Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow - where to start-

Congrats and Welcome to the forum-

How Old?- and Pics as soon as you can please

There is a lot of helpful info here if you read thru the forums-

Crate training, feeding, getting through the night with pups can be a job-

Look around and if, make that, when you have specific questions, there will be loads

of helpful answers for you.

Welcome to the Pack! Two? Oh, you are going to have your hands full. How old are they? Got pics you can post?

First off, get into a routine with potty training. Don't use those silly pads. If they go in the house, but you don't catch them in the act, don't punish them. Simply pick them up and take them outside while someone cleans up the mess. Puppies can hold their bladder about 1 hour for every month of age, give or take. So don't expect a pup to hold its bladder all night. You'll need to get up about every hour and half to two hours through the night to take them outside. When they go potty outside, give them praise and reward them. You'll be surprised how quickly they learn.

Keep a consistent hand in training. Brief training periods, but frequent training periods seem to work. Huskies do get bored fairly quickly.

If you don't have crates for them, you may want to pick up one for each, and start crate training. Make sure you get crates that will work when they are full grown, but have an extra panel to downsize the floor space while they are pups.

I don't recommend giving rawhides. They can choke on the knots, and if they swallow them, that can cause serious problems. Chew toys, like kongs are great.

Avoid over feeding. That is one of the biggest causes of runny poo in Husky pups. Also, avoid foods that contain corn, wheat, soy, any animal by-products, or brewers rice. A lot of people here feed Taste of the Wild. It's fine for puppies and adults. There are some other great foods for Huskies as well. Grains like oats and barley are usually fine, but grain-free foods are really what I would suggest.

Do you have any specific questions? I'm sure others will chime in with some suggestions for you.

They are just about 8 weeks, we have one crate with a divide currently, would separate crates be best? We did pick up some puppy kongs and a few other things. No rawhides cuz I had read something on here about those not being the best for puppies. We have been doing a lot of research tho and hopefully it all pays off, we do know we will have our hands full.

They are just about 8 weeks, we have one crate with a divide currently, would separate crates be best?

Eventually, they are going to need their own crates, so it would make sense to start them off with their own.

What are their names? One boy, one girl, or two of the same?

First off, welcome to the forum. Very brave of you to take on two pups at once, but it's awesome that they're siblings and will be able to grow up together. My female had a litter this past October, and I kept two brothers out of her litter and it's been wonderful! You could divide the crate in half and each could have their own half, but like Dave said, they will each need their own eventually. There's lots of people on here that can help with any questions you have! And pics please :D

I would also suggest 2 crates - so that they don't become too dependent on each other. I haven't had a problem with my littermates becoming more attached to each other (or to others of my dogs) despite the fact that most of my dogs live in a kennel situation, but there is some possibility that could occur. To help build the bond between you two humans and Minka and Loki, you want to make sure that each puppy gets time spent alone with one of you, whether you change off or stick to one each. You want to make time spent with you more rewarding than time spent playing with sister/brother. The bond and the habit of doing as you ask when they're young will make it easier as they become teenagers and then adults.

Feed them small meals (the amounts recommended on any given bag of food are suggestions, and will almost certainly be too much for a Siberian puppy) 3-4 times a day, rather than leaving food out at all times. What isn't eaten in about 10 minutes should be put away until the next meal. If they're doing well on a food but get bored with it, it is better to not switch to something else - chances are that they will like it for a week or so, and get bored with that - which can lead to pickiness!

Limiting water consumption to drinks after eating and playing - and particularly for a couple hours before bedtime can be a major help in getting them on a schedule and helping with potty training! Ice cubes quench thirst with less liquid than water - and they tend to be a lot of fun!

Finally, hang a bell near the door you'll want the puppies to go out, at a level where they can ring them. When you go to take them out to potty, ring the bell, and take them out. As they get a little more bladder control, encourage them to ring the bell, and give lots of praise when they do and take them out! (Ring the bell! Goooood ring the bell!) As with training in general, keep it positive and fun, and most puppies will learn very quickly - consistency, however, is key! wink.gif

Good luck!

Great advice, as always, Gigi! +1 (I'm using the "ring the bell" with my two pups, and teaching the adults as well!)

Thank you (bowing - while chuckling)! tongue.gif

Seriously, it's a trick I really like - seems to work really well, and the dogs seem to enjoy it, too! biggrin.gif

Welcome :wave: Wow brave to take on two pups :P but with enough advice you should do fine :)

can't wait for pics of the puppies!

definitely recommend when potty training do not use newspaper, or puppy pads. set a timer and let them out every 30minutes, will make the process way faster.

get them their own crates, cover them with a blanket and put the kong in their with them and get yourselves ear plugs and ignore them if they whine and only let them out when they are quiet :) it will also help them if they each have a blanket that smells like mom :)

Welcome to the forum! You sure will have your hands full. Looking forward to pictures!

Finally, hang a bell near the door you'll want the puppies to go out, at a level where they can ring them. When you go to take them out to potty, ring the bell, and take them out. As they get a little more bladder control, encourage them to ring the bell, and give lots of praise when they do and take them out! (Ring the bell! Goooood ring the bell!)

We taught Max to ring a bell ages ago, but he refuses to do it unless he's reeaaaaalllllly got to go and we are completely ignoring him. That is, until we got the puppy and taught her to do it. He can't stand that she rings it, gets praise, and gets to go out immediately, so suddenly Max is the bell-ringing star at our house :-p

Welcome to Kira and Jonathan, Minka and Loki biggrin.gif

You've found the BEST husky forum in the WORLD.

Advice well. . . all of the above biggrin.gif

but as they grow things will happen or thoughts and ideas will occur to you.

THEN post and ask questions.

then we can be more specific with our answers.

The one thing you can guarantee is you WILL get answers.laugh.gif

Don't wait for that though join in the day to day fun on here. biggrin.gif

We definitely are getting them both fixed as soon as its allowed. The bell on the door knob is a great idea, we're gonna have to try that.

Oh and by the way, my name is Jonathan and my girlfriends name is Kira, we will both be using this forum and we appreciate all the advice.

As for spending alone time with each puppy, the plan is I will handle my boy Loki and she will work with Minka.

Jonathan, if your going to train Loki, and Kira is training Minka, I would suggest that when it comes to feeding,

You feed Minka and Kira feed Loki.

Dogs tend to bond to their trainer.

Feeding is also a bonding experience, and this will forge bonds between both of you.

Not just the trainer.

We taught Max to ring a bell ages ago, but he refuses to do it unless he's reeaaaaalllllly got to go and we are completely ignoring him. That is, until we got the puppy and taught her to do it. He can't stand that she rings it, gets praise, and gets to go out immediately, so suddenly Max is the bell-ringing star at our house :-p

They can be the oddest/funniest creatures - too funny! biggrin.gif