any huskamute owners

jemmer

hi all

just had a question for any huskamute owners. do you have your dogs /pups oflead ? i know its normaly a no no for huskys but i keep getting told i should let tikaani of lead and im very unsure, there is a malamute down the road to us that is oflead in the fields and she is very good with him, but just wonderd what other huskamute owners do?? any info would be great...

i think it depends on the dog the fact shes so young she might not go anywhere - but do you wanna risk letting her off? - you can always get 100ft lead - train her a recall too even if you dont plan on letting her off just to be on the safe side

ETA: - used to know a couple of people with huskamutes - they let them off n so long as there were no other dogs around they were good - soon as they saw another dog they were off

My Willow is a Huskymute x collie she is very good off lead but I put that down to the collie in her. Try 100ft lead and see how she goes and how you feel with her. What is her pray drive like as thats mostly why husky's need to stay on lead so easily disracted....lol and deaf ears. Only you can tell if you trust her or not. All dogs are differant. I must say though on the beach where I walk i can let Akia my Husky of lead as there are cliffs one side and sea the other nowhere for her to run into trouble.Good luck and good training is the key I think but me no expert....lol :D

Codey is a huskamute and he is fine off lead and so is Molly by Sibe.

I let them off over the local country parks. I use to call them back as soon as we saw other dogs and put them back on leash now they come back as soon as they see the other dog (often before I do).

However I know i am VERY lucky that they are both good off lead

Since she's so young right now, she'll be good off lead. That's just the way most puppies are. They are too afraid to go very far on their own. Once they get a little older like 5+months you will really see a change. They get much more confident and start doing what they want to do not what you want. lol. So she'd probably be fine right now, but don't let her trick you into thinking she'll be good forever.

so after a lot of thinking i was at the fields today, and tikaani had 10 mins offlead, she absolutly loved it, i was with a group of other dog owners and 3 dogs.i know i have to be carfull and its not that im gonna go it everytime and i know she still younge and things will channge but it was sooo lovely to see her playing with the other dogs...... she just wanted to play with storm the malamute and the lab...

My boy is a huskamute with massive seperation problems (as in he panics if he cant see me) he also has reasonable recall on him as hes very food orientated... however I still dont let him off in unsecure area's... I love him faaaar to much to risk loosing him and actually the fact that he would panic if he lost me makes me even less likely to let him off coz I couldnt stand the thought of him upset running around trying to find me it would break my heart! :(

We let gus off lead but he is a malamute or could even be a huskamute he is great on recall but only on fields with no livestock or other dogs but he will come back when called when he with hollie as she always comes bk even when other dogs are around ice never comes off lead as he is a great escape artist even jumps 6 foot fences lol jasper we haven't even tryed yet because he still needs training on lead but mick used to let him off so he might be ok

the fields are away from the road and no livestock around. wouldnt do it if i was there with just me and tikaani, only when there is the malamute we see and a few other dogs as she is more intrested in them and comes strit back when called. was soooo lovely to see her playing offlead..

If you like seeing your dog play off-lead, maybe you can find a secure dog park or ball field where she can play? Our two go to a dog park once a week where they get to play with about 100 other dogs of all sizes and breeds. The area that is fenced in is probably 300 meters by 300 meters, so there is plenty of room for all of those dogs. The property is fenced in with a 8 foot fence the whole way around, so there is no way for the dogs to get out. Our dogs have a pretty good recall as long as there is nothing more interesting that they would rather do, but we do not trust them off-lead unless we are in a fenced in area. I think malamutes have a prey drive that is just as high as a Husky, so I am not sure a cross between the two breeds would be any better than a pure bred of either breed.

we dont have dog parks hear or any inclosed areas dogs can play we quit lucky to live so close to such open feilds, we sees quit a few other dogs and her fav is a malamute that is off lead in the feilds, she either gets all tangled up where she still on the lead and ends up sitting there moaning wanted in run and play, was realy lovely to see her having such fun, dont know if ill do it again tho

Flash is a huskamute and I am too scared to let him off leash. There are no enclosed parks in my area and I imagine his husky side of being stubborn and naughty is more prevelent than his malamute side although I was under the impression that

they were very much of a similar temperament and equally as stubborn and unreliable off leash and therefore I couldn't let him off even if I wanted to...

the mals iv met all seems pritty good off lead, in open spaces like feilds ect... tikaani is pritty husky in the fack she see's a bird of a flying leaf she wants it so very very carful with her, we been out to day with storm the mal and she stayd on lead, we saw a rabbit that had gotten out some1s garden on our walk today and she wanted it..lol... had to knock on a neiboours so they could hold her so i could run and get it.(they were elderly so couldnt go get it) that was my good deed for the day..lol

We belong to a husky owners group that gets together for meet-ups quite often. Several months ago we went on a hike with a group through a wooded area, and a lot of the people left their dogs off leash. They made the argument that the dogs will stay with the pack, and not venture off on their own. They kept trying to talk us into leaving our 2 off leash, but we were not comfortable doing it, so we kept them on their leashes. The group of them that were off leash did not go more than 50 meters or so from the group of humans, and they had a blast running around through the woods. I do not think it is something I would ever be comfortable doing, but maybe if they are trained that way from a young age, it is something that can be done in a group situation.

Our two walked over the fence the other morning (I have shoveled the roof of the house because of the 4 feet of snow in 3 weeks and did not notice the pile was over the fence) and I found them down the block at around 6 AM. They both come running right to me and into the house when I called them, but it still scared the heck out of me. It was 6 AM and there was nobody else outside on the block, so I think they came back because I was the most exciting thing at that moment. I do not think I will ever trust them off lead where there is a chance of something being more exciting than me.

Siber is let off only when i've got a big metal cattle grid and gate at one end of the road and a big dry stone wall at the other. He loves it and he comes back when i call him. It takes a few attempts some times. Would'nt do it anywhere else. I've posted pics of todays walk with him off the lead and he stays pretty much within 20 yrds but there is also a staffy that is always running back to us and siber follows her so she helps a lot..