Previous Tenants

Taylor Piskorski

As most of you know, I am moving out of my apartment and into a house March 1st. It's a rental house my parents own, so Andrew and I will be renting it from them for the next 3 years, after which we will be purchasing our own house. Well, my parents tenants had vacated early, so I went with them to check it out. These people have been living there for 2 years, and my parents did them a huge favour by renting it to them after they were evicted from their last house with 2 small children in the middle of winter. My poor, kindhearted dad rented to them without a lease, and without collecting first or last month's rent. We went in there today, and my god, we were horrified!

As soon as we walked in the door, it stank of feces. They owned a Great Dane, and apparently, it was ok to let it deficate all over my mother's hardwood floors that she put in herself. The stench was overpowering.

They let their children colour on all the walls with permanent markers and women's cosmetics, the bathtub looked like someone bathed a filthy monkey in it 20 years ago and never cleaned it out.

The entire house was full of holes in the walls, doors were ripped off hinges, wiring pulled down, lighting fixtures smashed. The worst had to be the upstairs bathroom, someone had broken the toilet so it doesn't fill

with water or flush, and someone had gone number 2 in there and just left it sitting. My mom actually burst into tears. Before they rented it to these people, we lived in that house and made it a great home.

There was all new flooring and cabnetry, fresh paint, new doors were hung, the bathroom was redone. We are going to have to work nonstop for at least 2 weeks to get it cleaned up, repainted and repaired before

Andrew and I can move in. They also removed every doorknob from the house, and they didn't leave their keys so now my dad has to change the locks. The phone number they had is now out of service, so we have no way

to get in contact with them at all. I am beyond disguted. I am going back over this weekend to begin cleaning with my mom, and I will take some pics to show you guys what they've done to my parents cute little Victorian home.

Thank you to everyone for reading until the end, I'm sorry it was so long :( Hugs for all!

Oh, Taylor - how awful! Some people just have no respect for others at all! I have friends who own several small apartment buildings, and after hearing some of their stories, I can't imagine I could ever rent to people. Sad thing is that it makes it so very difficult for good, honest people to find a decent place to live!

I wish I lived close enough to come help you... sad.gif

Sorry Taylor- It's hard to imagine why people would do something like that after your folks helped them out.

I've been in a lot of places where tenants have left it looking like you described and it never ceases to amaze me

that people could even live like that.

Keep your chin up and plug away at the work-

This too shall pass.

Oh, Taylor - how awful! Some people just have no respect for others at all! I have friends who own several small apartment buildings, and after hearing some of their stories, I can't imagine I could ever rent to people. Sad thing is that it makes it so very difficult for good, honest people to find a decent place to live!

I wish I lived close enough to come help you... sad.gif

Thanks a lot Gigi :) My parents usually rent to University students (we live in a BIG University town, I'm from Waterloo where the Blackberry was invented) and they always have a better time with the students because their parents normally co-sign and give a security deposit in case of damage to the property. They've been in the rental business for 20 years and my dad said he's never experienced anything like this before :(

Sorry Taylor- It's hard to imagine why people would do something like that after your folks helped them out.

I've been in a lot of places where tenants have left it looking like you described and it never ceases to amaze me

that people could even live like that.

Keep your chin up and plug away at the work-

This too shall pass.

Thanks George :)

What a disgrace :angry: I feel sorry for you all, especially your Mom and Dad after all the work and money put into the place. It is so unfair if you think about it, because it makes you think twice about helping someone in need the next time round. Good luck with the cleaning/renovations.

Wow thats awful! And the worst part is with parents that dont respect themselves or other people those kids will most likely grow up exactly the same! People like them should be neautered so their complete lack of respect for ANYTHING cant be inflicted on a new generation! <_<

So sorry to hear it Taylor and I hope that its not as bad as it seems for you when you come to clean up! Hugs hon! :) xxxx

:-( so sorry to hear this hun, make sure you get pics of everything. You can report them for criminal damage to the police also, how have they been paying rent? If it's via the bank you have their account details and police will be able to trace them. Also if they're on any benefits they will make sure they're getting them so the police can track them that way xxx

That is awful.

Perhaps this is why they were evicted from their previous accomodation ?

Good luck with the renovations.

The crazy thing about the whole thing is the fact that it was a family living there OMG what kind of people are they.

I feel for you and im sure your parents are so gutted.

I left my old rental property yesterday and I spent all day yesterday repairing any minor damage I did as I would not dream of leaving any damage.(even tho my rental company where rubbish I did nothing for me for the past year and 5 months)

People really do not have any respect it really is disgusting I only hope you can get the house sorted for moving in!!

Perhaps this is why they were evicted from their previous accomodation ?

Andy, that was my first thought too - how can someone treat someone else's property with so much disrespect? I used to rent & would spend days cleaning if I were moving out. It's a real pity they tugged at your Dad's heartstrings when he agreed to rent them the property, he has no bond to help with the clearing up. :(

Rigth, was there any sort of paperwork signed by these people with your folks?

did they give the references of the previous landlord that evicted them?

TAKE LOADS AND LOADS OF PHOTOS BEFORE YOU CLEAN UP THE PLACE. THIS WILL HELP SHOULD ANY COURT OR CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS CAN BE BROUGHT AGAINST THEM.

Keep every single invoice and receipt you need to pay in order to clean up the place to a livable condition that it was oringinally in.

They never gave over any references, and always paid their rent in cash, and very rarely, a check. They never signed a proper lease, just a short paragraph type one stating the rent they would pay monthly for 1 year, then they would just go month to month without a lease (very typical in renting in Ontario). Like I said, the numnber my parents had for them is now out of service, they never told my parents where they were moving, and they've left my parents with a huge mess to clean up and a giant unpaid water bill (again, in Ontario, a rental property's water bill is in the landlords name, not the tenants, so if the tenant doesnt pay the landlord has to). my dad's really kicking himself in the ass now, but he can't do anything about it now. He just felt bad for them because they had young kids who needed a roof over their head, since he's a father of four, he would hope someone would do the same for him should the situation be reversed.

When you have kids, they can be tracked easily through the school.

Find out where the kids go to and then you'll be able to track them down.

Doesn't matter if it weren't the lease, they have signed something, that is proof they lived there and the mess they've lived in.

Put your feelers out fr landlords in the area, I'm guessing your folks and the last landlord won't be the only victims of this family, you maybe able to peice together more info and in turn a bigger case to go against them.

Not a lot I can say about the unpaid bill, in the Uk, debts like that now follow the person and not the property/landlord.

It's so sad the lack of respect people have for others things and for themselves! I would not want to live in a house like that, especially with 2 children of my own! What goes around comes around and they'll get it back one way or another. Really sorry your family has to deal with this, Taylor.