My First Husky - TIPS?

therockabillydolly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was gonna get keira a harness... can see her chasing the 22 bus with me in tow without one! but i dont think she would like that either

My two adult dogs are walked in a harness, but that's just their preference since they both loathe collars (they also walk WAY better in harness than on collar). A harness would be good if you wanted to bike ride with her, or roller blade.

Also, if you're going to let her run on a 100 ft lead a harness is better than a collar, if she runs all the way to the end of the lead while wearing a collar, she could damage her neck. These are the harnesses mine wear, and they work great with their long leads, Zoey wears this one Top Paw Zoe Collection Harness and Cesar wears this one Top Paw Buster Collection Harness . They have the matching leads to those, and they also have 30 ft leads that I attach to their 6 ft walking leads so they have 36 ft of freedom at the park. I haven't got them their 100 ft leads yet, but will be ordering them in a few weeks. Here's Cesar wearing his:

168489_10150413167325595_529420594_17285642_5286539_n.jpg

They run sooo fast on the long leads, so you can imagine if she was running at this speed on a collar and reached the end of the lead:

181693_10150413155300595_529420594_17285299_2867150_n.jpg

Some have success with harness, others not so much. If she's a big puller you may not want to get a harness as it actually makes it easier for them to pull in one.

As for the crate we bought the 2nd biggest one. It's still pretty big but definitely not Great Dane sized! If there is a classified section or website you know of that's the best way to get one. Much much cheaper.

welcome to the pack - shes gorgeous - my 2 like rope toys and tennis balls - thats about all they like - the tennis balls dont always last very long but they love them whilst they do :) also yep 100ft leads are a wonderful investment - i wouldnt be without my long leads for my 2 :)

eta: when out on the feild mine are put on harnesses (ezydog) but when walking my girl is on a semi-slip collar (my boy is on a harness - head collar combo cuz he pulls and can escape normal collars)

also like stacey - i have a walkydog bike attachment - tho i havent had chance to use it yet

thanks guys - have got a crate and 100ft lead and a nylabone on watch on ebay - other half will buy them payday before we get her xxx super excited! also we are going to order the BARF raw food (natural instinct) for her,

already got her a rope toy and we are going to get her a halter when we get her so we can get one to the right measurements

welcome :wave: keira's a cutie! :wub: congrats! :D

be careful walking her on a collar, if she's a puller she could easily slip out, probably why the current owners have her on the half nylon half chain, also called a half check so she can't slip out.

we use harnesses on ours when walking, we get the ezydog.com one's they love them and are really comfortable as it has a padded chest piece :D

welcome to the pack!! shes a cutie :wub: ! And her energy prob will not go away hehe huskies are like 2 year olds for most of their lives. We also use a harness for Akira we used the gental leader for a long time but that just did not seem to work as good. Akira will be 2 this month and some of her fav toys are ropes (or anything she can play tug with), tennis balls, nylabones, rubber balls, knuckle bones, bully sticks, the kong wubba and a few more like that. Good luck with your new husky!

Hi!

I'd be a bit wary about giving her a Teddy to play with/chew or you could end up with a VERY EXPENSIVE vets bill like a new owner of one of the 7 pups our Koda sired in his part of Studding with a local breeders bitch Husky a year ago. They gave him a teddy to chew and he'd promptly swallowed it all!!ohmy.gif One life saving op later, and the offending teddy (or what was left of it), was removed from his gut etc. You have been warned!dry.gif Tennis balls as well are a tad risky as we've found out too! Koda ans Demon (Father n Son), both adore tennis balls and both end up puking up bits all over after munching and destroying said tennis balls! Mind you, koda would take the Mickey when playing with him with a tennis ball and Demon will bring it back to you for you to lob it away for him to go n fetch. He does it with all his (and koda/benji's) toys!biggrin.gif They are ALL "his" as far as he's concerned....lolcool.gif

Foodwise, I would put her on Harringtons Complete Turkey n Veg kibble as there are no whiffy odours emitting from the "southerly regions"huh.gif (you would only either have to say "poowhoooor" or "av u farted?" to Koda n he was off....literally!) and is excellent if your dog ever suffers from sloppy turds like Koda did (5 years with various different brands). We found this out that he had a oats & wheat intolerance and we were getting told by the vets that it was too much protein in his diet/treats! At the mo, Tesco and Asda are selling this and Tesco are doing 15kg/5kg bags at 3 for 2 till 20/02/11. Defo bargain this! cool.gif They do a puppy version of the food too, but not on the offer at the mo!

Hope this helps??

Ian & The Ingleby Krew

My girls called Kira, so same just different spelling!!

I feed Quest, its not too expensive and high quality, its only avaliable online, not in the shops, here's the link: Quest good ingredients, not colours or anything, and some suppliments for joints, coat etc

Their collars are SASS, made my Ali Koops, very strong and durable, SASS gear lasts for years. We use the semi slip, the sit loose in the house, and tighten by 2" when they pull, so they can't slip out ;)

We have a SASS walking belt too, which is great for hands free walking :) SASS stuff avaliable here: SASS

We have a 30ft lead, so they can run about on the feilds, but be safe, as we dont let ours offlead, we'd never see them again if we did!! We got ours off Ebay for les than a tenner, you can get ones up to 100ft if you want a longer one

Our 2 love tug toys, we have about 4!! we just get the cheap ones from places like poundland, cus even the expensive ones get chewed eventually!

Forgot to addohmy.gif Koda is good off the lead. You shout him and he'll wait till you get up to him n then he'll bugger off again! But if you bellow at him, he knows he has to wait till I get to him and to stay there cool.gif Just gota try to get Demon to do the same..............Oh-S*$£%! Benji the JRT, is a lttle S*£$% too. He won't shut up while out walking all 3 and winds them up if they are on their retractable leads. He does try to help them out by chewing their rola-leads so they end up snapping! Talk about "The Great Escape"....lollaugh.gif

Ian & The Ingleby Krew

Lyra has a Kong Wobbler and she loves it. It took her a couple of days to figure it out, but now when we put part of her breakfast in it, she is very determined to get every last piece of food out.

You'll go through some trials and errors when it comes to toys, depending on the personality of your dog and how much of a chewer she is. With Lyra, the only toy she hasn't been able to destroy is her rubber Kong, although that does have a few cracks in it. We still give her a small sized one, but we might have to upgrade soon. The no-stuffing toys last for a few days, squeakers are usually ripped apart within a day. When she was a puppy we gave her Nylabones, but now that's she's older, she can actually do a lot of damage to both the Nylabone and herself because of the force of her chewing.

Mine loves to chew so I have gotten her some kong toys. She didn't show interest in them at first but now plays with them all of the time. I'm a new husky owner too so I know where you are coming from with wanting everything to be perfect. So far there isn't any type of treat she is opposed to other than anything with peanut butter...strange. I cannot recommend any grooming tools because I have yet to use them (i've only had her home for a week). I have a regular harness for when we go on walks and a kong collar (for durability) that she wears all of the time. Luna likes both her crate bed and also a big fluffy round bed. I opted for going with a stainless non-skid water and food bowl since this breed loves to chew. I think the food aspect is the most important part. My breeder had Luna on a cheaper food, so I have been slowly introducing the better quality food (has less fillers and is easier on her system). If you do want to change foods, make sure that you do it gradually so your cute darling doesn't get the runs. I wouldn't buy a lot of toys right off the bat. I would see what she likes and then buy more toys of similarity.

well i have got her a kong wobbler, some tennis balls and a tug-rope so far.... any other toys will be trial and error but i know she has a thing for tennis balls already so thats a bonus... we spent a whole hour playing ball with her when we went to view her !

food wise - the stuff they were feeding her was sum cheap dry stuff i have never seen or heard of (similar to wagg?) but because we are getting her from chirbury (wales) i think it will be difficult getting the feed they provide her with...so we will just have to buy something suited to delicate pallettes and persevere until she gets used to it...i would prefer to slowly introduce her to a better diet and i know its not the best way to do it but...

i agree the food is important - i have put a lt of thought into what feed we should give her and we have settled on PART BARF raw natures instinct for working dogs, PART royal canin dry complete( the one for sensitive bellys) that way she is getting the right nutrition, the biscuits will help her teeth and it shuldnt be too stressful on her belly.

i have got her some strong (indestructable style) pink plastic bowels with non slip rubber bottoms (i didnt get a large sized set of bowls cos apparently huskies like to put their feet in their water bowls? and on top of that she wont need much food in her bowl if shes got her kong) we are yet to get a bed... i have been quite picky on this subject - as i want a nice big matress style one... but i want one with a waterproof removeable cover thats durable... ive seen a nice one in pets at home but they are stupid money and ebay isnt any better! her crate is sorted as i have 4 really cute leopard print fleece blankets we used to use as throws to protet the old sofa from the cats - but as we dont use them any more i figured we could use those to line the bottom of her crate,,, and if she kills one theyre are more to replace them and they are relatively cheap to replace as well.

well i have got her a kong wobbler, some tennis balls and a tug-rope so far.... any other toys will be trial and error but i know she has a thing for tennis balls already so thats a bonus... we spent a whole hour playing ball with her when we went to view her !

food wise - the stuff they were feeding her was sum cheap dry stuff i have never seen or heard of (similar to wagg?) but because we are getting her from chirbury (wales) i think it will be difficult getting the feed they provide her with...so we will just have to buy something suited to delicate pallettes and persevere until she gets used to it...i would prefer to slowly introduce her to a better diet and i know its not the best way to do it but...

i agree the food is important - i have put a lt of thought into what feed we should give her and we have settled on PART BARF raw natures instinct for working dogs, PART royal canin dry complete( the one for sensitive bellys) that way she is getting the right nutrition, the biscuits will help her teeth and it shuldnt be too stressful on her belly.

i have got her some strong (indestructable style) pink plastic bowels with non slip rubber bottoms (i didnt get a large sized set of bowls cos apparently huskies like to put their feet in their water bowls? and on top of that she wont need much food in her bowl if shes got her kong) we are yet to get a bed... i have been quite picky on this subject - as i want a nice big matress style one... but i want one with a waterproof removeable cover thats durable... ive seen a nice one in pets at home but they are stupid money and ebay isnt any better! her crate is sorted as i have 4 really cute leopard print fleece blankets we used to use as throws to protet the old sofa from the cats - but as we dont use them any more i figured we could use those to line the bottom of her crate,,, and if she kills one theyre are more to replace them and they are relatively cheap to replace as well.

My puppy started sticking his paws in his water bowl and digs!!