Am i expecting too much?

jason7474

Hi all.

As title sugests we have had KODA just over a week and hes 13weeks old but the potty training thing is begining to bemuse me at the minute, KODA eats at 7,5 and 10 every day but doesnt seem to have a pattern for going to the toilet yet, he has started to go out in the garden over the weekend but i just cant see a patern to his toilet times like say half an hour after he eats he needs to go but hes not doing that he just seems to go at rondom times throught the day and hes not going before bed so hes going in his crate which isnt pleasent. So because i cant see a pattern i cant take him out and get him used to going outside to the toilet.

So am i expecting too much from him at 13 weeks and having only been with us a week is he still settleing into new souroundings? could this by why he isnt regular with his toilet breaks?

Any help really welcome and thank you for taking the time to read,

In a word, YES.. he wont get full bowl and bladder control till hes at least 4-5 months old so untill then its best to have him on a timer so take him out every hour during the day and at least every couple of hours during the night.

Get a crate divider to make his crate smaller so he wont go in his bed and 10pm is waaaaaay to late to be feeding him at that age my girl was on four small meals at 7, 11, 1 and 7 and all food and water was removed after last feed, she went last toilet about 9pm and then to bed with toilet breaks every couple of hours throughout the night.

At 8 weeks Kiska didn't have a set toilet pattern either but I never stuck with the whole 'take them outside every half an hour' thing either - I found with that she would often be going outside and not needing to go so she would just end up playing around which just slowed her toilet training down. The thing that worked best for me was to get to know the signs that she needed to go. She was already used to going on puppy pads so as soon as she started sniffing around the area where the pads used to be down I would carry her outside then, whether it was 10 minutes after the last time she went or an hour or more, it didn't matter as she always actually needed to go.

As you've only had him a week I'd say you are expecting a bit too much from him - I've been taking Kiska outside to go to the toilet for 7 weeks now and I'd say it's only within the last 3 that she's definately got it and I now consider her completely toilet trained (not a single accident in about a week :lol:).

I started off walking mine @6am so he could go early, but he still left a mess now and again.

Then he gets walked again in the afternoon and when i get home from work, He has pretty much stopped doing it in the house now and its taken me 3wks to get it sorted, i'll take him out late if he is a bit restless for a 15-20min walk b4 bed.

They seem to figure out how to hold it till the times you walk. But i've tryd to keep it like clock work and so far so good, LOL i'm just tired all the time but he's worth it..

Thanks everyone for the info and tips KODA went out last night just before bed and did his business so he didnt do anything in his crate last night was up at half 6 and we went out when he got up but nothing and again after his breakfast when i saw him circleing the area were his pads used to be but again nothing will take him out this afternoon and see what happens.

Ditto to all the other comments. Also if you let him out after every meal and he's not toileting, then it might be worth investing in a pee stick (they stink but really do work) http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-17977-simple-solution-dog-puppy-training-pee-post-new.aspx?CAWELAID=437271290

But most importantly don't get stressed and when he does go out side give him lots and lots of praise. biggrin.gif

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!! bananen_smilies022.gif