How much should an 8 week old puppy be eating?

Minka&Loki

We have had Minka and Loki for three days now, and frankly their lack of appetite is concerning me. The breeder told us to feed them 1 cup of science diet three times a day. The first night they barely ate anything. We have been weaning them off science diet and onto Taste of the Wild Lamb (which they seem to much prefer, they pick it out if their bowls and barely touch the SD). It seems as though even after 10 to 15 minutes of their food being out, only a small amount is gone. Its difficult to get them to eat because they bother eachother and try to steal from eachother's bowls also haha. I have been soaking their food in boiling water and serving when luke warm, hoping this will make it more palatable and less difficult to chew. It seems to help a small bit. I just want to know if this is normal.

-Kira

I'm glad you switched them off of that junk, SD is no good for your dog. My guy is a fussy eater, it's terrible trying to get him to eat anything. On the bag it should have a recommended feed amount for how much your dog weighs. However, since they are so young they should be getting plenty of food for growing! Just make sure that what you are feeding them is good enough for the stage they are, I know that puppies should have food that has more fat content.

To get my dog to eat, I've done the warm water, I've gotten wet food and mixed a little in with the kibble, put gravy on it, oils... You name it, he's a fussy husky.

As for them stealing from each others bowls, that's normal, in the wild packs will fight over the best meat. When our roomy had Kira's brother, they would fight like crazy over food (sometimes that was the only way to get him to eat). He didn't want to eat it, but he sure didn't want his brother to have it.

In the end we ended up having to feed them separately, one in one area of the house, the other in another until they learn to share properly.

I've never read anything about the milk. I know that diary can sometimes upset a dog's stomach..

For a year I fed my dog TOTW and put a little bit of the wet food along with the kibble just to make it smell better and be more appealing, he's a fuss pot.

Have you ever given them any fruits or veggies? Got to be careful of what you give them: no onions, grapes/raisins, or the stems (a lot of stems are poisonous to dogs, I know tomato stems are).

My dog LOVES carrots! Eats them like chips. Perhaps see if there's a treat/snack food that your dog likes and break it up into small pieces and mix it in with their kibble. ....Hopefully they are not like my dog, he will actually pick the bits he likes out and spit the rest on the floor ._.

I fed my dog raw for a month, I loved it and he loved it.... My wallet did not, so I couldn't afford to keep him on it.

I've read about adding milk and warming it? I don't know about how effective that is but I'm willing to try anything. Any particular wet foods to add that seem to work, or easily digestable raw foods?

Never give them cow`s milk, but goats milk is ok. Keep adding the water to it like you`ve been doing, and slowly decrease the amount of water you add to it every week until they are eating dry food and drinking their water seperately. I have two 15 week old siblings, and they eat one cup of dry kibble, 3 times a day. They too will try to steal eachothers bowls, or just switch bowls with one another. I don`t want to separate them because I want them to learn to eat side by side like their parents. If they are not inclined to eat the whole bowl at once, just put it up and give it to them after a walk or play session. That`s what I did, and now my pups know if they don`t eat it, the food goes away, so they eat their meal in one sitting now :)

I've never had trouble giving dairy to my puppies, but I'm more likely to add a little bit of cottage cheese or yogurt to their food. I do this while weaning puppies - I feel the milky smell and taste helps them associate the kibble with what they've previously considered to be "food"! Taylor's suggestion of offering the food for a short period of time then removing it if it's not eaten is a very good one! Good luck! smile.gif

I've never had trouble giving dairy to my puppies, but I'm more likely to add a little bit of cottage cheese or yogurt to their food. I do this while weaning puppies - I feel the milky smell and taste helps them associate the kibble with what they've previously considered to be "food"! Taylor's suggestion of offering the food for a short period of time then removing it if it's not eaten is a very good one! Good luck! smile.gif

Lol, my guys go mental for cottage cheese and yogurt. Zoey looves them both now, I gave them to her weekly during her pregnancy, and daily when she was nursing to keep her calcium levels high enough to make milk for 9 hungry pups! It must`ve worked, because she nursed 9 pups until 6.5 weeks old without me having to give them milk replacer. My pack always gets runny poos when they get straight milk, but soft cheeses and yogurt always agree with them, which is why I stick to the goats milk, seems to agree with mine more :)

I wouldn't do the milk, but it sounds like you're doing it right. They're probably still adjusting right now and a bit nervous so I'd say after a couple of days of settling in they should starting eating more. Make sure you're only leaving it down for 15-20 minutes so they don't think they can go eat whenever they want to eat.

be careful with the food stealing from each others bowl.. my adult is a welfare dog and i inherited food aggression whcih i didnt realise until we had a 2nd dog in the house (a foster dog). We manage it very well now but i have had a few horrible moments & believe me its not pleasent. We manage it but its not gone away and i totally think it will always be with him. We dont know what his past was like but i get the feeling that he's lost his meals to another dog. Before he came to us he lived with another dog and this dog picked on storm so who knows what happened.

I have to be really careful when out walking the 2 together as if there is food on the side of the road my adult changes from the perfect ideal dog to a nightmare just to get it. i have to be VERY vigilant and look around the paths all the time.

As for them stealing from each others bowls, that's normal, in the wild packs will fight over the best meat. When our roomy had Kira's brother, they would fight like crazy over food (sometimes that was the only way to get him to eat). He didn't want to eat it, but he sure didn't want his brother to have it.

Yes its very normal in the wild but they are pets and need to learn boundaries and manners. Depending on the dogs personality, dominance and other things it could easily turn into food aggression. Believe me from experience that is not pleasent. Yes of course that might not happen but please be aware there is a possibility it could escalate.