I feel awful.....

Tan J P

Somebody i only know through f/book has asked me to look after her husky while she goes on holiday

she had a dogsitter lined up and they have let her down,trouble is she goes on tuesday morning and whilst i'd love to help ive told her i cant.

our dogs have never met and although she says hers is calm and no trouble ive pointed out that there's no guarantee that they'l all get on,had we had time to introduce and get to know her i would've taken her with no question.

What i find worrying is that although she is desperate(through no fault of her own) she would willingly let a total stranger look after her dog,she doesn't know me from Adam,i could beat my dogs for all she knows,but now i feel awful that ive said no,

why do i feel bad when i dont even know her? i feel like i'm letting her down and spoiling her holiday :(

i can see why you feel this way but you would feel a whole lot worse if you went ahead and then there was a real fight. Bringing in a single dog to an established pack needs to be done with care and caution.

You did the right thing, perhaps you could meet up with her in the near future so your dogs are familier so you could help her out at a later date.

But your right, i wouldnt let mine go out to someone i didnt know/trust. i would be cancelling my holiday, my dogs are more important.

Just think, she has a single dog who may well be chilled and relaxed at home. put him in a pack and you will be amazed what issues may come out. for all you know there may be major food aggression whcih as a single dog isnt a problem.

Talking from experience on this one...food aggression is common & extremely hurrendous when it all kicks off.

Anyone taking a dog into someone elses home needs to ensure and think about many things - food aggression, toy obsessive, escape artist, nightmare on lead, bad a travelling etc. and of course that all goes well with the exsisting pack. oh and not forgetting neuter/unneutered etc.

Totally agree with Claire its perfectly right of you to say no... if you get to meet her and her dog and everything is fine then maybe you can help her in furture but yes like you I find it a little worrying shes willing to leave her dog anywhere.. if thats the case she shouldnt have any trouble finding a kennel that will take him.

*hugs* its not ur fault tania - like you said theres no garuntee they would get on - its like me with blaze - as much as i would love to be able 2 help people out n dog sit for them - theres no way blaze would let that happen - theres a small chance he would be ok - but i would never say yes cuz i wouldnt wanna risk it and end up with their dog getting hurt

its really not your fault at all so dont think it is ok x

I think it was a brave decision to stand up & say no considering you feel you a bit guilty for not taking him, but you are 100% right. It is a big thing to look after someone else's dog let alone a strange one, don't feel guilty, there will be a kennels she can use & they won't be full at this time of the year, x

We looked after Mary R's Zac for a few days while she went to visit relatives.

However a couple of weeks before we got the dogs together in a park for a walk to see how they got on.

As they didn't have any problems we were happy to look after her.

However we would never simply bring a new dog into the house without checking the temprements together first.