old car insurance co has taken money from my account????

slaves to kaya

Just checked my bank account and my previous car insurance company has taken 416 pound from my account!!!

i haven't received any renewal quote or paperwork of any description from them.

The policy expired on the 14th of feb and the money left my account today????

problem is I am insured with another company now. Will the original company reimberse me seeing as I haven't agreed to any insurance cover from them? :huh:

they usually send you a "your policy is up for renewal but you don't need to do anything, we'll just carry it over" type of letter - I got stung by my car company in December like this, no letter, they still charged me for the 5 days between the policy starting & me getting the renewal paperwork & calling them to cancel, even though I was insured with someone else

Hope you get it sorted painlessly :)

yeah have always had renewal letters usually. didn't think nothing of them not sending one though as they are a multicar policy provider primarily. We had both cars insured with them until my hubby sold his so cancelled his policy. Then when he bought another one their quote was one of the most expensive so he went elsewhere. I cant wait to ring them, role on 10am tomorrow :angry:

You have a 14 day cooling off period but they may charge you for the time on risk so cover from the 14th till you cancel.

If you have your new schedule from your new company advise them that you would have had dual insurance during this time and would they be willing to reimbuse (it is in their interest too). Also depending which insurance company it is they maybe able to check MID the motor insurance database and that will show you had dual insurance too.

Sorry I work in Insurance and a bit of a geek.

If they are still being difficult advise them that you did not get your renewal invite and you wish to make a formal complaint. They will then have 8 weeks to deal with your complaint if they don't you can take it to the FOS (financial ombudsman)

Hope this helps & good luck