LEASHLESS HELP

GBUCK

well its too frickin late to get a different dog hahaha i love my dog i just would love to have her off-leash and thats why i started this post in the first place. i wouldnt ever put my dog in danger, but a husky needs to see the world, they have that exploration instinct that gets them to run off in the first place because of it. i plan on showing my dog a lot of different enviorments and probably none of them will be enclosed so i am trying for a reliable recall.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"well i wanna take her hiking and to the beach without her wandering"

yeah that's not gonna happen so I suggest you invest in a 100ft lead and never let her off it unless in COMPLETELY enclosed area.

The beach not have many dogs but I'm sure there are plenty of things that would interest a husky and off she shall run resulting by getting hit by a car or you never seeing her again

Huskies aren't to be trusted off lead. If you wanted a good off lead try a lab or a collie. a Huskies instinct is too strong.

I seriously think you are putting her at serious risk. A long line, 30-50ft would be ideal for hiking, and the beach, you dont necessarily have to hold it, you can let it trail, and then if she's getting to the end just stand on it, so she cant get any further. I personally dont do this, but im a fairly heavy smoker and quite unfit, so if my reactions were too slow and the lead got out of my reach i'd have no chance in getting her. But I know many people who do

If she only listens to you 70% of the time, that means that she doesnt come 30 times out of 100, it only takes once for her to run over to an agressive dog, run under a car etc etc, thats ALL it takes.

Think about it, is it really worth the risk?? I know for me it most definately isnt.

ive never let my male off (the grey n white) and i dont need to - he has soooo much fun playing with my other dogs he doesnt even seem to notice the lead is on him - it just means i get to keep him safe and go home with my dogs still with me

ive let my girl (white) off once - n whilst she listened - she means too much for me to risk - which is why she also has a 100ft lead - i usually only use these leads with a harness - if they run the whole lenth n dont stop - on a collar - they will hurt their neck - but my girl got attacked so cant wear a harness now untill she has healed - i just made sure she never ran the whole lenth of the lead so wouldnt hurt her neck

Many of us have been involved for a good few years, and places like this give you a lot of 2nd hand experiences if you know what i mean. I have been addicted to sibes for 18 months, and that may not sound like a long time, but places like this give you so much info.

We're passionate because we want whats best for the dogs, many of us have heard the stories from other members. I myself havea few close call off lead stories, but i've told them a good few times :lol:

i for one would hate to see you on here in 6 months posting about your girl running off for the last time

sid it is not often i disagree with you but i think you are being incredibly harsh here-this person has come on here for some advice-not to be spoken to like that.....

i understand that we are passionate about our dogs and dont want someone else's dog to get hurt or run off-but the OP obviously has the time and effort to put in and has been to training before and likes to do it-and wants to take their dog out on walks where their dogs can explore also and is asking for advice off people who CAN let their husky offlead.

i had never let ozzy offlead until the other day and he was so good and so made up it made me happy in my heart to see-he was a rescue dog who we only got a year ago so hasn't been trained by us from a pup....there were squirrels and rabbits and birds and other people and dogs all around and he was fine-but yes i understand next time he may not be.

i just dont like the way the OP is being spoken to-and it would put me off going on a site if on my first post i was responded to like this.

Diz

xxx

i have another topic to bring up. huskys are obviously pack animals and a very effective way to keep your dog close when your off-lead is with another dog that has a 100% reliable recall (most likely another breed). this is actually the most effective way i can have my dog off-leash but its stupid cause i only have one dog and only can experience a dog pack when i'm with my girldfriends dogs. its pretty interesting how my husky will stay with me.

THE PACK

Alpha-me and my girlfriend

Listeners-her dogs

Followers-my husky

apologies sid it wasn't your post-my screen had jumped i think, it does funny things with loads of pics and nix's pics were making it do it :rolleyes: i bow down to your greatness!!!! it was this post that annoyed me

"well i wanna take her hiking and to the beach without her wandering"

yeah that's not gonna happen so I suggest you invest in a 100ft lead and never let her off it unless in COMPLETELY enclosed area.

The beach not have many dogs but I'm sure there are plenty of things that would interest a husky and off she shall run resulting by getting hit by a car or you never seeing her again

thank you for the support haha i did feel a little pushed but its fine i feel the way i do about things like the shock collar and have gotten in arguments about them. but i appreciate the advice. is there ANYONE that has a husky that can be off-lead at all times?

you had a husky that was a rescue dog????

the staying with the pack thing totally depends on the dogs, and it doesnt necessarily relate to how they are in the house.

My 2 are very close, curl up together, play together, pine for each other and hate to be seperated. If one is crated the other will normally sit by the crate!! But as soon as we go to the dog park (where they are off leash) they go their seperate ways, totally ignore each other and do their own thing.

But then I do know people who have coupled the dogs together (with a lead splitter) and allowed them to go off, but this only works if the dogs are perfectly happy at being permenatly so close, if they cant slip their collars, and if the other breed has a VERY reliable recall, and is stronger than the husky, if the husky is stronger then it could pull the other dog rather than the other way around

so your dog has to have reliable recall skills! if it qualifies to be a rescue dog.

No, we mean rescue as in rehomed, either via a rescue shelter or a previous owner, think RSPCA (sorry dont know the US version lol)

so it is possible!!! hahaha i will work hard. this is the first dog i've had from puppy stage so sadly within the first couple months (the most important) i was unaware of so many great training techniques. i feel like i am so much more knoledgeable about training and she is still a pup, only a little over a year so its possible to harness her recall.

she very good with the pack, a little more timid and does listen to me in the pack so doesnt take lead from the other dogs but stil enjoys being near them.

i am going to keep her on the 100ft lead like you all are saying though for probably a long time until i feel confident, that'll be the first step.

it really is the best way, after time you can allow the lead to trail, then remove it when she is coming back reliably. I personally wouldnt remove it, but Im a totally worrier and as soon as their out of my site i burst into tears!! :unsure: once you have 110% confidence in her then you do what you feel is best.

Im so glad you took on board the advice, in fact, im gunna rep you for the above comment :lol: