"One bite your out" law repealed in Florida!

Arooroomom

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Doggies-Could-Get-Second-Chance-Before-Death-Row-114577264.html

After months of fighting, Brandies owners had their elderly Husky returned to them after she bit a small off leash poodle while she was on a leash. Now, the "one bite and you're out" law has been repealed and changed to 2 bites or 1 serious human bite.

Hmm, the law could be good or bad, depending on what side of the fence you are on. I'm sure the owner was so happy to get their dog back but imagine that your husky was on leash and attacked by another person's dog and, heaven forbid, killed. Would you think that the other dog was dangerous and should be put down at that point?

I'm not lobbying one way or another, I think every case is different but just something to think about.

The dog who Brandie bit wasn't on a leash (while Brandie was) and ran at her barking snapping and growling. That dog was not on a leash.

I believe the law was rather harsh and unnecessary and am glad it has been changed. Dog are animals and animals unfortunately kill other animals sometimes. It's a sad fact but I don't believe that because 1 dog attacks another it should be put down. And that's how it's been since this law was passed. If one of my dogs were seriously injured or killed by another dog of course I would be upset and angry... who wouldn't. But on the other hand I would be more upset if the county came and took one of my dogs away to euthanize them because someone's small dog ran out of the house at us and my dogs just reacted. I walk all 5 at once and that possibility is real. Maybe not likely (as my dogs don't mind small dogs) but it is still a possibility.

I know, I read the story. I'm not saying it's applicable.

Personally, I think there are way too many variables to have a blanket law for one bite, you're out, or even two bites, you're out. I think each case should be dealt with independently of a specific law like that. That said, if I was out walking Kaya or Max and a big, aggressive dog ran over, attacked, and killed one or both of them, unprovoked, they should probably be put down. That's just me. I should have some peace of mind to be able to walk my dogs on a public road (where they are registered with the local government) without fear of them being mauled/killed and nothing happening to the dog that attacked.

I know, I read the story. I'm not saying it's applicable.

Personally, I think there are way too many variables to have a blanket law for one bite, you're out, or even two bites, you're out. I think each case should be dealt with independently of a specific law like that. That said, if I was out walking Kaya or Max and a big, aggressive dog ran over, attacked, and killed one or both of them, unprovoked, they should probably be put down. That's just me. I should have some peace of mind to be able to walk my dogs on a public road (where they are registered with the local government) without fear of them being mauled/killed and nothing happening to the dog that attacked.

well said +1