Honestly??

Willow

Why oh why do some people bring their pet dogs to a sled dog race? Do they honestly think that it will be fun for Fido to make friends with a bunch of sled dogs?? Do they think that everybody needs to know that they have a dog too?? I can't count how many times people have been asked to leave a race or at least put their dog back in their car. Most races even have signs up at the entrance saying "NO PETS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS POINT". Some people are nice about it and they willingly obey but then there are those who decide to make a scene and demand that its a free country and they should be allowed to do as they please. dry.gif

A few weeks ago I was at a race and my truck was parked right by the entrance and I saw a bunch of people both days literally read the "NO PETS" sign and walk in with their dog anyway. blink.gif One guy even brought his dog up to the starting and chute and he laughed as it lunged at the teams as they went by, almost catching one of the dogs on a team. He was asked to leave.

On the second day of the race a guy and his wife parked their car INSIDE the dog truck parking area right next to my truck. They were so close that I couldn't even drop my dogs before our race. It didn't help that they also had a GSD in the car with the window rolled half way down. angry.gif

A lot of these people have huskies and they must think that the rules don't apply to them because they have "sled dogs".

So for the ignorant Joe Q Publics out there LEAVE YOUR DOG HOME if you ever come to a race. It makes the experience much more enjoyable for you since you won't be asked to leave the race.

End rant.

It also enables you to have more freedom when you leave your dog at home. Some races have indoor areas to warm up, some even have food served and you can't go in there with your dog. They generally aren't allowed anywhere near the track at races held here, so there's no point in bringing your dog if you can't even watch the race! Idiots :P

I actually PREFER to leave my dogs at home when I go to a race to spectate! It means I can get much closer to the start and finnish lines and actually get to chat to the mushers and pet their dogs without being DRAGGED over their by my dogs off their head with excitement! Sooooo much easier without them there!

Some people are just massive TOOLS and dont think about anything at all! :blink:

Paws up - i've taken Kimba to watch a few races - am i stupid?? I never went near the start / finish line with him and kept him on a short lead at all times. I think if you do then you need to have FULL control at all times and be aware of mushers coming past with their team. Every time i saw someone approaching with their team I would have him sit and stay so as not to distract them or i hid behind cars / vans - sadly not many people adopt the same train of thought dry.gif

Why?

I was helping a friend for the weekend with her dogs and brought him with me - simple answer, he also got to try a short run outside of the circuit when the race wasn't on.

They do it at shows, too. I assume they feel that as some dogs are allowed, it's an ok place to bring their dogs!

Jaym, are you going to the Round Track races this weekend in Land O'Lakes? Friends of mine will be there, and wish I could go, as well!

Isant it next weekend?? we are thinking of going to the one next weekend and we are going to go to the one in atigo feb. 19-20 :). Do you live in WI?

I have been to a dog show with Lexy before. I didn't know they weren't allowed at the big shows (this was an outdoor one and we just wanted to wander round the stalls with her). We would have kept her on short lead with us.

To be fair to me in my stupidity knowhere did it say 'don't bring your pet dogs they aren't allowed in' on the advertising, I did make a point of looking. You live and learn!

Wow you clearly have a different atmosphere in the US

when im at a race im happy for people to bring their dogs over to say hello, as long as the dog is friendly and they check in with me 1st. At elveden we had Stevo and his little brother come over and say hi.

I took Kira to races well before she was allowed to race, I had to so she could be looked over. She met a few of the calmer friendlier teams, like rose's.

Some of the larger kennels wont like you going to say hi, but those of us that are here for the dogs and to have fun, rather than to win a little medel and bag of food are happy to say hi

I just got back an hour ago from another race that we are running this weekend and A LOT of people brought their dogs into the parking area and up to the finish line and starting chute. There was even a couple who were there all day and they had 2 dogs in the back of their truck. There were even signs up and there were pamphlets and advertisements out previous to the race that siad in big bold letters that no pets were allowed.

Sometimes I question people's ability to read.........dry.gif

Paws up - i've taken Kimba to watch a few races - am i stupid?? I never went near the start / finish line with him and kept him on a short lead at all times. I think if you do then you need to have FULL control at all times and be aware of mushers coming past with their team. Every time i saw someone approaching with their team I would have him sit and stay so as not to distract them or i hid behind cars / vans - sadly not many people adopt the same train of thought
dry.gif

Why?

I was helping a friend for the weekend with her dogs and brought him with me - simple answer, he also got to try a short run outside of the circuit when the race wasn't on.

^^^That is understandable. :)

Wow you clearly have a different atmosphere in the US

when im at a race im happy for people to bring their dogs over to say hello, as long as the dog is friendly and they check in with me 1st. At elveden we had Stevo and his little brother come over and say hi.

I took Kira to races well before she was allowed to race, I had to so she could be looked over. She met a few of the calmer friendlier teams, like rose's.

Some of the larger kennels wont like you going to say hi, but those of us that are here for the dogs and to have fun, rather than to win a little medel and bag of food are happy to say hi

Well the people (spectators) over here aren't as polite unfortunately. When some people bring their dogs they let them have the whole length of the leash and they bring their dog up to the sled dogs with out asking the musher. Then if their dog gets growled at then they blame the musher. A lot of the time they bring their dogs up to the start and finish line which is a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately if we let the good people bring their pets then we have to let all people bring their pets so its easier and safer if we don't allow pets at races here. We're not trying to be rude but the safety of our dogs come first and foremost. :)