Reputation System Change

Marc

Hi All,

Quick notice of a change to husky owners (which will be monitored). A while ago I removed the ability to give out a negative for a post in which you dislike. On looking at this over the past few weeks I have decided that it may be more in the best interest of the site to have this switched back on. And therefore you will now notice that there is both a + and a - buttton attached to every post, so that you can vote the post up or down.

NOTE: Please do not be messaging people to ask why you have been voted down if your post is casted negativly. If something needs investigating it will be done so by a member of staff. If you really feel the need to message someone regarding the fact your post has received a - then dont be confused when the message dissapears, as that will likley be me.

Just a word of warning. Misuse the system that has been put in place for site members, then I will use the systems that have been put in place for site admin.

EDIT: All users will shortly be able to see by clicking on the number in posts who has given or taken away from rep.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent Marc...I agree that it may well work out to be a good thing.

Couple of queries

1) as Nix said above

2) would it be possible to change the orientation of the buttons, i.e. putting the plus closer to the number. I think someone might be more apt to accidently hit the negative with it right next to the number. (I know, I'm fussy just tell me to p*ss off if you liketongue.gif)

Technically the only reason someone should be given negative rep is for breaking a forum rule, deliberately giving out false information, deliberately being rude or nasty to someone (though tone failing to carry across may cause issues on the internet), or for telling everyone about something rediculous/cruel you've done ("i just hit my dog to stop him barking but it didn't work...help???"). Chances are, all those who've been worried about getting -rep aren't going to be making posts like that, so you've got nothing to worry about ;)

The only thing I would worry about is suspressing less confident members. For example, now I know that anyone can take rep from me I'd probably be less likely to be the first to state a difference of oppinion for fear that I'm the only one who shares this view and others taking my rep.

I wasn't a member the last time negative rep was trialled so I'm not aware of the reasons why it was removed. I probably won't use it as my preference is to ignore comments that I disagree with as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Can you consider moving the position of the negative rep button as it's rather easy to select it instead of positive rep

I think this can be a really positive thing in the long run. Should make everyone think a bit before they post.

And, I agree with Val - Admin. will surely monitor. They've done well with the forum and I think it's safe to say that of all of us, they don't want things to get out of hand. They're trustworthy folks these leaders of ours! Also agree with Nix that you don't HAVE to use it.

I believe admin is simply asking us to use common sense with both + and - reps. I feel we're all very capable...

I consider this a way for us all to monitor ourselves actually. I think it will make each of use put a bit more thought into our posts and think things through before we make any comment/post.

Really? I guess I don't get it. I came here to learn about other husky owners experiences. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart, and i haven't really paid much attention to reps or names, etc., but I think this sounds a lot like a slam book in high school...remember the movie Mean Girls? Maybe i'll lose rep for this, but that's okay, cause most likely, if I think my opinion or experience is going to be judged by people who don't know me, haven't met my dogs, and are willing to make posts about being mad at their mom and dad or get upset at what strangers say to them on a walk with their dogs...which i take issue to because until you've been a parent...just like, until you've been a husky owner....and I am not being specific to anyone because unless i look at the actual name of the poster, there are really only a few people i can even identify....guess this ought to really have been in a different area...what's that, the steam box or something.....nice to have been here, too bad it's come to this!

thank you Becky it's nice to have positive support.

Look guys - it's going to be trialled, if it doesn't work then fine but remember, this isn't a business, I don't make money from this site or gain anything from it other than friends and the hope that somewhere along the line a husky might have a better life because of something someone has read on here......... it's a hobby and it stops becoming a hobby when it begins to negatively impact on my life.

Ideas are implemented to make improvements. Some people will not agree with everything we do - it's a fact of life, however please sit back and think that there is a human being behind every computer screen that has thoughts and feelings before pressing a button :)

Heck, if it doesnt work sure i'll hold my hands up and say fair enough but i'm only trying to do my best for the good of the site and it's members.

It will be monitored to see how it goes - just use it responsibly :)

Really? I guess I don't get it. I came here to learn about other husky owners experiences. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart, and i haven't really paid much attention to reps or names, etc., but I think this sounds a lot like a slam book in high school...remember the movie Mean Girls? Maybe i'll lose rep for this, but that's okay, cause most likely, if I think my opinion or experience is going to be judged by people who don't know me, haven't met my dogs, and are willing to make posts about being mad at their mom and dad or get upset at what strangers say to them on a walk with their dogs...which i take issue to because until you've been a parent...just like, until you've been a husky owner....and I am not being specific to anyone because unless i look at the actual name of the poster, there are really only a few people i can even identify....guess this ought to really have been in a different area...what's that, the steam box or something.....nice to have been here, too bad it's come to this!

you see, Nanci, this is the issue - you shouldn't be "judged" by what opinion you post - all I have read tonight in various threads is "it's just my opinion" .... but then followed by a gripe at someone or something specific. And it's good to get your opinion on this out in the open forum so that MEMBERS OPINIONS are taken into consideration by Admin, after all, it is you guys that make this place & I'd like to think we are all here with 1 goal in mind .... and we wouldn't be human if we all thought the same, we be droids!! :lol: You are still going to learn about what you came here for, if members respect the forum & rules, nothing will change, please reconsider your leaving