Kira

crossface1111

Hello,

So we have Kira who is quite a handful, a ball of fire or quite possibly the devil incarnate lol she is super fun but doesn't play well by herself. We've had a few people tell us that we should get an older dog that could help her out a lot. We found a male who is eight weeks old and about the same size as her. Is there anyone who has had experience with this? And possible advise to help them get along upon his arrival, also..... What should we name him???>!!!! black and white is Kira and the red one is the little boy.....

post-3358-1358596118915_thumb.jpg

post-3358-13585961197014_thumb.jpg

Raising 2 puppies at the same time is a really difficult thing to do. Especially if Kira is your first Husky. It's a great thing to want another Husky... the more the merrier! But it's best to want another Husky (or any dog) because you want and can handle another. Not just because your dog seems lonely. If I were you i'd go for adopting an older one. At least one that 1yr+

I've only had one of my Huskies since 8 weeks old (Cheyenne) and as much as I love her to death and as much as I looovvveee cute Husky puppies.... I don't know if i'll be going the puppy route ever again. laugh.gif They're difficult as puppies. And even more difficult when you have 2, IMO.

It definitely varies from dog to dog, but having 2 puppies is a lot of work (I have two littermates who are 16 weeks old) its double the training, double the accidents, double everything. Although I will say having two huskies is better than one because they have their special brand of playing that just isn't the same between a husky and a human. When he comes, meet at a neutral spot and let them play and get a feel for one another, then when they've tired themselves out, take them home. Introduce him to his places, like his crate, toys, etc. Be careful to watch for food/toy aggression between the two of them.

When Ozzy was a pup we also decided to get him a playmate because we was lonely. Ozzy was five months old at the time and Micah was a re-home at four months old. The meet and greet went perfectly, they played until they were exhausted and we then took them home. They were best mates from day one with no problems at all. The only problem I had was that Ozzy was not fully trained - and neither was Micah. They ruled the house for months - it is very, very difficult trying to train them, one on one, with another rambunctious pup in the background - they were always distracted by what the other was doing while they were being 'forced' to listen and pay attention to what I wanted from them. Ozzy is now 15 months and Micah 14 months old, and they are very well behaved, and well balanced huskies :)

I have never been able to teach them not to jump up to greet visitors though - that is an ongoing problem and I am still working on it.

Edit: We also had to take the spaying and neutering into account - we had them 'fixed' at the same time which is another cost to take into account when taking in puppies.

You think shes the devil incarnate now get that other pup and see how much she listens when she has someone sooooo much more interesting to play with, it will be hell on earth trying to train two pups at once when neither are listening to you coz their bonded to each other.

I would wait till you current pup is older and up to a training standard that you like before even thinking of getting a second.. thats what I did and they STILL manage to pick up some bad habbits from each other! LOL :)

I personally would either get an older dog, or I would wait.

Husky puppies are a handful, but wait till you see what it's like if you get two together.

I got Logan when Aleu was about 1 year old, and whilst I loved him, I noticed that when we had him, Aleu really started to ignore me. She wouldn't listen to me when I called her or anything. Now that Logans an individual dog in a new home, they're both a lot happier and Aleu has certainly progressed. It's taken for Aleu to get to 2 years old for her to really start settling down.

Stacey xxx