Second Thoughts About Neutering Tomo!?

Spinstorm

Flash is booked in to be neutered tomorrow but when I look into his cute lovable eyes I feel so bad...

I think it is for the best as I don't want him peeing everywhere as he gets older (he is a 13 months old or so) and he jumps up alot and my mum is worried about

how to handle him sometimes, plus I know it can reduce cancer risks later in life and I don't want any puppies even though I know he would have such cute ones.

I want some factual reassurance here please...

Dogs don't mull through "might-have-beens" the way humans do. I believe that if you go ahead and neuter him, he'll never look back, and won't miss what he never had at all! Even my boys who have been neutered after having been used for breeding don't seem to mind in the least. When I've let my old man, Shad, out with girls in season (to see where they are in their cycle - is it safe to let them out with their usual male buddies), he'll occasionally give a half-hearted attempt, like he thinks it's what he's supposed to do, but he doesn't get wound up as he did when he was intact. He would go for days without eating, and was one of the rare huskies that I felt would have literally starved himself to death - the longer he went without eating, the more nauseated he would become, and would want to eat even less. He's much happier- certainly more content- since he's been neutered!

Thanks for the encouragement guys... I collected Flash at 4pm and he seemed quite energetic and excited although he did seem to be wobbly on his feet. I was surprised at how lively he was! It didn't last long though.

He lay down in the car and then was too sleepy to get out the car! When I finally did lift him out he basically fell asleep from 5pm until 10pm when I gave him some wet food but he didn't want water... He was whining in his sleep from the pain I am sure. At about 11pm he started to get frustrated with the e-collar around his head to stop him licking himself and started moving about more and finally had some water. By about 1am he was trying to run around but I stopped him and made him sit with me as I didn't want him hurting himself.

I put him to bed about 1.30am and then had my dinner (I know late dinner!). I checked on him a few times and he was just resting in his bed. At about 2.30am I left the door to outside open for half an hour for him to go out and pee and poop but he didn't go. Now at 3.20am I closed the door and I am heading to sleep. I am amazed he wanted to go in his crate with the head collar on. I even put out his old dog bed as I thought he may be more comfy there but he didn't go near it.

It is going to be hard to keep him rested the next few days and only have short walks as he loves running around. I also have no idea when I should take off his e-collar?

I had Micah and Ozzy done on the same day and neither of them had collars - they did not seem interested in their wounds at all. Keeping them still was another matter though, they were up and running around within hours of getting home - if they hadn't had the wounds to prove it, I would have doubted they had the operations at all. Hope Flash is feeling better today and does not have too much pain. Good luck keeping with him calm :)