Husky owner in Staten Island

Woodsman

Hi folks,

When I went to the local kill shelter here four years ago, I was ready to relpace the dog that I had had for 17 years (a beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog mix named Max) and had lost three years before. Aside from about 6 gnarly-looking Pitbulls, there was a stunning-looking Siberian Husky there that was calling my name. The night I brought him home he savagedly attacked me and sent me to the emergency room (very bad, blood all over the place). There were many more attacks over the next few months (even my vet said he had to be put down). I'm a pretty hard-headed dog lover, though, so euthanasia wasn't really an option for us. So, here we are, four years later, and Niko is my best friend and (while he is still very fearful about our "relationship") we have a good understanding with each other (which is, "don't bite daddy!").

A year after I brought Niko home, I found a beautiful Sib/Shiba mix in a rescue in Kansas named Geisha. A tractor-trailer driver (named "Trucker Tom") brought her all the way to Staten Island in the snow and she is the love of my life! She was abused by a man and still worries about my "intentions" towards her, but I think she knows she has a good thing going here and is content in her older years.

We spend hours every day at the local dog park and this has been a saviour for Niko. Although he was badly mauled by a Pitbull there last year, all of his good friends are there and he really looks forward to going. We also spend a lot of time hiking in the local forests and out on the beaches. Over-all, I'd say we're pretty happy!

Sorry for the long wind, Richard.

post-2418-13585961339277_thumb.jpg

post-2418-13585961345909_thumb.jpg

post-2418-13585961351923_thumb.jpg

post-2418-13585961358095_thumb.jpg

Hello Richard and Welcome to the forum-

Sorry to hear about the probs when you 1st got Niko, but glad you got them worked out.

Also glad it has worked out with Niko and Geisha.

Not longwinded at all- it's good to hear the story.

This is the best forum on the web with a lot of helpful info.

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing more pics.

George

Hi Richard what a great story - they were so lucky you found them - thank you. Sounds like a great ending for all. I am sure they keep you on your toes 24/7 though :lol: Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing you around and hearing more of your stories with them.

Welcome Richard and to your pack.

It takes a very special person to stick with Niko especially after he attacked you. ohmy.gif

Well done.biggrin.gif

Hi Richard, and welcome to the Pack. Wow, what a story you have. There's a place for you in Husky Heaven for sure.:)

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone. I don't know what percentage of members here have adopted/rescued dogs, but I would be interested in hearing how other owners have dealt with the special issues associated with huskies that may have experienced abuse in their past. I'll start a new thread to ask about this issue.

Richard.