Scooter, Bike, or Skates?

snssewell

Has anyone tried different ways? I been thinking about which one would be best for me. I suck on skates so I think I will scratch that option right away, I can barely keep myself upright without a dog attached :lol: .

With the bike I am a bit worried if she does not go where I want to go or if I have to stop real fast for whatever reason if I would be able to control the situation or end up on my bum.

Seems as the scooter would be the easiest as you are already standing and it should be easier to control if you have to hop off real fast if needed too.

Any thoughts on that? Won't be doing any of this until fall or so when she is old enough and I still have to find a place that would be appropriate to practice with no people there.

Just kind of curious who done any of it and how did it go the first time? Is it fairly easy or did you guys fall or get pulled somewhere you may did not want to go?

I also found this video and it looks pretty easy on there. I plan on working on the commands soon so she should know what I am saying by the time we can actually do this. :)

Video Scootering 101

So any thoughts on this is appreciated.

having done both.. cant say one is better than the other..

they both have plus and minus points...

scooter was more fun for me than push bike.. but push bike was more stable and less work..bike is easier to help your dog out than scooter... both the bike and scooter are totally different to control.. and ride .. cant really say one was easier than the other... its all a matter of personal preference.. think you need to have a go at both and see what you prefer and which you feel more comfortable with... no matter what anyone says about how easy or hard it is on either.. you may find you take to it like a duck to water.. or you may struggle to get to grips...

personally i feel bike is easier to controll but scooter is more fun..

good luck with what ever you choose... but my advice is more Huskies.. get a rig and never look back... lots more fun lol

I run Darwin on my Bike with a WalkyDog attachment.

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/Walky_Dog.html?gclid=CJnTgLfi8aYCFQse4QodBA-WGQ

Safer than Skates

Not as bulky as Scooter.

NEVER run your dog on a bike with the lead on or around the handle bars, too dangerous.

an alternative is the Bikejoring set up

http://www.bikejor.com/bkjr_equip.htm

however your dog/dogs need to know and respond to the gee / haw and other direction commands.

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

I run Darwin on my Bike with a WalkyDog attachment.

http://www.innerwolf...CFQse4QodBA-WGQ

Safer than Skates

Not as bulky as Scooter.

NEVER run your dog on a bike with the lead on or around the handle bars, too dangerous.

an alternative is the Bikejoring set up

http://www.bikejor.com/bkjr_equip.htm

however your dog/dogs need to know and respond to the gee / haw and other direction commands.

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

If I did the bike I would do the WalkyDog attachment. Did yours ever pull to the side? Or are they usually pretty focused to go where you go? I guess that is the only concern I would have on a bike.

My husband is determined to do the skates and I will be right there with him with the video camera and when he falls I will :rofl: and he will never hear the end of it!!! :lol:

hmmmm now there is a thought Sarah + Skates + Husky = very funny and embarassing Youtube moment......

sorry Sarah couldn't resist !!! lol

oi !

I have enough trouble staying on my feet with my two boys attached to me Gravity doesn't seem to like me - so i don't need any help from skates unsure.gif

I have just started Kodah with the scooter, first night following other dogs he stopped suddenly to shake as he hates being wet and it was peeing down, I hit both brakes and went over the handle bars!

Twice on the bike I have also gone over the bars (using a springer).

So both are great fun!

As has been said its easier on the bike, but scootering is very enjoyable though I was surprised how much work I had to put into it too. Kodah done well, I stopped and walked with him when he seemed to lose interest, 1.5miles ish so I was over the moon with him.

I think I will go with the WalkyDog I googled it and read up on it and there were several reviews from people that have dogs that like to chase cats and squirrels but the person on the bike barely noticed them launching at whatever. That was my concern as far as her pulling off to the side for whatever reason, but now I know it has a bungee lead with springs or something that will pop them back into place :lol: It also seems to be a lot cheaper for me to get a bike and a WalkyDog instead of getting a DoggyScooter and all the other equipment. So I think the bike will be the best option to start for me....and hubby can use the skates so I can get a good laugh!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now just waiting for time to pass so she be old enough to do this stuff :( .......

I just got a scooter and it's pretty fun. I don't have the right harness or anything yet, but we tried it out a little. I like being able to jump off if need be. But I'm a little biased against bikes, since I almost killed myself on my bike way back when. A few metal plates on the skull later and I'll just stick with the scooter. lol.

I just got a scooter and it's pretty fun. I don't have the right harness or anything yet, but we tried it out a little. I like being able to jump off if need be. But I'm a little biased against bikes, since I almost killed myself on my bike way back when. A few metal plates on the skull later and I'll just stick with the scooter. lol.

Oh glad you were ok!!! Yeah that is what I was thinking.....on the scooter you are closer to the ground :lol:. I think the bike be great for me since I could actually start out in our neighborhood up and down some of the cul-de-sac's. When we move in a few years I already told the husband I want to live in the country somewhere or a real quiet neighborhood with houses far apart, something away from lots of traffic. So then I could find a quiet place to try the scooter thingy. :) Make sure to post a video when you have everything together and had a bit of practice!!! :D

lol. I will! I think a bike would be great if you can get the dog to just run next to you. I'd be too afraid to have the dog actually pull me on a bike. I watched a youtube video of a guy who had hooked up his husky to his bike and they were going crazy fast! Wouldn't catch me doing that!

I think I will go with the WalkyDog I googled it and read up on it and there were several reviews from people that have dogs that like to chase cats and squirrels but the person on the bike barely noticed them launching at whatever. That was my concern as far as her pulling off to the side for whatever reason, but now I know it has a bungee lead with springs or something that will pop them back into place :lol: It also seems to be a lot cheaper for me to get a bike and a WalkyDog instead of getting a DoggyScooter and all the other equipment. So I think the bike will be the best option to start for me....and hubby can use the skates so I can get a good laugh!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now just waiting for time to pass so she be old enough to do this stuff :( .......

With the Walkydog all of the pulling is done from the seat stem.

Which is where most of YOUR weight is. So if the Dog pulls hard or tries to change direction then it's so easy for you to maintain control.

One thing to make sure of.

Make sure the stem attachment is absolutely rock solid tight, otherwise it tends to get pullled forwards and backwards and can get in the way.biggrin.gif

I use the walkydog and I've never been pulled off the bike, even when Aleu lunged for a dog once, there was a light pull but the shock absorbtion works wonders. Even though you sort of cycle with your dog, the walkydog is balanced in a way that you can still get them to make an effort at pulling the bike. I have to sync with Aleu, she kind of stables the bikes power on the left and I stable the power on the right. So quite often, she is actually pulling the bike, I just turn the pedels every now and again to support her.

I think Scootering looks wonderful, but it's expensive to get all the equipment together (if you're poor like me lol) and also a lot harder to transport. The walkydog, you can take off and attach to any bike, any time.

Stacey xxx

Weeeeeell I have a scooter and do LOVE it although you neeeeeeed helmets and pads! I have some luuurvly bruises on my knees from the two dog scootering expereince! LOL (I borrowed my mates boy and had my big lad on there too, she stood the other end of the feild and yelled buscuits.. Im lucky I hung on as long as I did! LOL)

But what Im actually thinking of doing is getting a go kart type thing! Im thinking 4 wheels without the heaviness of a rig! Eh? See where Im going with this? I think it genious I just have to find myself a go kart type thing thats built for bigger kids(so I can actually FIT!! LOL) and that has (or has the ability for me to add) some good breaks and a brushbow and I'd be away! :lol:

Not to thread hyjack but what does anyone expereinced think of my idea? Given that I only have one reliable running dog (Nukka just has a typical husky mind of her own so if she wants to stop and sniff she will!!) I think it might be a goer? Any thoughts?

Weeeeeell I have a scooter and do LOVE it although you neeeeeeed helmets and pads! I have some luuurvly bruises on my knees from the two dog scootering expereince! LOL (I borrowed my mates boy and had my big lad on there too, she stood the other end of the feild and yelled buscuits.. Im lucky I hung on as long as I did! LOL)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Did you have a death wish that day?! lol