Scared of Food??

Sarah

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps feed Kimba first while Kaiser waits? And once Kimba is done, feed Kaiser? In all honesty he sounds so much like Cheyenne it's crazy. I thought I was the only one with a weirdo Husky like that.

laugh.gif ever since he was a pup he's always been a bit "special" lol his nickname is now either - little sh1t or fruit loop ;)

Even though I have already responded, started thinking about this and what I don't think I've seen is in most cases, except probably some very extreme, a dog won't starve himself. If he eats once Kimba is done, then let him do it that way. If the bowl change doesn't bother them, stick with it. Stormy used to be very picky, especially when we had 2 other dogs and she would go 2 days without eating, but would guard her bowl from the others, and eventually they learned to leave her alone. The labs could eat together, but not her. When we first got Andy, he did not like his food, and you could tell that he was very thin and we figured he was either bullied by his foster brother or just didn't eat enough. Once we had him checked at the vet though, and we can see it also, his teeth are very worn down so sometimes he does have trouble chewing. I feed them Iams, small bites. They also get tiny puppy treats, and that way they can have more. Don't want to give them too soft of food because it makes it too easy not to chew. Andy has chewed through a few crates, and the vet thought his teeth looked like he'd been chewing on rocks. I wouldn't worry much until he starts showing signs that he is losing weight or is ill. Give him time after the other one is done and then pick it up.

If you tried to give him something really good like a chicken wing, would he be excited about it? From what I've read it seems he's just not interested that much in the food maybe due to boredom or maybe due to some physical issues (bloat?).

he's timid around chicken wings as well.....they eat them outside, and i go out with the pack and call them to me and ask them to sit then i give them one and they gently take it from me and dash off to eat it...............well Kimba does............kaiser walks over slowly and very delicately takes it from me but more often than not will just lay down with it and look at it ...... maybe i should try him on hamster food lol

As much as you don't want to encourage picky eating, perhaps a little enticement of the kibble would help? Currently Cheyenne is getting 2 1/2 cups kibble (won't touch real raw) and a few chicken wings. But before I added the chicken wings I found a nice smelling tinned food (Merricks) and put a spoonfull in and mixed in some hot water. The hot water breaks up the wet so it's easily mixed, but also intensifies the smell.

Also, when we switched her to a different kibble she began to eat more reliably. Right now she's eating EVO and Blue Wilderness (don't know if you guys have those in the UK) and seems to like that much better.

Also, she's always been on the skinny side. I actually don't remember when her hip bones WEREN'T visible. Freakin dogs.

well - tried again tonight and got some pics - fed them outside though so pics aren't great sorry lol

He was a different dog!!!!!!!!!! well almost - got them both to sit and put their bowls down and he backed off but got him to sit and wait again and then gave them the ok to eat and he went straight to it - didn't even look at Kimba!

Here's him eating out of a plastic bowl - haven't got a DOG one yet though so using a general one lol

gallery_3_2_67973.jpg

gallery_3_2_21783.jpg

gallery_3_2_55511.jpg

Now - shot from the top :(

gallery_3_2_1909.jpg

And Kimba from the top

gallery_3_2_13939.jpg

We had a problem 3 weeks ago Shaer stopped eating whether it was kibble or choc she wouldn't touch it. She would rush up and see what you had and then just walk away. It got so bad in the end we had to force feed her for over a week. Gradualy she started eating again and is back to 75%.

We think she may have hurt her mouth by nearly bitung through a live cable which I only noticed when I saw the ark in the dark.