New Husky Owner

Indigo & Oisin

Hi guys,

I last week bought my first siberian husky puppy, Indigo, she is beautiful, pure white with brown eyes.

I have experience with dogs in general but never owned one of these wonderful creatures before.

Is there any advice you guys could give me on training.

She is loving and likes to play but she dosn't respond to training the same way my German shepherd and my chihuahua did.

She just can't focus, always being distracted, is this that i'm expecting too much of a 10 week old husky pup?

post-3566-13585961654452_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum! :D

At 10 weeks you don't need to be focusing too much on trick training, what you should focus on is basic and husbandry training, like potty training, manners, etc. If she's not concentrating for very long then...you've definately got yourself a husky! :D Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about it at her age, just focus on bonding with her and getting to know her :) Everything is new to her still so everything will be distracting. For now though you could try to find a very high value treat - i.e. something she LOVES and is willing to work hard for - little bits of sausage are usually the best! That way she is likely to want to stay focused for longer ;)

She's beautiful by the way - there seems to be an influx of white huskies around lately! :lol:

Oh, She is too cute for words. biggrin.gif

Love the wordplay on the name. . .sweet. laugh.gif

Huskies are notorious for being stubborn.

she will learn all the commands and tricks.

BUT. . .

she'll respond to them in her own good time.

and only when she wants to.rolleyes.gif

Your persistence is what matters.

Keep at it she'll learn.

use treats and make it interesting.

She'll be the love of your life. . . .

and

the damndest pain in the ar$£ biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone,

I guess I have my work cut out!

She's already stolen my heart, I just want to do my very best for her.

I bought a few books on huskies and husky care but I joined this forum because the best advice you can get will always come from collected experience!

I expect I'll be asking a lot of questions from time to time.

Also, I have read that you are not meant to take a husky off lead on walks because of their chasing instincts etc. is this true?

Hannah

Cheers guys, also, I know this is the wrong forum to be asking, but I see you guys do meet ups on occasion, sounds brilliant, I'm moving back to Cornwall from Northern Ireland in August, do you guys reckon there will be a few meets in England over the summer and Autumn months?

It would be lovely to meet a few of you and the dogs. I think it's great there is such a friendly community of Husky owners online! And so many from the UK! Very refreshing! :D