Rawhide for Huskies?

bmckearney

We got Timber back in early September and she is now a little over 7 months old. We're on our second training class (Intermediate) now and one of the topics from the first class was regarding rawhide and we basically learned that we should not give rawhide to a puppy. The instructor explained that the rawhide doesn't break down in a puppy's stomach and could cause problems. So, I assume that this means that we shouldn't give rawhide to Timber until she is at least one year old.

My question is do you give rawhide to your Husky "dog" (not puppy) and if so, what age is it safe to make it available?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine have always had rawhide they have the pressed bone tho or the rolls never the rawhide with the knots on the end - not sure about blaze but skyla was having rawhide way before 7 months old and shes been fine - she used to have them when we crated her when we went out to keep her busy

The chances of having problems are very small, but not impossible.

If it's just a rawhide stick, they should be able to cope with it, but I wouldn't give them the 10" long ones personally.

I would imagine if they chewed the shoe shaped ones properly they would be ok because it's very thinly made.

Stacey xxx

We give our 5 year old husky raw hide chews...its just the flat piece of rawhide though and not the bone. Our shih Tzu has them too, but we break it into smaller pieces for her. When I first got her 6 years ago the breeder had been giving her pig ears...I just couldn't buy them bc they looked gross. lol!

I don't give rawhide because when we gave it to Mickey years ago he bloated up like a balloon! Looked like he was pregnant with a basketball! About $250 later he was fine and back to normal. That was the last time we gave rawhides. LOL

I only give my dogs bully sticks or anything that Merrick (pet food and treats) makes for the most part.

I don't give rawhide to our dogs, though Ryn has had one pig ear (she loved it, but the crunching made me ill)

My concern is based on things I've looked up on the internet - doesn't mean it's right, but it freaked me out. Here's one example:

http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/rawhide.htm

I find it easier for myself to give raw bones from the butcher. Both dogs love them. Ryn is currently working on a cow joint which sounds absolutely disgusting, but she loves it. I let her chew a while and then take it away until the next day. She lives for her bones.....

We don't let Zoya have rawhides. Her breeder advised against them, due to the chemicals used in processing and the potential to cause a blockage if swallowed.

the only brand i will give my boys is from the "good boy" range in the uk - they aren't treated with loads of crap having said that they don't really take much interest in them now, they used to when they were younger, but i think i've spoilt them on bones and pigs ears etc rolleyes.gif

ok so mine must be in the minority... as i can't give mine rawhide.. they all turn their noses up and walk away....

animal lites Tikaani & Macie love but Nikita won't touch

they all go mad for pigs ears.

none will touch pheasent necks.

Nikita and Tikaani love rabbit but Macie wont eat she will just hold it in her mouth for ages..

can only give fresh bones from butchers to them as they all turn there nose up at the vacum packed ham bones from pet shop

after running they have hydralite all except Nikita who won't touch it.

hang on ..im starting to think my girls are bloody fussy !!!!! lol