Hello from Los Angeles!

kmorales

Hello!

My name is Kristhy and my 9 week old red and white boy is Dexter. I am thrilled to be here and want to begin by thanking those of you who set this site up and maintain it. Since the first time I met a Husky puppy, as a kid, I have admired them greatly. The last couple of years I found myself really wanting a dog and always thought about getting a Husky. As you all know very well, they are not a breed anyone should get on a whim. At this time, I felt it would be ideal to have a puppy since I have a light schedule. I read on one of these forums that perhaps a puppy is better, if you're new to owning a dog and want a Husky. I've read so much and seen so much that I felt ready. After my first night though I slept only about an hour and a half, can't remember most of the stuff I read, began panicking and started not feeling good enough for Dexter who just seems so wonderous about the world and deserves the best.

I went to a breeder two days ago and didn't pick the first one that came to me but observed their energy level and play manner. Dexter was inquisitive, playful but mostly calm and very sweet. I am in love with him. Also, I am very very very fortunate to have an involved mother, boyfriend and best friend who are all helping me through this by helping his initial training to be consistent. His first night home, I was on alert because I was so concerned about his him missing his littermates and mom, not to mention cleaning up after him. He was very good, didn't whine at all but did eliminate on the carpet, not outside despite taking him out after feeding him. However last night, he began eliminating outside and slept about 5 hours (I caught a few winks in between). He has however been chewing on everything but I have been putting his chew toy in his mouth instead, which has been helping, as well as whining and jumping a little after his walk (trying to figure out what he wants since he has been fed and walked).

I am enrolling him in puppy kindergarten as soon as the vet gives me the go ahead (appointment scheduled on the 14th). I refer to this site as much as my fried brain is able to and any advice is helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I will try to post a picture of him asap! By the way, anyone near Los Angeles??

THANKS![ATTACH]7734.IPB[/ATTACH]

Dexter1.pdf

Awwww what a fluffy bundle of fur he is. . . biggrin.gif

According to the member database there are 17 members in the Los Angeles area.smile.gif

Welcome to the forum- congrats on your new pup - He's beautiful.

It seem as if you are doing the right things. Don't 2nd guess yourself. Be consistent and patient.

Replacing objects with allowable chew toys - Good

When you go to take him out, be very patient. Sometimes they need to get over the excitement of being

out before they do their business. High praise when they do. There is alot of info on here for potty training that would be

helpful. Tips, tricks etc. - The main thing is to ALWAYS be in tune with their body language, don't leave them alone, and try to be able

to tell if they have to go before they do. Thats the best way to a speedy house break.

Good luck and Please post with any specific help you'll need.

There will usually be a speedy answer here as the people on this forum are world wide, so there is always someone, in some time

zone on the site.

There is a member map at the top of the page to find people in your area.

I am from Ca. but too far north for you. (Bay Area)

Again Welcome and good luck

George

Hiya, Kristhy, welcome to the pack :wave:

What a chunky monkey Dexter is! He is so fluffy & gorgeous!! You just HAVE to keep those pics coming! :lol:

Congrats on your new little bundle of fun, you sound like you know what you are doing & it's great that you have the support around you as well. There's lots of info around here in different sections, but if you can't find something or are not sure, post up, there's always someone around to help out :D

Thank you all for your advice and warm welcome. :) :) :)

Dexter, is sort of getting the hang of his crate, he'll go in and chew his toy, he will stay in there and chew his toys, when he falls asleep and we lay him in there. However, he is reluctant to stay in there after he eats his treats. While he is in there I praise him. However, in dog fancy's SIberian Husky magazine, there is conflicting advice with house training and crate training. House training requires I stick him in his crate (or else he'd wander out and eliminate everywhere), yet with crate training i need to take baby steps but he isn't comfortable staying in there for a long time just yet and begins to howl for a few minutes. I need him to positively associate being in the crate, yet I can't show him that whining and howling gets him what he wants...how do I navigate this properly? Also, he sneezed 5 times in a row today. Vet's visit is in a week.

Yesterday though, he had a great day. He was eliminating very well in the night and most of the day, even went #2 outside by himself while playing.

Thanks again everyone. I'm a bit of a nervous nancy about him.

• 7 months later...