2 month old Siberian Husky, can I neuter?

Gt90

Hi, I'm the ecstatic new owner of a 2 month old Siberian husky! He's the dog of my dreams! I am not inexperienced in dog ownership but I'm not overly experienced either lol

He's 2 months old and I'm wondering if he's old enough to get fixed? Or how to tell if he is fixed? As the previous owners didn't seem to know and there's no scarring or signs of anything down there. I don't want to do it when he's too young as I've heard this can cause health problems.

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an expert myself, but at or around six months, as long as both testicles have dropped.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to the Pack! Just noticed this was your first post, of many I hope. Would love to see some pics of your little guy. What's his name? If you have any questions, be sure to post. There's always someone willing to answer. In the meantime, take a look around the forum. There's tons of info posted that you'll find helpful.

A lot of vets in the US recommend six months of age to spay/neuter, but there is such a thing as pediatric spay/neuter, where the surgery is done as young as 6 - 8 weeks of age. One of the benefits is that younger pups/dogs tend to heal a lot faster.

You should be aware that there does appear to be a cultural difference between the US and other countries when it comes to spaying and neutering. From what I've read on the forum, a lot of people tend to wait longer to have their pets fixed overseas.

If you have vets in your area that can do the early neuter, it's ultimately up to you to decide if that's right for you and your pup.

Here's an article for you:

Early Spay/Neuter

See

A lot of vets in the US recommend six months of age to spay/neuter, but there is such a thing as pediatric spay/neuter, where the surgery is done as young as 6 - 8 weeks of age. One of the benefits is that younger pups/dogs tend to heal a lot faster.

You should be aware that there does appear to be a cultural difference between the US and other countries when it comes to spaying and neutering. From what I've read on the forum, a lot of people tend to wait longer to have their pets fixed overseas.

If you have vets in your area that can do the early neuter, it's ultimately up to you to decide if that's right for you and your pup.

Here's an article for you:

Early Spay/Neuter

See, I knew I was not an expert! +1 for providing the link.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Not sure what to name him yet as I literally got him yesterday!

I'm thinking shadow since the grey on his back looks like, well, a shadow lol but I'm not sure yet.

And as far as whether it's right for him I'm really not too sure. I might wait it out a bit and see if he has too much aggression since I do have a younger niece that would be around him a lot. Does neutering generally reduce aggression?

he's young i doubt there is any aggression there at all, and no normally neutering won't affect how aggressive a dog is unless it's a dominance aggression, only a behaviorist could fix this.

Thank you Jennet, I appreciate the info. And thank you everyone else, I didn't expect so much response so quick!

My dog didn't have a name for four days XD

Boyfriend finally suggested Kira (character we like from an anime) and I went along with it though I had my heart set on something else lol

That's funny cause I'm thinking I want something from an amine too! It just seems fitting to me :)

You can't tell if he's neutered or not because his testicles haven't descended :) I highly doubt he is neutered. Mickey was done at around 8 months and if ever I got another young pup I would definitely neuter before a year old. There are many conflicting opinions on this as there are some studies that say it effects them negatively and there are some that say it has little to no effect. Personally, my dogs are pets and I don't want to breed. So there's no reason for me to have an intact male/female running around :D With males it's not as an invasive procedure as it is with females and they bounce back fairly quickly. Males left intact have more of an urge to mark and urinate to claim space (sometimes in the house) as well as run off to chase down a female in heat.

Siberians are not known for human aggression and the only time there may be an issue is with small animals. But, just to clarify, that is not aggression... that is prey drive. Cheyenne has been around children since she was a young pup and does fabulously with them. The earlier and more frequently you socialize with as many experiences as possible, the better. Of course care should always be taken and the situations should be controlled. There was a young child running around at a dog park chasing Cheyenne and pulling her tail... You better believe I grabbed that kid so fast.. angry.gif Anyway! :) You want positive experiences for your new puppy.

Hi and WELCOME :) Glad you like it here already. I was the same way when I first got here and got a bunch of welcomes and lots of help in a short period of time.

When I got Zihna spayed they said you can start around 5 1/2 month. There is already great advice given and I agree with all of it. There should not be any aggression in a pup that's so young. I do have one question though. You said the previous owner did not seem to know if he was neutered already :blink: ? I assume that the previous owner was not the breeder then? Just wondering since he is so young. Well whatever the case may be, I am glad you got him and gave him a loving home and he will love your niece I am sure! Definitely NEED LOTS OF PICS!!!! :D

Hi amd welcome to the pack congrat on your first sibe can't wait to see pics. I would think getting him neutred at 6 months I know in the uk they won't do it until then. Husky play rough compared to most breeds just remember to show who in charge as he gets older he will try to be the boss. Neutering normally help calm a dog down and makes it less dominted to other dogs.

welcome to you and your pup.

Can i just ask,av you just got him from a breeder? you see i'm puzzled as to why at 8wks old you say his previous owners dont seem to know if he's been neutered,surely they should know everything about him and his well-being as i assume he's just left his 'mum' to come to you.

ive never known it be done this young,but then again i'm no expert,i just find it an odd thing to ask about a tiny puppy.

I was under the impression it was safe from about 5mths but i'm sure those in the know will be along and clarify what is correct.

The people I got him from apparently got him from a friend in a litter of about 12 puppies. They only had him a few weeks I think. Short of papers showing he's had his shots and a deworming I don't know much about his history. But it's okay cause he's happy and healthy :)