old MX5 enuos and planned to do a similar thing myself but every time I find the money to do stuff on it Sue find something else it need spending on :(

Takes a great talent to do that to a car to that length :)

490 HP from a little 4 pot? No wonder you needed forged internals... :) that exhaust manifold was a work of art... Did you fabricate the stuff yourself, or buy them in?

Claire and I are partway through building our own car - need to get the engine back together after replacing the piston rings last year (!) and try and get it registered and on the road.... some build stuff here

I built 3 rally cars over the years. restored Austin Healey 3000's,

My rally cars were used in forest';s at weekends and took us to work during the week.

The very first car I bought was an Big Healey the same colour as this picture

ah3000-mk2.jpg

I restored it to full rally spec but coloured brown over cream rather than the black over red the one in the picture is.

We kept her 7 years and over that time restored 2 others. The money we made paid for 3 years rallying my brother and I did trying to get a works drive , in the end we came close, so close but ran out of money. My brother never rallied again but I continued Co-driving and did work with works teams.

I still miss my Healey 26 years later, I tried to find out were she was now but have been unsucessful so far.

She had a engine built by a cosworth Formula engineer all forged and f1 pistons. We recond she proguced almost 400 BHP, not bad for an engine designed 65 years ago. No turbo just triple weber carbs.

Wow, you guys take car building seriously! Nice. Vince, I checked out your blog, holy crap, what a project! That's similar to what I want to do with my dream car...a 73 Ford Grand Torino running the 428 Cobra engine on an AEM EMS, converted to direct port injection and a DIS for coil on plug accurate spark.

That's only a 2.0L Pinto engine you're working with? Only a 4 cyl? I've heard good things about the megasquirts, a lot of the guys I knew who built neon srt-4's (turbo neons stateside) used and loved them.

I didn't do any of the fabwork, the intake and exhaust manifolds were beautiful. The exhaust manifold was a fluke. I got lucky with it, it was a one-off that never made production, due to the lack of popularity for the single cam 1.7L I was using. The intake manifold was also a one-off from a buddy of mine in Jersey who did welding and fabrication, primarily on large boats but builds race cars in his spare time. He was very good. I never had the materials or equipment to really learn to do fabwork but I would have loved to learn. Ahh, how much money I could have saved with a tig welder!