2 month old Siberian Husky, can I neuter?

Gt90

The people I got him from apparently got him from a friend in a litter of about 12 puppies. They only had him a few weeks I think. Short of papers showing he's had his shots and a deworming I don't know much about his history. But it's okay cause he's happy and healthy :)

Yep defo need those pics soon! :P:lol: See how he acts. If he left his litter to soon he may have not learned bite inhibition, and those puppy teeth are razor sharp. So just be a bit careful when your niece is around so she don't leave with scratches. :) If that is the case there is a lot of information on here already about bite inhibition and how to help a pup to learn it from you, but you can always ask if you can't find the information that you need! How is the little bugger doing so far with potty training? Hope everything is going well :D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent read all replies yet, so sorry if im repeating anything.

why did you want to get him done so young??

He hasnt yet reached puberty, neutering now would be like neutering a 10 year old boy. The hormones that kick in and start maturing him into an adult will be taken away before they have started to act, of course he will still grow, but he may not mature in the same way an intact male would.

Being left intact until adulthood doesnt mean he will become agressive, dogs can become agressive whether they are neutered or not.

Neutering too early means the growth plates dont close at the normal time, and so he may be leggier than normal.

I perfer to wait until around the 2 year mark, Kira was done at 2, and she is MUCH more mature than Grey, who was neutered younger, he is very much still puppy like.

this is just my experience though, but i'd recommend looking at all the positives and negatives before getting him done.

Sid, I don't know that when you neuter them makes that much difference in how mature they act - I think that has more to do with their personality! My Kodi sired a litter before I neutered him, and he'll be a puppy until the day he dies! Strider, who was neutered just before 6 months, is much more adult-like in his behavior, and he really isn't very tall and/or leggy, for that matter...

I probably wouldn't neuter a puppy before around 5-6 months, mainly because it allows them to gain in size, making surgery a little bit safer (it's pretty darned safe, anyway, but things do occasionally happen). That said, Strider was lifting his leg and starting to mark already at 3 months, and was literally working on moving up in the pack quite aggressively (and the older dogs let him get away with it because he was so young) that I wanted to nip the aggression as soon as possible. I also knew that wasn't a trait I wanted to breed from in the future!

I don't necessarily want to get him fixed. I was kinda teetering on whether to or not. If it doesn't have much affect on aggression then that kinda changes things too. But I did have a chance to look around more and he either has a few scratches down there or they are scars from the operation. The thing that gets me is that there are 2 separate scars? And one isn't really where I would expect it to be for this kind of procedure, then again I don't really know. But if he's already done then hey, it saves me pondering the question!

I think it would also be a good idea to ask a vet when you go and take him for shots. Depending on the vet they may even take a look and not even charge you if its just to determine if he is neutered or not. A pic be great too....maybe take one when he is getting a belly rub! LOL! Or I know mine sleep on their backs a lot with legs wide open. :):blink:

I personally wouldn't do it any younger than one yrs old.

As for it maturing them i have had the opposite effect from Sid wolf. I got one of my boys done at 18 months and my other male is coming up to 4 and still entire. Out of the two the entire male is extremly laid back and calm and the younger one is crazy!!

My female is also spayed - done at age 2 and she has not changed at all.

I agree with what the others have said though huskies are not an aggressive breed - I don't understand why you are worrying about this and assuming he will?? Or am I misunderstanding?