When to neauter?

Shadowpup

I was always told it's best to wait till they are 18 months. When did you get yours done and how did it affect them? When do they finish growing? I'm really unsure as to when I should be getting Yuri done as he's 8 months tomorrow and it's something I really need to think about as our vet does it from 12 months.

shiloh is now 14months......we got told off the vet is was okay after they reach 6months..our puppy trainer told us (when he was around 9-10months old) he may not beneift as he is quite a loopey dog :lol: i am now wishing we did had him done when he was younger as all this stress we are having with him now and all the craziness may not have even happened :(

so from my experiences i would reccomend- the earlier the better ;)

We were told that it is ok from 6 months for males.

and ideally after the first season for females.

When we rehomed darwin he was a year old and already "fixed"

and fully healed up so he was probably done around the 6 - 8 month mark.

PDSA vet near me said not till a year. My usual vet said 9 months. I'm not sure how much they want as she needs to ask for a quote from the vet and call me back. I think they said it was near £130 last time I asked but it may go up because of the 2.5% tax increase.. With saving up to move I'm trying to work out/find out if it can wait until he's 14-18 months or if I should really be doing it now.

PDSA vet near me said not till a year. My usual vet said 9 months. I'm not sure how much they want as she needs to ask for a quote from the vet and call me back. I think they said it was near £130 last time I asked but it may go up because of the 2.5% tax increase.. With saving up to move I'm trying to work out/find out if it can wait until he's 14-18 months or if I should really be doing it now.

Most people base the decision on one of two things.

1. They also have an intact female and don't want any accidental litters.

2. Behavioural or aggression issues.

If neither of these is the case then wait until you can afford it.

I assume he's not allowed offlead so he's not going to meet a lady friend in the park and "get jiggy with it".ohmy.gif

Well done though for asking for advice.biggrin.gif

Yuri off lead? Err no.. made that mistake once as a friend said since he was mostly Collie so would be fine and he chased a little girl in the park and tried to kiss her... :unsure:

I don't have any other dogs (much to mine and Yuri's discust) and he's perfect except for his anxiety to get to other dogs and then repeatly hump them wether it be on their head or otherwise (yes my Yuri is a bit strange) but he doesn't hump us and we haven't had any other issues apart from that so will probably wait until after we move. Just worried that the move will be a bit much and then getting neautered streight after might stress him out so thats why I was wondering if I should get it done now.

Sounds like we have different rules in the States. Dogs here are encouraged to be spayed/neutered by 6 months, so most are done between 8 weeks and 6 months. Most rescue dogs are spayed/neutered before adoption, or if not (like my Lily) it's in our contract to get her spayed by 6 months (unless they need to wait until older via vet request due to health complications) or we have to give her back. Lily does have an "immature vajayjay" so we were encouraged to wait to spay her until after her first heat due to the risk of urinary tract infections, etc. But we are choosing not to wait (for other reasons). If she should develop complications, there's another surgery to correct it. Bah, so much to worry about! But yeah, back to my original point. Most dogs here are spayed before 6 months, unless other complications arise.