My First Husky - TIPS?

therockabillydolly

I have recently brought a 12 month old Female siberian husky, (with all papers. K.C REG, 5 generations pedigree, we paid for her in advance, from a reputable local breeder. (got a receipt of course) as we are moving house and the owner agreed to look after her til we are moved and settled, as obviously a change of owner is stress enough for her.

she is a lovely animal, very excitable and energetic, and as far as i can tell from our first meeting incredably loving. I have wanted a husky well over ten years so this is a dream come true for me.

HOWEVER we are now in the stages of buying her toys, grooming stuff, treats, food, bedding ect ready for her arrival.

does anyone have any reccomendations of what sort of things would be good for her?

i have done all my research online but i want to make sure everything is perfect for her and make sure she has everything she needs.

Have attached a pic :)

post-3298-13585960853219_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well without knowing her personality I cant tell you for sure what stuff she'd like and what she wouldnt as huskies are notorious for not going with what the books say they should do!! LOL

However I can tell you what works for us...

Very strong and durable toys, hard rubber stuff like kongs etc.. anything flimsier than that would last 5 minutes in my house!

Food, I personally use natures menu frozen raw food.. its a complete food with no addertives or cheap fillers that could upset a huskies delicate stomach, treat wise I like the "good boy" deli treats, they come in a variety of nice meaty stuff and again no adertives or rubbish that might upset them.

Grooming I like to have a slicker brush and a fine tooth comb but it depends what your new dogs coat is like as to what might work best for her.

Bedding, I like to have a cushion type thing with a fleece blanket over the top so its easy just to pull off the blanket and wash it and it keeps the bed cleaner but it depends if you have a bed killer or not so you might need something tougher.. I have one bed killer and one none killer so I have to have some of each! LOL

You will want to look into getting either a giant flexi or a long training line so your girl can get a good run around and you have the safety that shes not going anywhere.

A good set of ID tags with your name adress and tel on are a must and I have Microchiped on mine too so they know they can scan them to get more details.

Well thats all I can think of atm so any specific questions shout up and we'll answer them for you...

Ohh whats her name? Are you gunna keep it or rename her?

Finally WELCOME to the husky family!! :D

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised you had to pay for a 12 month old :S

Things you most likly want to have is a Kong, if shes going to be left alone for periods of time, these can be invaluable. Depending on her mentality she may not be one for

toys (my boy for example wont pay any attention to them, But my female will :S ) Rawhide bones can be a furniture saver too.

Have you decided on whether or not you will crate train her?

And you will need a good grooming brush for when she blows her coat :P

Best Regards & Best of luck!

Rich & Kody

hi and welcome to the forum, she is lovely, congrats on your new addition, hope she settles in ok after you have moved. i have a 16 week old huskamute so cant realy help on a 12 month old, but id say get a good strong long flexi lead and tags n chipded as other posters recomened.and good strong toys .lol

i have brought her a kong wobbler - i got told they were brilliant ... when we saw her she was obsessed with a tennis ball - and was actually playing fetch with us in the current owners kitchen! (they said huskys willing to actually play fetch was quite rare... not sure if thats true?) so as she seemed to love the tennis ball so much i got her some MINT flavoured tennis balls (obv for supervised playing as i can see her eating them if im honest)

HER NAME IS KEIRA we thought it would be unfair to change it as its the name she has responded to for the past year although im partial to the name mishka - (maybe another name for another husky?)

have got her some james wellbeloved organic hypo allerenic dog treats... but she might not like them! thought they were worth a try!

not sure if our pet stores sell the food you mentioned where do you buy yours from?

have brought an undercoat rake as i was reccomended to ge t one by owner... not going to crate train her. we have a conservatory through dining room we wont even use in our new house so i was just going to turn it into *her room* for when we are out and then give her run of the house when we are in....

the owners who have her now say she is brill with cats, and when we viewed her (as they also breed pomeranians)

she was following them around licking their faces and grooming them like little puppies! she seems very sweet natured but a bit hyper - which as she is a young dog i kinda expected

we paid £170 for her, which i considered a bargain. as unregistered were picking up £500 and i have seen registered puppies in our paper going £1500 each

Hi Lauren and welcome,congrats on yor new 'baby'

As the others have said regarding toys....there's not much out there that they dont destroy within minutes,but the nylabones are long lasting.

regards the food,find out what she has been eating and either stick with it or if you are going to change make sure you do it over a period of about a wk,mixing new food with the old and gradually increasing the new until thats all she gets otherwise you could set her tummy off,as uve done your research you'll know they are notorious for 'icky tums'.

good luck with her and your new home....and of course your new family.....US LOT!! :D

lol thanks for the welcome guys - the food the previous owners are buying we can't get locally - obviously i want her to get the best nutrition possible (im not really bothered about the price)

we are able to go to places like wolverhampton, shrewsbury, newport, (and of course our town TELFORD) for food... or possibly order offline? and yes TANJP she will most definately be my baby so when we get her on the 21st expect tonnes of pictures !

will prob get a nylabone as have been considering buying one of those for a while..

whats everyones outlook on these *stuffingless teddys?* have seen them in the shops a lot - now i dont mind the mess but are they really any good?

we have got her tags done and will prob get her microchipped when we get her,

i also read that huskies have a tenancy to run away off leadend up wandering miles away and get lost... is this true as i see a lot of pictures of huskies off lead having a good run in the snow...

i think its kinda cruel not to give them the freedom to have a good run but i dont want to loose her or her to get stolen.

whats everyones outlook on these *stuffingless teddys?* have seen them in the shops a lot - now i dont mind the mess but are they really any good?

They are as durable as they sound. I saw a test review of it with a husky, and it lasted half an hour. If you don't want them to eat the stuffing, then rather than paying £10 for one, go to your local charity shop, by a teddy for like 50p, lightly snip the stitching and remove the stuffing your self.

Some people believe in letting their huskies off, and others dont. Many of us respect that huskies are unpredictable so it's just better for them to be on a leash. if you want to give your dog a lot of freedom then for about £10 you can get a 100ft long lead on ebay that will give them the opportunity for a lovely run.

As for crate training - I would ask the owners what their level of chewing is and what destruction the dog has done before, because the stress of moving will also contribute. Huskies are strong willed and can chew through walls if they want (trust me, I have one of the most midgety huskies and she's bit a hole through the wall), so to save your conservatory, I would check with the owners first. The amount of damage they can do in an hour is incredible if they want to.

Welcome to the pack!

Stacey xxx

EDIT: Forgot to add - Huskies are well known for their prey drive so in the majority of cases, people have their huskies on lead. Even people that have tried to get their huskies to come from 8 weeks still can't trust them. They just get to excited.

we asked about how distructive she was and they said she has never chewed or destroyed anything but toys... and that she is surprisingly well behaved in house - im not taking it that she is the perfect indoor pet though which is why we have put an extra £350 security deposit n our house to oppease our landlord and i want so many good toys and why she is going to get soo much exersise -

the 100ft lead is a great idea however - i will look into one as longest we have seen so far is the 7ft long one we brought.

that would be cool - i would like to meet people with other huskies - and as she gets on so well with other dogs it would be nice for her to socialize a bit!

the wrekin is a great place to go - but its a mission to the top - nearly had a stroke last time i did it! but this is another reason we chose a husky - i need the walkies more than the dg! lol!

we did say when she was a bit older and i was more knowledgeable we would look for someone with a nice stud to breed with her - but its early days for that yet. will look for some pictures of the day we viewed her -

My local pets hops sell natures menue and I know pets at home stock it in their freezer section thats where I originally found it.

Wow a husky who will play fetch.. yes their right those are a rarety! most huskies might chase the ball then run off with it or just look at you like "what you through it, you go get it if you want it that bad!" :D

Stufless toys... well I have a dog whos favourite game is de-stuff the toy so I think she'd be quite disapointed if they came ready de-stuffed! :huh:

Yep deffo microchip its essential just incase she DOES get away...

Most husky owners are not lucky enough to get the VERY few huskies that are ok off lead so the 100ft training line becomes their best friend, it means she can get a good run, playfight with other dogs but you have the piece of mind that if she suddenly sees a cat or a leaf blowing away or whatever and desides its more interesting than you shes not gunna get far away... beleive me they can run FAST, I had a scare the other week and chased the boy over BIG main roads and right near countryside where he could have gotten shot by farmers and only got him back because someone came out of their house and was nice enough to grab him for me!! NOT a nice expereince it really isnt! And if you think its cruel to not let them off lead, how much crueler is it for her to get run over or shot by a farmer etc! Just not worth the risk!

thanks for the advice sarah i will get the other half to get a 100ft lead off ebay tonight! will also invest in some charity shop bears... will look in pets at home as we have one of those locally...

my dad has this rottweiler - evilest thing in the world it is -he found this little terry towelling piglett teddy on the town park once and he loves it to death... my dad has to put it in the wash for him occassionally and sew the ears and arms and legs back on now and then but he has loved this teddy for 10 years... wheres a teddy normally lasts about 30 secconds in his house... its amazing the things dogs actually play with,

Make sure you have a good quality collar to walk her on. From the picture it looks like she's on a martingale (or semi-slip/no slip.) Those are probably the easiest/best for a Husky.

Congrats on your new addition and even though you don't want to crate her she may need to be crated for the first few weeks just to get used to the new place. Just because she wasn't destructive where she was doesn't mean she's going to be that content (initially) at your home.