Long car ride...

HuskyCouture

So on Thursday we're driving an hour and a half to go look at a new car for my boyfriends mom, and obviously need to take the dogs with us as we have no one to watch them since his mom is our dog sitter lol. Embry is so annoying in the car, he whines and whines and whines the whole time, i think it's something like anxiety most likely. Would it be okay for me to give him a few Benadryl, to keep him calm and sleepy while we're in the car?

i dunno about bennadryl but defo a good stimulating walk before hand and then assuming you use a crate cover it up so he cant see out.

You could also consider not giving him his breaky or just a small amount as he may feel car sick.

Perhaps a frozen kong to chomp on but perhaps frozen meat stock rather than a food like peanut butter or similar

My friend has a dog who has to walk him before any car journey, he can then run on a rig for a few miles and will still howl the journey home.

Mine can travel for hours and not make a noise so i feel really lucky

Good luck

I would say no to the benedryl but sometimes i give Scooby (cos she is the exact the same thing, 3 hrs on the way up north last time :( ) RESCUE REMEDY its normally sold in health stores or Boots places like that, not sure where u would get from over there. Sometime of drugstore maybe.

Scooby has been doin it her whole life n she has n never will change. Was this the 1st long journey uv done ? It may b a one case thing but if ur unlucky like me im afraid ur just gunna have to put up with it.

The only thing that stopped her last time was to constantly over n over n over again to lie down, took me bout an hr but then she was quiet for a few hrs, when she started again i just did the same.

I feel 4 u hun but i dont think that Benadryl is the answer.

i dunno about bennadryl but defo a good stimulating walk before hand and then assuming you use a crate cover it up so he cant see out.

You could also consider not giving him his breaky or just a small amount as he may feel car sick.

Perhaps a frozen kong to chomp on but perhaps frozen meat stock rather than a food like peanut butter or similar

My friend has a dog who has to walk him before any car journey, he can then run on a rig for a few miles and will still howl the journey home.

Mine can travel for hours and not make a noise so i feel really lucky

Good luck

we can't crate him as he freaks out in it :( and he does it even if he has been at the dog park all afternoon :( no idea why

and they're both in the boot so they'd fight over a kong :(

I would say no to the benedryl but sometimes i give Scooby (cos she is the exact the same thing, 3 hrs on the way up north last time :( ) RESCUE REMEDY its normally sold in health stores or Boots places like that, not sure where u would get from over there. Sometime of drugstore maybe.

Scooby has been doin it her whole life n she has n never will change. Was this the 1st long journey uv done ? It may b a one case thing but if ur unlucky like me im afraid ur just gunna have to put up with it.

The only thing that stopped her last time was to constantly over n over n over again to lie down, took me bout an hr but then she was quiet for a few hrs, when she started again i just did the same.

I feel 4 u hun but i dont think that Benadryl is the answer.

will definitely look into that :)

this will be the first long one, the longest car ride he has had was the 45min drive to get Zoey. He never did it in our old car as he sat up front with us, it was a bench seat in the front and now he's in the back in the boot so i think that has something to do with it.

Well we are heading up North on Friday, 3 hrs in the car wih 3 dogs, we have a family size hatch back , Thor will go in the boot area as he will just lay down and sleep, Odin and Loki on the back seat. these two will be making the noise especily Odin as he gets excited but after a few miles he will calm down and just look out of the window while Loki curls up and sleeps, then when we stop all hell breaks loose :lol:

So on Thursday we're driving an hour and a half to go look at a new car for my boyfriends mom, and obviously need to take the dogs with us as we have no one to watch them since his mom is our dog sitter lol. Embry is so annoying in the car, he whines and whines and whines the whole time, i think it's something like anxiety most likely. Would it be okay for me to give him a few Benadryl, to keep him calm and sleepy while we're in the car?

Benadryl may work but as side affect.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is an OTC antihistamine, used to treat allergic reactions in humans and some animals.

I swear on Rescue Remedy and run your dogs before taking the on a long journey.

Feed your dogs half an hour before the walk.

Running your dogs before a long car journey will drain a lot of energy and will mean you won't have to stop to let them out as often.

Also try a treat like a bone to occupy your dog for the main part of the journey.

But never give your dog medicine unless absolutely necessary.

deffo take them both out on a good walk first and maybe do some training with them to mentally tire them out a bit as well? I wouldn't feed him in case he's sick unsure.gif

I'd also ignore any noises he makes - just totally ignore him and he'll stop soon enough :)

i'm lucky my boys love going anywhere in the car - unfortunately having a cream carpet in my boot i try and avoid that whenever possible laugh.giflaugh.gif

Give the vet a call....he/she might be able to give you something to relax him. We have been very fortunate as both love to be in the car...and Andy spent 6 hours driving with us one day when we went to look at a pup before we met Jackson. One of them puked one time, we don't know who it was because they were so quiet, just found it on the floor! You might want to not go too soon after feeding him.

By the way, are you coming to the twin cities?

Yukon is big trouble in the car, and our vet said it was ok to give him Benadryl. It was not strong enough for him, he needed a perscription and then even then he needs a really good walk and then something to chew. Only then does he mellow out. Call your vet to confirm, but it is a possible treatment for sure.