when to stud?

tommyboi36

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a reason you want to breed like increase your pack. He way to young to even think about breeding from. Have you got papers for him and eye and hip score as people will ask for them if they are breeding for breed not money. I would think twice about breeding him as there are so many huskies needing homes and who end up on the streets or in rescue. I can't tell you what to do but just think about it I would only let him have a litter if you are planning on keeping one of his pups.

Is there a reason you want to breed like increase your pack. He way to young to even think about breeding from. Have you got papers for him and eye and hip score as people will ask for them if they are breeding for breed not money. I would think twice about breeding him as there are so many huskies needing homes and who end up on the streets or in rescue. I can't tell you what to do but just think about it I would only let him have a litter if you are planning on keeping one of his pups.

Great post, i agree ;)

Never??

Or wait until he is at least 2, show him, work him in harness, get all the health tests (eyes & hips are a must, thyroid is optional but a good idea), find a b*tch that suits your boy (your breeder can help you with this) and do lots of research

though you may own the stud, you need to know the ins and outs of breeding, so you can help the ***** owner, its not a case of let the dog have a bit of fun and collect your money, you have to support the b*tches owner and you may be called on to help deliver the litter. You may also be needed to help home the puppies.

my boy is 9 months old now and is getting a bit frisky lol, i was wondering what age is suitible to start breeding as i do NOT want to nuterr him , thanks .

Being "a bit frisky" is not a reason to breed from your dog.

What's the REAL reason you want to bread?

Unless you have a full set of KC registered papers (going back 5 generations) and good Hip and eye scores,

a reputable breeder will not touch your boy.

Which means the only way your boy is going to get his jollies is with an unregistered (i.e. backyard) breeder.

There are already too many Dogs of all breeds being bred for the money (not for the betterment of the breed)

A lot of whom end up as strays or dumped, ending up in shelters or being destroyed.

Please don't add to this list

my boy is 9 months old now and is getting a bit frisky lol, i was wondering what age is suitible to start breeding as i do NOT want to nuterr him , thanks .

Before you even think about breeding from your boy, you should first ensure that he is suitable for breeding:

1. Is he Kennel Club registered? - if not, the pups will just be amongst the thousands of pups churned out each year by puppy farmers and backyard breeders breeders just out to make a quick buck (and hundreds of which end up in rescue). No reputable b*tch owner would consider using a dog which isn't KC registered.

2. Is he good enough to breed from. He may be a lovely pet - I'm sure he is - but does he fit the breed standard and has this been established by his record of winning in the showring at Championship Show level.

3. Were his parents eye tested and hip-scored? Has he been eye-tested and hip-scored? (obviously not as he is too young for either test). No reputable, ethical breeder would use a dog at stud without a good history of health testing back in the pedigree and good health test result in the dog himself.

4. Has he been run in harness successfully? - again obviously not as he is too young to be worked.

It may sound harsh, but the vast majority of Sibes in the UK are not suitable for breeding and even if your boy was one of the exceptions, he is much too young to even begin to think about it. No reputable owner would dream of letting their male be used at stud until they were at least two years old.

The other issue you need to be aware of is this - if you think he is frisky now, just wait until he has been used at stud. He will then become a nightmare any time he gets near an in-season b*tch. Using him at stud will make his "friskiness" a hundred times worse not better!

Mick

i do NOT want to nuterr him

Mind if I ask why you want to keep your boy in tact?

Did you know that keeping the testicles can result in things like Testicular Cancer. Having the testicles removed also reduces the chances of prostate problems.

If it's just that you want your boy to be satisfied with a bonk, you'd be better off not letting him do it.

Stacey xxx

Before you even think about breeding from your boy, you should first ensure that he is suitable for breeding:

1. Is he Kennel Club registered? - if not, the pups will just be amongst the thousands of pups churned out each year by puppy farmers and backyard breeders breeders just out to make a quick buck (and hundreds of which end up in rescue). No reputable b*tch owner would consider using a dog which isn't KC registered.

2. Is he good enough to breed from. He may be a lovely pet - I'm sure he is - but does he fit the breed standard and has this been established by his record of winning in the showring at Championship Show level.

3. Were his parents eye tested and hip-scored? Has he been eye-tested and hip-scored? (obviously not as he is too young for either test). No reputable, ethical breeder would use a dog at stud without a good history of health testing back in the pedigree and good health test result in the dog himself.

4. Has he been run in harness successfully? - again obviously not as he is too young to be worked.

It may sound harsh, but the vast majority of Sibes in the UK are not suitable for breeding and even if your boy was one of the exceptions, he is much too young to even begin to think about it. No reputable owner would dream of letting their male be used at stud until they were at least two years old.

The other issue you need to be aware of is this - if you think he is frisky now, just wait until he has been used at stud. He will then become a nightmare any time he gets near an in-season b*tch. Using him at stud will make his "friskiness" a hundred times worse not better!

Mick

thanks realy good post and to be hounest i aint thort that much about breeding him was only wondering what sort off age they do breed as in the future i would like to. He is kennel club and pedergree parents have won comitions and also brothers and sisters have aswell he comes from a realty good breader and very good parents

At the moment it was only a thort dunno why iv had a a bad rep mark ??

TBH I'd say the best time to breed is when there are none left in rescue.

You may not want to neuter him, but have you looked at the health benefits? Older males can suffer from many forms of cancer, you could end up loosing him at 8 years fr example, if

her were neuter he'd could live much longer. I'd really look at the pros and cons.

On a side note. 9 months is way too young. Give him till at least 1.5 years.

At the moment it was only a thort dunno why iv had a a bad rep mark ??

I think some people may have given you negative Rep under the impression that you were just looking for a quick way for money or just a bonk for your frisky boy.

That's the problem sometimes with short but sweet posts.

But +1 for you from me because you seem to be generally thinking about it and listening to what Micks expressed to you. Mick runs the siberian husky welfare with other volunteers, so you know he knows his huskies he also see's the reality of what breeding can cause.

Stacey xxx

I think some people may have given you negative Rep under the impression that you were just looking for a quick way for money or just a bonk for your frisky boy.

But +1 for you from me because you seem to be generally thinking about it and listening to what Micks expressed to you. Mick runs the siberian husky welfare with other volunteers, so you know he knows his huskies he also see's the reality of what breeding can cause.

Stacey xxx

ditto :)

Stacey xxx

thank you stacy lol

Now, my comment is going to come off rather bitchy, so i apologise in advance if i create any drama.

I personally added a -rep because the way in which you phrased your question and explained yourself really gave you no credit and basically made you sound like every other person out there that feels the need to fulfill some kind of egotistical urge to breed their dog and keep its balls. OR make some money from their pretty breed of dog.

Everyone on here will steer you in the right direction with info regarding big health decisions, ie the benefits of neutering and other enquiries you have. It's a great place, seems as though you are willing to listen and take in what others say. :)

i agree with all the above - i really dont think you should breed him

and also whilst his parents might have been in shows - no sure what comitions means? and yes maybe his bros and sisters have 2 - but that doesnt me HE will be good in shows

i belive you were given bad rep due to the fact the way you put ur post across meant just because he is 'frisky' <--- again not sure what u mean here - you what him to get his end away - n also he is WAY to young

ETA: if he is humping you or other objects - thats not sexual frustrations - thats dominance - neutering will help that - do you really want him to smell an inseason ***** and escape and run off to find said ***** (males can smell them for MILES) roads n stuff - he wont care about any of that

sorry about the spelling and how i come across i am deslectic dunno how to spell that ether lol so i do try but most off the time rong lol and reeno only trys humping female dogs never me or outher dogs only b*tches

Ok, well so far you're reasoning has only been that you are considering it.

To help you with considering it, it would be better if we knew your motive for breeding from, is it that you think it will satisfy him and therefore it will stop? Do you just want to see what his puppies would look like? Do you want one of his puppies?

Just the answer to that will help us give the right advice.

Stacey xxx

i think i just think its a natturall thing for dogs to breed and thort it would be better for him to relise all his testostrone my 1st consideraticon was for my dog and didnt rely have a 2nd and its not for the money i would do it for free it it was bettering my dog

It won't help him it will make him worse because he will want it more if he gets it once. He will run looking for a b***** and get hurt or killed do you want that. I would listen to everyone when they say its best to get him neutred as he could end up with cancer.