I just need to get this off my chest

HeatherOfJay

This isn't directed at anyone, but we all have our bug bears and this is mine: Spelling and grammar.

So here's a quick guide to the things that make my fists clench and my nostrils flare.

Your = Belonging to you.

"Your shoes" "Your puppy" "Your fault"

You're = You are (the apostrophe denotes a contraction)

"You're welcome" "you're so cute" "You're a muppet"

If you're still not sure which to use, then say it out loud "I love you're puppy" > "I love you are puppy"

Ridiculous, isn't it?

NEXT

There = A place

"Over there" "There's no place like home"

Their = belonging to them

"Is this their car?" "Their dog was going crazy"

They're = they are

"They're being unreasonable" "They're driving too fast" "They're not going to call"

Definitely

Yep, that's how you spell it. Not Definately, Not Defanitely not anything else.

Think of it like this: "Infinite", "Definite", and "finite" "finish". They're all part of the same group.

A Lot

Honestly, it's not one word. See this http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Probably

If you're spelling it wrong, then you're saying it wrong.

Yes it matters. Yes I know it's "only" the internet, but like I said this isn't specifically aimed at people on here, the number of work emails I get that are littered with this is unreal!

We all have our geekery and mine is language.

Fin.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Well you definitely dont want to go and look at anything on the free adds then! I have a friend and its one of our favourite games to go read the appaulling spelling on the freeadds! Other one is to go onto Yahoo answers and look at the baby names section and take the p out of all the chavs who think names like Destiney Antionette (although usually misspelled in some way) are lovely!

Yes I know we're judgemental and bitchy but its funny! :D

Now I see this as one of the diversities of the English language. LOL

I have to spell correctly in my job every single day. I am a computer programmer and if I spell something in my program incorrectly, it simply doesn't work. However I'm guilty of this all the time. I have a habit of putting ....... between sentences on topics here.

The other thing that we have to remember is that not everyone is as educated in the correct use of the english language, and also the english language is being added to all the time. Just for example it bugs a lot of people when words such as m8 are used, however this text speak has actually been added to the english language as it is now seen as the norm by the people who will actually be our future ie. anyone brought up with the technology to send a text message.

I have seen in the past forums who ban the incorrect use of language and get a little too hooked up on the whole thing, however its something which will never happen here LOL. I'd have to ban half our memberbase LOL

Good example, every person on here uses LOL, LMAO, PMSL etc etc and all of these are incorrect. They should be L.O.L, L.M.A.O or P.M.S.L ..... But who cares LOL

I am a writer, so proper use of words is critical to my success. However, I have learned to be tolerant of others'. Does it bug me? Oh yes, but I simply have learned, not to react. Keeps my blood pressure in check, and allows me to look smarter than those who don't know any better, even though I'm not.:D

I accept the difference in education between many people, it just worries me that these people have jobs in which they are required to use the written word.

I work with someone who spells as follows:

I'd = ide

Probably - prolably

anything - anythink

something - somethink (yet he doesn't pronounce them like this so...?)

right - rite

anniversary - anaversery

maybe - maby

And so on - I think I have a right to kill him, yes?

I'm glad I'm not alone!! When I read ANYTHING, I tend to proof read it too & pick out the errors; not so much on forums & such where people do tend to text talk etc, (unless I know they are literate & just CBA!!) :lol: If they have a genuine problem then that also washes over me, but when you read newspapers, letters & books & they are littered with mistakes, it drives me barmy!! :angry::P

I accept the difference in education between many people, it just worries me that these people have jobs in which they are required to use the written word.

I work with someone who spells as follows:

I'd = ide

Probably - prolably

anything - anythink

something - somethink (yet he doesn't pronounce them like this so...?)

right - rite

anniversary - anaversery

maybe - maby

And so on - I think I have a right to kill him, yes?

oooooh thats the one that pushes my buttons, adding letters to the ends of words.. Somethink, acrost etc! And I REALLY dispair when these are people on relatively high brow programs like say BBC news!! :blink: Learn to speak correctly for the love of all things holy!

If you have ever had a job/career that your mistakes in english grammar/spelling causes money to be lost, you don't make these mistakes. It drives me crazy also. Some of it is due to laziness, some of it could possibly be due to a learning disability similar to dyslexia, but even those with dyslexia can learn spelling rules and apply them. I know this because I'm trained as a teacher in special education and learning disabilities. I think that over the last few years and the growing popularity of texting, or people accessing public forums from their phones and using thumbs to type, also has a lot to do with it. If I were to write a report to send to a funder of a program and tell them : "Thank you for you're kind generosity" I think most people would not notice, but someone like me, would! It really is simple to learn and know the difference. The "y" words as well as the "there" words are mostly the worst. I am constantly sending emails to websites that misspell words. You only get one chance to make a first impression. The problem with spell check is that it doesn't read the content of your writing and therefore if you spell incorrectly and it is a possible spelling, it won't give you an opportunity to change it. I have found errors on websites from teachers and schools, and that is my biggest pet peeve!!! Also, spelling names correctly is another pet peeve of mine. If I write to you and sign my name, does it really take that much effort to look at how I spelled my name and copy it correctly? I've suffered with this my entire life because my name is commonly spelled with a y at the end, though my mom wanted to be different and spelled it with an i. Okay, off my soap box now. Did I spell anything wrong? I do struggle with this new keyboard and sometimes put my fingers back on the wrong keys and am a touch typist. Have a lovely day everyone.

well ffs i betta not write no more tonite, i aint got the education lol i write the way i talk but i can tell ya this it don't mean any one is betta than me.

so all you people out there that do struggle with spelling, don't let this put you off. i'm the worlds worst one lol do i care erm noooooooooooooooo

well ffs i betta not write no more tonite, i aint got the education lol i write the way i talk but i can tell ya this it don't mean any one is betta than me.

so all you people out there that do struggle with spelling, don't let this put you off. i'm the worlds worst one lol do i care erm noooooooooooooooo

I didn't get that this post was meant to make anyone feel bad, and I agree with you that how you are able or willing to spell has little to nothing to do with the kind of person you are. If it's important for what you are doing to write differently than you speak, learn when that is, and do what you need to do. I still struggle on here with some of the acronyms that people use and I can't figure them out...like PMSL...what does that mean?

It's not about struggling with spelling, it's about laziness.

Anyway, I can be annoyed about what I want and when I have to work much harder to read something, then, I think people should care about it.

There's the evolution of language and the devolution of language and while people shouldn't be judged on how they write, I don't think you have a job that means you have to write a lot of emails/letters or posters or anything.

Put it this way, if someone can't even turn on a computer, you don't employ them to be an IT security consultant. Ergo, if you can't form a sentence without acronyms, upper case and colloquialisms, you shouldn't have a job that requires you to have a "normal" level of English usage.

I say "you", I don't mean you specifically, Valkyries!

lol my spelling is bad, but hey some times it as to do with your upbringing, culture, where your from or your education in it's self. my spelling may be bad lol but i have a portfolio full of certificates and deplomas. so it may bug the hell otta you but i can relate to some people.

not being argumentative just saying lol

Anyway, I can be annoyed about what I want and when I have to work much harder to read something, then, I think people should care about it.

Personally I think there should be a comer between "what I want" and the word "and" ...... or maybe a full stop.... Can't quite make my mind up, but def something missing

Sorry. I really really really did try to refrain .. But I just couldn't help myself LOL

PS: apologies for the shortening of definitely to def