Teenagers & GCSE's

Huskycat

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i went into 6th form i done, I.T, Electronics and design technology.

To start with i was told i will struggle with I.T and originally i was told i could not do it! :o

so i said its my choice, if i struggle that is my fault.. at the end i came out with an A in my course work and a B in the Exam.

so just because they say you will struggle doesnt mean anything really. its what you put in what really makes the difference.

Good for you Sparks. You obviously respond to being told you cannot do something by proving that you can :lol:

I am very new to the site but read this thread to my 14 year old homework phobic son.

it was great to read him answers from other 'nagging' no I mean caring parents, and from young people who have much more recent experience which is more relevant to my son.

We have got some good ideas which we are both keen to try out, - hopefully we will find what's right for him.

many thanks to all who have contributed.

Its always nice to know we are not alone in our struggle with teenagers! ;)

I hate Teenagers, I shoud know I was ONE :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I am Cat especially after the meeting last month. Its a good job you mentioned it as I had forgot to text him back telling him how happy I was for him :blink:

Glad to be of service lol ;)

with the way the world is - no job is for life then i am a total believer in thinking of what you can fall back on! I did NNEB (childcare qualification) when i was 17 and have fallen back on numerous times when in between jobs, its got me jobs abroad etc. The other skill whihc has been fantastic is typing. i can real off a report in no time and can now touch type - again this has been fantastic. (your manger thinks it takes you much longer to do a piece of work and you can get away with longer breaks!! LOL)

If there is a trade they can fall back on if times get hard, then i think this is a good idea.

Straight up talking will only go so far.

GCSE's count for bugger all nowadays. Even the simplist of jobs require GCSEs and thats when you arent competing for other EU workers that are willing to be paid less for longer hours.

Nowadays you have to aim for A Level or better. That is the short and long of it now. You can no longer enter the real world with GCSEs and expect a job to land on your lap.

I have gone through GCSE, A level and put myself through Uni.

I have been a manager for a few shops, but were all **** wage and unpaid overtime.

I now work at Asda.

Tell your kid that if people that are University educated are finding it hard to get a job of any kind, what chance will he have if he buggers up even the primary school grades of GSCE...?