2 Huskies kill Jack Russel and maul woman

Rich & Kody

Im sure the huskies got loose... woman was walking her dog.. dog started to get barky and snappy.... huskies ran up.. woman picked up dog... huskies now jumping and biting at the dog... dog fighting back... JRT dies.

Keep your dogs in a fenced in yard. If that other report is correct the fence was damaged in december. Its now february. There's no excuse.o

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point of note, they have confirmed the dogs to have been malamutes and not huskies.

I agree the damaged fence should probably have been noticed and fixed, but the timeline on this is actually quite short. If that latest report is to be believed, the fence was damaged on Dec 28th and the attack happened on Jan 2nd. That's only 5 days. We don't know if the owner was home during the time the fence was damaged. Being the holidays, he might have just gotten home and didn't realize the fence had been damaged when he let his malamutes out. There is just too much we don't know about this leaving pure speculation.

Personally, I am going to make sure that I now check my outdoor set up more often for any sides of damage or possibilities of escape. Not that I think my pup would hurt anything or anyone, but rather that it would be horrible to have her escape and go missing!

Maybe going on the fence story the 2 sibes were scared and confused and a bit lost ( i know how doopy my Codey gets). As someone else said the JR probably had a pop (my neighbours one is always trying to wind my two up but they just ignore him) so the two dogs went for him and she's gotten in the way.

Not that that's an excuse at all but like a lot of people of said there is more too this than meets the eye

We really have no idea what happened and it's unfair to try and blame the woman and her JRT when we have no idea what happened.

Mals like Sibes can have high prey drives and it wouldn't be unlikely that these dogs could have seen a small dog like a JRT as a prey item especially if they'd never been properly socialized or trained.

That the dogs have not been PTS and that the owner has to abide by DD laws is a good outcome IMO.

If two mals had ripped this dog out of her hand she would have stated the dogs had knocked her over but there was no report of it. I can tell you if two Mals jumped up at you with aggression a woman would not have been able to keep her feet. Two Mals could weigh 14 stones plus together. If Talon ran at you and jumped up you would not be able to stay on your feet let alone another one as well.

I think the JRT attacked the two Huskies or Malamutes and the retaliated and she jumped in hands first to pick her dog up in the middle of the fight. Thats based on my experience with Jack Russells and their owners. Sorry to anyone here who has a little yappy as well. But more often than not with this sort of thing the smaller dog starts a fight it can't handle and get torn a new a** and the small dogs owner says its the bigger dogs fault, that they attacked for no reason but it wasn't their poor litle foo foo to blame for the whole fracas.

It is my experience that lots of small dogs are aggressive towards larger dogs,

Talon gets little dogs nipping at his legs, and when he growls at them, nearly everytime the owners pick their dog up and say;s your dog is vicous.

'What' your dog started on my dog, you stupid person.

Come on, guys. We are purely speculating here. We have NO right to claim that the Jack Russell started a fight and basically had it coming. No dog deserves to die like that. No owner should see their dog mauled to death in front of them.

I've met small dogs that bark and carry on at my dogs when we walk past, does that mean that my dogs are right to go up to them and maul them to death? Does that make my dogs retaliating right?

Even if the JRT "started" it - the two mals were OFF LEASH! It's not like they didn't have the ability to back down or run off. The JRT was on leash being walked by its owner. I've had ONE dog attack my beagle and it was no where near the size of a malamute and it took TWO PEOPLE to pull the mongrel dog off mine. I can only imagine how hard it would be to manage the same situation if two dogs the size of malamutes were attacking my dog.

I think it's quite likely that the mals were two very prey driven dogs who spotted the JRT and though it was prey. But who could say for sure? Let's just hope that the Mals' owner is responsible and will abide by the DD laws their dogs are now under and will ensure their dogs are never put in a situation where this could happen even again. I don't think having the dogs euthanised in this situation solves anything especially if this is the first incident they were involved in, and considering that it was the council's fault the dogs got out in the first place.