Alaskan Husky

aronoiiel

I was reading this article on Alaskan huskies on wiki and am currently at a loss. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Husky according to the article the alaskan husky is not a breed as it doesn't have anything that distinguishes it from crosses but then it says they are chosen because of a specific quality. Then it goes on to say that mushers can tell what is an Alaskan husky from a hound cross. So obviously there has to be a way to tell right? Granted not something the akc would be able to officialize I suppose but it begs the question how DO you tell if a dog is an Alaskan Husky??? PS the dog in the picture is awesome looking lol

I was reading this article on Alaskan huskies on wiki and am currently at a loss. http://en.wikipedia....i/Alaskan_Husky according to the article the alaskan husky is not a breed as it doesn't have anything that distinguishes it from crosses but then it says they are chosen because of a specific quality. Then it goes on to say that mushers can tell what is an Alaskan husky from a hound cross. So obviously there has to be a way to tell right? Granted not something the akc would be able to officialize I suppose but it begs the question how DO you tell if a dog is an Alaskan Husky??? PS the dog in the picture is awesome looking lol

Read again - it says: "dog drivers usually distinguish between the Alaskan husky and “hound crossesâ€Â, so perhaps there is informal recognition that the Alaskan husky is expected to display a degree of northern dog type." Hound crosses are a type of Alaskan Husky - it's a term used for huskies that usually have some Siberian or another Nordic-type dog, crossed with basically any other kind of dog, but usually something fast. Pointers and Greyhounds seem to be quite common. There are several problems with these non-nordic breeds - they usually don't have enough coat for the environment, and their feet aren't as tough and well-furred for the terrain - so most mushers need, as I understand it, to keep crossing Siberians or other nordic-types back into their lines to retain these features. Because they do cross Nordic breeds in for certain characteristics they want/need, and hounds/pointers in for speed, they aren't breeding Alaskans to Alaskans, and you need to do that for a certain number of generations to "prove" a breed, and make it something other than a cross-bred dog.

That said - any of the Alaskan husky kennels has a specific plan for their breeding, and the really successful breeders plan their breedings and pedigrees every bit as carefully as any pure-bred show kennel! Hope this was helpful!

I think they would tell the difference in the same way a trained eye can tell the difference between a racing greyhound and a hare coursing lurcher.... they are ESENTIALLY the same breed but bred for slightly different things so a person who really knows what their looking for can tell.

Euro hounds like Gigi said tend to have more hound in them so less on the husky features nessesary for cold weather, I beleieve they use these for sprint racing only where the Alaskan huskies have more northen breeds in them so will more likely be used in the long distance races like the Iditarod coming up! :lol:

According to some of the shows that I've seen on the Iditarod and dog racers on various channels, some of the more reputable racers (and Iditarod winners) have said that an Alaskan Husky is just a mutt and could be a mix of pretty much anything. After seeing a few of those shows, I've come to believe that an Alaskan Husky really has nothing at all to do with a Siberian Husky - sounds more like an Alaskan Husky is just any type of dog that they choose to run on the sled team. Some of the bigger racer's (can't recall names them now) dogs don't look to have any Siberian Husky in them at all.

According to some of the shows that I've seen on the Iditarod and dog racers on various channels, some of the more reputable racers (and Iditarod winners) have said that an Alaskan Husky is just a mutt and could be a mix of pretty much anything. After seeing a few of those shows, I've come to believe that an Alaskan Husky really has nothing at all to do with a Siberian Husky - sounds more like an Alaskan Husky is just any type of dog that they choose to run on the sled team. Some of the bigger racer's (can't recall names them now) dogs don't look to have any Siberian Husky in them at all.

Hi, if you do some research on the Inuit and Nunavatuk dialects, you will find that all formations of Husky, Huskie and other spellings all mean the same thing; Mongrel, it is a direct translation and means nothing more, but obviously, Arctic and Sub-Arctic living conditions will obviously cause patterns of coat and eyes as found in the Malamute and Husky, so as the regions they are from are very similar and the base species all being the Wolves and Arctic Wolves then you will find lots of similarities in Mal's and Husky's, but Mal's have 6000 years as a domesticated Arctic Power House and writings featuring the Term Husky only showed up in the last 200 years.

So in any way I look at it, all husky's are the Mongrel type I think of and Mal's are purer bred, you only need to look at the Mal and the Husky stood together and the difference is amazing, Mal's are more Primary Wolf-Like, Stature, Head Shape and most importantly the enormous size difference I have noted on multiple occasions, for example, my male is now reaching 13 stone and he is slender, but 42 inches at the shoulder and still a good year of growth and 62 inches from nose to base of spine and his tail is almost 2 feet in length. So very noticeable difference between the average 4 stone Husky.

Hi, if you do some research on the Inuit and Nunavatuk dialects, you will find that all formations of Husky, Huskie and other spellings all mean the same thing; Mongrel, it is a direct translation and means nothing more, but obviously, Arctic and Sub-Arctic living conditions will obviously cause patterns of coat and eyes as found in the Malamute and Husky, so as the regions they are from are very similar and the base species all being the Wolves and Arctic Wolves then you will find lots of similarities in Mal's and Husky's, but Mal's have 6000 years as a domesticated Arctic Power House and writings featuring the Term Husky only showed up in the last 200 years.

So in any way I look at it, all husky's are the Mongrel type I think of and Mal's are purer bred, you only need to look at the Mal and the Husky stood together and the difference is amazing, Mal's are more Primary Wolf-Like, Stature, Head Shape and most importantly the enormous size difference I have noted on multiple occasions, for example, my male is now reaching 13 stone and he is slender, but 42 inches at the shoulder and still a good year of growth and 62 inches from nose to base of spine and his tail is almost 2 feet in length. So very noticeable difference between the average 4 stone Husky.

I can't believe the sizes that you have posted on here :rolleyes: It sounds like some super dog, what do you feed him on? :laughing: .........Ron

I can't believe the sizes that you have posted on here :rolleyes: It sounds like some super dog, what do you feed him on? :laughing: .........Ron

Hi, we use B.A.R.F guidelines, raw bones, raw meats, cooked rice with vegetables and meat, fresh fruit and a working dog mixer from pets at home, we also give them lots and lots of cooked fish with rice too, this helps brain function, coat dynamics and keeps their organs in tip top condition with no need for us to add vitamins to their diet.

My Female is topping 10 stone now and is only 3 years old and sled run weekly and walked daily, very stocky, she is considerably bigger than an American Akita that lives locally, she has a good stone or two on him and she knows it.

i must be doing something right as iv'e just exported a puppy to Canada and the family are astonished at his size, even Air Canada nicknamed him a walking coffee table and he was only 12 weeks on departure. lol, he weighed a healthy 15kg's on flight day, these pups are 15 weeks old on Sunday the 6th of Feb and they are all close to 20kg's now

Wonderful pics. I know just a little about Malamutes, probably just enough to be dangerous. I've heard that there are two distinct types within the breed. There are the standard Malamutes, and the giant Malamutes. I don't know if this is simply something that certain breeders hang their hat on, if there is actually a breed standard for each type or not, or if this is simply fiction. A friend of mine from high school had an Alaskan Malamute (male) that weighed around 105 pounds. I know of someone who owns a male Alaskan Malamute that weighs 175 pounds, and that animal is HUGE.

I do find it interesting, that though Malamutes of Alaska and the Siberian Huskies of the Chukchi region, while different in size, endurance, and stamina, can have similar appearance with regard to their markings. And yet Malamutes do not have blue eyes, but Siberian Huskies may have blue eyes.

Wonderful pics. I know just a little about Malamutes, probably just enough to be dangerous. I've heard that there are two distinct types within the breed. There are the standard Malamutes, and the giant Malamutes. I don't know if this is simply something that certain breeders hang their hat on, if there is actually a breed standard for each type or not, or if this is simply fiction. A friend of mine from high school had an Alaskan Malamute (male) that weighed around 105 pounds. I know of someone who owns a male Alaskan Malamute that weighs 175 pounds, and that animal is HUGE.

I do find it interesting, that though Malamutes of Alaska and the Siberian Huskies of the Chukchi region, while different in size, endurance, and stamina, can have similar appearance with regard to their markings. And yet Malamutes do not have blue eyes, but Siberian Huskies may have blue eyes.

Well Heterochromia Irides (multi coloured eyes) is actually present in all large dog breeds, just check the veterinary council's website, Heterochromia comes from the wolf, so just because the kennel club says its not acceptable doesnt detract from the fact that the breed must have heterochromia every now and then. Genetics dictates this as fact, I have had albino eyed, red eyed and purple eyed malamutes and yes your right there is 2 distinct breeds of mal, Alaskan M'Loot Malamute and the Alaskan Kotzebue Malamute. My male is around 200 lbs presently and still got plenty of grow in him.

thanks, i should get some more pics up really now im getting used to the site.

Hi, Im new to the site but i have uploaded some pics, take a look, i think i did it right, let me know what you think

Hi Tom and welcome. I can't find the pictures that Dave can see. Am I having one of my senior moments again.? :blushed: ...........Ron

Found them staring me in the face. I think all the stress of moving home is getting to me. :mellow:

Many of the Iditarod mushers do have very hound-looking dogs! They are much faster than Siberians or Malamutes, and with the use of coats and booties, can run in most weather, although I believe they more often run during the day, and rest more during the really cold hours, using blankets. Martin Buser has had quite a bit of success in the Iditarod - here's a link to his kennel - many of his dogs look far more like hounds than huskies.

http://buserdog.com/