Possible Broken Toe

Mael

Hey guys, today my puppy Lucy was running in the back yard and she slammed her leg against my concrete patio. She instantly laid down and stopped playing. I took her to the vet to get her checked out. The diagnosis was a limp toe (the outside one on the left paw). The vet said that we should wait until next week to get an x-ray, to see if it heals. She also gave me some pain meds. Lucy is limping significantly, but sometimes does put weight on the toe. The toe looks like it's at a slight angle which could be swelling or a break. Lucy often lifts up the paw to avoid putting pressure on it, as it is very clearly tender.

So overall, a broken toe is not a big deal. I'd love it to be just a bruise, but if it's a break, it'll heal in about 6 weeks. The real problem is what to do with Lucy until then? Her and I are doing so well. She has puppy class once a week, puppy play dates several times a week, I walk her every day, I play with her in the yard, and I basically take her everywhere that I reasonably can. With a broken toe, all of that will change. I'm worried about interrupting her socialization and training, as well as having her quality of life decreased because she will be bored and have a lot of energy. It's hard enough to keep her calm with training, playing, and walking. How will I manage this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm upset about the situation, but I know it could be worse, and I'm grateful that it's just a toe.

The activities you can do with Lucy will depend upon the outcome of the X-ray and the advice from your Vet. I don't have any experience of broken toes but when Polee injured her cruciate ligament a few months ago I had to keep her as still as possible for a month which was a lot easier that I thought it would be.

They are very resilient (sp?) and it's likely she will not let it hold her back from doing anything. I would think the Puppy classes and play dates will be ok for her to attend although you may need to shorten the walks initially

Hope everything works out and Lucy makes a speedy recovery