Slip collars?

Kechara

So after reading through threads on here about collars I've found myself confused - What's the difference between a slip collar and a choke chain?

They seem to have the same function, but I read (on more sites than just here) that choke chains can cause serious injuries to the neck, back and trachea.

Many people on here say they use slip collars, but to me they seem the same, just made out of cloth instead of chain. The only thing I can think that would make this better is the dogs hair wouldn't get caught in the chain.

I'm probably missing something or maybe even looking at a different item. Admittedly, I've had Jake on a choke chain for a while, trying to work on his pulling... and while he doesn't pull so hard now as to cause injury on a normal walk, if he sees another animal around I'm worried he might.

I don't use them myself (my adult dogs don't wear a collar at all they wear a walking harness when outside and nothing while inside, they bite through eachothers during play indoors) but I think a slip collar would more evenly distribute the pressure around the neck than a chain, which would bite into the neck more.

Pretty much any collar can be abused and cause damage. A choke chain is a kind of slip collar - they can come in chain or various types of fabric. I think many people on the forum use a semi-slip fabric collar, rather than a fabric slip collar, but can't say that's so for sure. )A martingale is a kind of semi-slip you may see mentioned in places) I would advise never leaving a slip collar of any type on a dog - they can strangle a dog if it should get caught on something. A semi-choke is less likely to cause this to happen, as it is made so that it can tighten or loosen, but only within a certain range. Here's one kind of semi-slip, so you can see what it looks like...

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index10&recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=65&ProductNumber=CAA08&ProductCode=1&ProductSubCodeID=113&NewProduct=0&title_bar2=SOFT%20SLIP%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20COLLARS&title_bar=1%2F2%22%20MINI%20SOFT%20SLIP%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20COLLAR

You could look into getting a head-collar, which many here use (I haven't, so I can't comment on how they work), or you might consider taking an obedience class or working with a trainer, and seeing if a prong collar would work - do get instruction on how to put it on and how to use it properly first, though! There are some on the site who use them (I have and do), and some who really don't like them. Used properly, they pinch (try it on your arm to see how it feels - keep in mind huskies have more fur on their necks than we have on our arms!) and get the dog's attention enough to make pulling unpleasant, but don't truly hurt. It can give you enough control to help you teach the dog that walking is more pleasant for both of you when he's not pulling.

Thanks! I think I may try the martingale ones. He's really gotten better about pulling when just walking, but once he sees another dog/animal he loses it lol. I just don't want to end up hurting him with the choker, and he slips out of his regular collar to easily for me to use it.

I am using a choke collar at the moment and she hasn't pulled enough to hurt herself. the dog obedience club i go to makes you choose between a choke/slip collar and a head collar. I did use a head collar at first but willow hated it, it didnt do anything to stop pulling it just masked it and i was worried people thought it was a muzzle.

A head collar is good for helping children or people who arn't that strong to take a husky for a walk safely though

Slip collars are generally made from Nylon webbing; so they are more comfortable than choke chains. A Choke Chains metal links digs into the dogs neck when they pull. If you're not sure what the difference in the pressure they give, grab a belt and tighten that round your arm, feel how it's a tight but even feeling. Now do the same with a chain. Notice that the links can flop angles and dig into you at different pressures.

Semi-Slip collars only tighten a small amount, this is supposed to give more of a subtle correction and stops the collar from tightening, and tightening to the point were your dog is choking. Martingale collars do a similar thing but they are designed differently to give more of a pinch at the back of the neck (more like a mothers correction if you like).

You can also get Semi-Choke collars/Matingale choke collars. They are designed like a martingale, but the piece that connects to the lead and slips to tighten is made with chain rather than webbing (so part webbing, part chain).

Hope this helps you find the right collar for you.

Stacey xxx

EDIT: All of these collars can work effectively and well at achieving a loose lead dog, but it's about finding and testing which collar is the right one for you. You can also pop to your local pets at home, who will let you try on the different types of collars for you to understand which you think will help best with your training methods. Choke chains are not cruel or anything - people that let their dogs pull and pull and pull with no proper correction are cruel, because thats what causes damage.

I agree with what the others have said here. Stacey is 100% correct that you need to find and test the right collar for you and your dog. Every dog and owner will be different. Personally I use a prong collar when working on walking loose and a harness if we're out to have fun. In both cases she wears her regular collar too (too many tags to transfer lol).

My parents have a Saint Bernard and use a semi-slip for around the house and a halti for walking. The halti keeps the Saint from pulling on walks and the semi-slip allows my parents to control her at home (ie when guests come over so we can make sure she waits for them to get used to her large size :lol: ).

All three systems are great, it all depends on you (your style of training/walking/etc) and your dog (how he reacts to the different collars).

Cheers mate and good luck

I agree with everyone so far, but I will say that Ive not been using

chain slip collars for some time. I actually love the fit of karlys

semi-slip collars as they are easily ajusted to fit properly so the dog

cannot suddenly turn and slip out of them, and still lose enough to

be comfortable for wearing all the time. if you want to try something

that will help you have better control without that chance the doglet

could get hurt, Id try these semi-slips because they are not chains.

Thanks for all the input! I just found it odd when looking them up, the chains had such a bad rep while the cloth ones were fine. Definitely like the semi slips better though just so they don't get too tight.

I unfortunately can't try out many collars as there's not even a decent store around here. I ordered the full nylon martingale collar online, so we'll see how that works. His puffy neck hair does get stuck in the chain links a bit so I think it would be better :) Also ordered a harness for him for when we can finally get back into jogging; may even try biking with him a bit. Now I just hope I got all the measurements right! lol

Edit: For Jennet- The chain I use now seems really big on Jake too, but I've never had it fall off even if its loose with his nose to the ground. I was always wary it might though so I kept a close eye on it when he'd stop to smell something and such.

When ordering the martingales online it's best to order one from a place that can make them individually for each dog. The problem I had with them is that sure they wouldn't slip off their necks, but I couldn't get them off their neck without having to adjust the size. I began making my own so I could have an individual fit for each dog.

Let me be clear, with my collars now the dogs can't slip them as they will tighten but fully open (err best way to say not choking?) I can remove them off their heads. We only use these to walk when we're going into crowded places so having one that was easy to take on/off yet still performed it's function was vital. With other breeds this isn't much of an issue but Sibes have such thickly furred necks.