I Have the Bestest Puppy in the World!

Hyshqa

Kiska went on her first walk today with her doggy housemate Mindy. Mindy is a runner and when offlead will disappear into the bushes and not return until she wants to, so I offered the use of Kiska's 100ft lead, which meant Kiska would need to be offlead for the first time. I've been practicing her recall on walks where it's just me and Kiska and she's on her 100ft lead and she's been great so I was confident she'd be ok, but with Mindy about, as well as many many tasty birdies hovering on the grass around the bushes that she would now technically have access to (I don't let her in the bushes when she's on her long lead because she'd get all tangled and I'd have to go in after her :D), so I did have my concerns :unsure:

Buuuut I didn't need to worry, she was absolutely perfect! 100% reliable recall on this walk, she came everytime I called her back even if she was in the middle of playing with Mindy, chasing some kids football, or stalking a sparrow in the bushes, she came back every time I called her!! :lol: I'm SO proud of her! It seems like everyday she's surprising me with how good she is with everything and all the bad stuff I researched like to expect sleepless nights while crate training and so on was wasted on her, she's not done any of it :lol: I know that's probably her german shepherd side gleaming through though :P Either way, she's an absolutely perfect 'little' puppy and is making me love her more and more everyday :wub: Definately the most proud husky-mum right now! ^_^

Thats really great and Im pleased for you... although not to put a downer on things but usually people will find that younger dogs do have better recall as they still think your the best thing in the world.. Just be a little more cautious as she aproaches 6months as you might find her husky side kicks in and she desides those sparrows are way more interesting that you!... I know you probably know that and Im in no way belittling your training of her, which is very good and I would continue with this for sure, just thought I'd say it just in case. :)

Yeah I know :) I'll definately continue to practice her recall everytime we're out and if she ever consistently drops below 50% recall it's back on the long lead until she improves ;) I'd probably be way to concerned to do this if she wasn't a cross :P I'm prepared for her to always be on a lead if it comes to it, I just love that I can give her this freedom, but she's got to earn it :P