Broadband question

Saffmonster

Second what people have said above.

Also do you have a download limit? you could have reached this, in which case Sky will restrict your service.

Remember when they say 20mb its UP TO, there are factors which limit your speed such as Line quality in the house, Quality of the wire from the

house to exchange, distance from the exchange, how many people use the exchange.

Sky IMO are not a great service provider. They quoted us as a maximum speed of 2mb, I went to ZEN Broadband and get 8mb.

Adding on to what the others said above...

Be sure to know the difference between mb and mB. There is a big difference.

mb = Megabits. Much smaller than Megabytes. One Megabit is 0.125 Megabytes.

mB = Megabyte. Bigger than Megabits. one Megabyte is 8 Megabits.

I did this and my speed is 7.92... grrrrr stoopid Sky and your stoopid 20mb! :angry:

might be worth installing anti-spyware to see if you have any malware running.

also a reboot of the router might help. just unplug it and plug it back in wait a minute

I haven't run my spyware for ages! Good job you suggested it because it found something.

Virgin is the best one you get near enough what your meant to

:huh: I'm the opposite! I'm supposed to get up to 10mB, they told me to report it if it was anything less that about 7.5 -8, most of the time, I get below 3!! I am fed up of reporting it, they send a boost signal or something, I get around 7 then it goes back again. Also, it goes off for a few mins sometimes hourly, sometimes maybe 5 times an hour, which is a pain in the butt if you are watching iPlayer or something :angry: I get told to ring when it has gone off so they can investigate, but by the time I ring, go through the options for the dept I want, then wait to be answered, the chuffin' thing is back on again .... stoopid thing!!

If you have Sky you ar using ADSL2+. That has a maximum speed of 24Mbits or 2.6 megabyte per second. BUT this method is extremely sensitive to the distance you are from your exchange and the noise on your line. General speaking if your line attenuation is less than 0-15 db you should get between 18-24 Mbits. 15-25 db should get you around 14-17 Mbits. 25 to 30 db will get you 11- 14 Mbits. Over 30db and your speed will decream dramatically. You can check your line attenuation on your router settings. You can google or check the manual on how to access your router settings. If you have a cable connection this doesn't have the same restrictions as ADSL2+. The quality of the line stays the same as it's cable so you will always get what they advertise. With ADSL they advertise less than the maximum as it's very rare you will ever get that. It seems likely assuming your speedtest was done while you were not downloading anything that you are far away from the exchange and that your attentuation is around 35 and you will never be able to get faster unless you use cable. BT are currently rolling out a combined cable and dsl system called Infinity. Unlike cable it should eventually cover the whole country although right now very free areas have it. There service is called fibre to the cabinet. It is a cable line to the green cabinets at the end of your road and then VDSL2+ to your house. This is a super fast version of adsl that only works over very short distances. It allows a stale connection of 40mbits down. For more information look at www.thinkbroadband.com for general information and www.samknows.co.uk can give you information on your exchange. Internet broadband speeds are not as simple as a number on a page. Hopefully everyone who reads this now knows that!

If you have Sky you ar using ADSL2+. That has a maximum speed of 24Mbits or 2.6 megabyte per second. BUT this method is extremely sensitive to the distance you are from your exchange and the noise on your line. General speaking if your line attenuation is less than 0-15 db you should get between 18-24 Mbits. 15-25 db should get you around 14-17 Mbits. 25 to 30 db will get you 11- 14 Mbits. Over 30db and your speed will decream dramatically. You can check your line attenuation on your router settings. You can google or check the manual on how to access your router settings. If you have a cable connection this doesn't have the same restrictions as ADSL2+. The quality of the line stays the same as it's cable so you will always get what they advertise. With ADSL they advertise less than the maximum as it's very rare you will ever get that. It seems likely assuming your speedtest was done while you were not downloading anything that you are far away from the exchange and that your attentuation is around 35 and you will never be able to get faster unless you use cable. BT are currently rolling out a combined cable and dsl system called Infinity. Unlike cable it should eventually cover the whole country although right now very free areas have it. There service is called fibre to the cabinet. It is a cable line to the green cabinets at the end of your road and then VDSL2+ to your house. This is a super fast version of adsl that only works over very short distances. It allows a stale connection of 40mbits down. For more information look at www.thinkbroadband.com for general information and www.samknows.co.uk can give you information on your exchange. Internet broadband speeds are not as simple as a number on a page. Hopefully everyone who reads this now knows that!

Excellent post by spinstorm - other thing to bear in mind is to do your speed test with a cable connection to your router - wifi around an average house can have a massive variation on speed test results. Also the quality of copper telephone cabling in/outside your house makes a difference - new cable improved my throughput by 20%. Don't be too hard on Sky...I work in broadband and this thing called the laws of physics often screws things up! rolleyes.gif