Need advice- should I keep my dog?

beachhusky

I work as a roughneck in the oilfield, and my job requires me to be gone for two weeks out of the month at a time. Its a good job, but with my wife and I getting separated, there will be nobody to watch my dog while I am away. I am also moving from a house in North Carolina to an apartment in PA. I really love my dog, but I dont know if it would be fair to her for me to keep her, for a few reasons. One, huskies arent typically good apartment dogs, and she will be an only dog with nobody to play with. The main thing that scares me is having to put her in a kennel for so long. I just dont know what effect it would have on her, I dont have much experience with kennels. Any advice would be wonderful! Im not sure what to do

depends on the kennel - some kennels are very good at taking the dogs to a play area once or twice a day. Some just keep them locked up.

In either case, it will be VERY hard on the dog to have to go thru that. Not to say if you didn't find the right situation he wouldn't get used to it.

How old is he?

I know it's a tuff one emotionally, but it probably would be best in a home that could give him the attention he needs.

Sorry for your dilemma.

Good luck.

So soory to hear this, it must be a hard decision to make :(

Personally i think it would be very difficult for the dog to be in kennels for 2 weeks out of every 4. If there isn't anyone available to care for him then I would probably find him a forever loving home. Or maybe you could find someone that would be willing to dog share? I know of a couple that used to do this very successfully :D you could try advertising for someone in the area you are moving too.

Hope you manage to sort things out, and whatever you decide I am sure it will be the right decision for both you and your husky x

I am gutted for you what a horrible decision to make but I don't think kennels is the answer unless she gays to know a pack & shares so she's not lonely. Perhaps a working kennels? If not then spending time finding a good home would put your mind at ease. See if there are any specific husky organisations near you who could help

best wishes

Whatever solution you managed to find that would mean you still own the dog, it mean she'll pretty much be living two lives - half with you, half either with someone else or in a kennel. I know she'd eventually get used to it, but I personally wouldn't want to put that much stress and change onto my dog. If it were me I'd look to rehome her, preferably nearby so I could come to see her when I get a chance. This must be so tough though, I'd be in absolute bits if I were in that situation :( Good luck with whatever you do, it's clear you've only got her best interests at heart :) Please keep us updated on her!