St Helens dog park to close

Val (Zebedee)

When I was at the dog park on Sunday for our meet up, one of the locals told me they had heard the council had decided to close the dog park down as it was not being used correctly or looked after. We did notice in the snowy weather, lots of dog poo being left on the floor (dunno why, it's MUCH easier to pick up in the snow!!) and while we were there, there was 1 idiot who came in with a young GSD, kept it on lead so it was going crazy, kicking at our huskies to get them away from him & his dog, right clown with an attitude he was ... stuff like this doesn't help.

What I would like to happen is everyone on here to contact St Helens Council & put your case as to why the dog park is so important not just to any dog owner, but especially to us as it is the only place to let our pups off lead in a secure environment & people travel for MILES to use it.

It doesn't matter if you use this particular park or not - if you use one in your area, please put why it means so much to you to have it there; if you don't use one, tell them how much it would mean to the breed to be able to encourage your local council to create a secure compound.

It would be so sad to see this park go without a fight :(

http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/page.htm?id=3496

Thank you :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a response from the council stating they have had numerous emails about the park but they are asking in which park it is based so they can contact the relivent people so for anyone who has not emailed as of yet please include the follow into your email the park is " Queens park lingholme road"

sent this

To Whom It May Concern;

It is with great concern I write to you regarding the proposed closure of Queen's Park Dog Park in St Helens.

I have 2 dogs (one Siberian husky and one German shepherd) and I also foster rescue dogs until they go to their permanent home.... and use this dog park at least once a week in winter and almost every day in the summer.

It is the only off lead dog park in the area and up until November I lived in Salford and came down to this park constantly-as do other friends from Prestwich, Rochdale, Manchester and Yorkshire. Now I live about 10mins away and this was in no small part due to the fact I could let my dogs off lead in a secure area nearby.

I am part of www.husky-owners.com and we often have meets at the dog park as it is the ONLY place that is secure enough for us to let our huskies off lead-in fact we were at the dog park on Sunday with a pack of at least 35 dogs for 4 hours-please see pictures at http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18569-st-helens-dog-park-300111/ from this week.

We have even had pictures taken by the local newspapers in St Helen's dog park when we were promoting the site last summer.

We are all responsible dog owners and always pick up after our dogs, we bring water and bowls and make sure if there are any tiffs that we sort it in seconds-why should such a popular place be closed due to the irresponsible few that don't do these things???

Please be assured that we will fight for our dog park.

I received an email at 12:45 and it says

Hi Chris

I am totally unaware of any proposed closure and consider what you have

heard to be unfounded rumours. Obviously users of the area need to respect

it and I am currently considering putting up notices stating what we expect

of users.

regards

Brian Johnson

Civic Pride and Community Spaces Manager

yep i got this too

Dear Miss Cartmell

I am totally unaware of any proposed closure and consider what you have