Puking in the Morning?

Stephanie Piskorski

I have a question/concern. Every morning for the past 4 days, Willow has puked. She throws up white/yellowish foam, but no food. It is always a very small amount as well. I believe this is just her stomach acid. She does this when she's let out of her crate when she and Nina are running around saying goodmorning to me and getting ready for their walk and breakfast. Why is she doing this?

Yep I have had the same, Odin and Loki do it on a regular basis, followed by eating grass and again throwing up, Thor has never done this, they just seem to wanna empty there stomachs for some reason ? as they get the same food I cant think why ??? anyone ?

Sounds like Bile, sometimes it can be caused by something in their food not agreeing with them. When Aleu was on Asdas food, she used to throw up bile every morning, but my vet advertised that I went for a feed with less additives in it.

She hasn't thrown up bile in the morning since!

Stacey xxx

Kiska has been doing this a lot recently too. She's fed at (or a little after) 9pm and is then fed as soon as she gets up in the morning so I wouldn't think it's her going too long between feeds, I can't really feed her any later and phsically can't feed her any earlier :P I don't know what's causing her to do it (she's on a good food too) but it doesn't seem to be indicating an illness or anything so unless Willow looks ill the rest of the time I wouldn't worry :)

9pm sounds late to me to feed a dog, mainly because of the digestion and need then to poo in an hour or two. I guess if you are awake that late, then not a big deal, but it could be from reflux...just like when people go to bed on a full stomach and end up with heartburn. Maybe feeding her earlier, making sure she has enough water, and a chance to go out before bed. My boys are sacked out by 8pm, but they have breakfast by 530 am and start asking for their dinner at 2, and I usually make them wait until at least 330pm.

9pm sounds late to me to feed a dog, mainly because of the digestion and need then to poo in an hour or two. I guess if you are awake that late, then not a big deal, but it could be from reflux...just like when people go to bed on a full stomach and end up with heartburn. Maybe feeding her earlier, making sure she has enough water, and a chance to go out before bed. My boys are sacked out by 8pm, but they have breakfast by 530 am and start asking for their dinner at 2, and I usually make them wait until at least 330pm.

My girls are only four months old, so for them to sleep through the night this is their schedule:

8-830 am- Breakfast, walk

2-230 pm- lunch, walk

8-830 (sometimes 9) pm- dinner, walk

They have playtimes all day and they have yard time as well, their last walk is after dinner, usually around 930 to 10 pm, and they go to bed at 11 30. Any earlier and they wake up at 3 or 4 am and scream the house down, so for me to get a full nights sleep they go to bed when I do at 1130 and usually wake up between 8 and 830 in the morning. I'm on EI right now since I was laid off work last year, so I don't have anywhere to be in the morn, so they wake me up.

I used to have this problem with my Shih Tzu. If we weren't home to feed her by 6 pm she would throw up. She was fed and 6 am and 6 pm usually, but occasionally we would run late getting home...only to find that she had puked. I asked the doctor bc I was concerned about an Acid Reflux type thing....because I have it and if I don't eat within a certain amount of time I get sick/nauseous too. The doctor told us to let her settle way down after she ate and when we started doing this she quit throwing up as much. Not sure what it could be for Willow though. Karleigh's looked exactly how yours sounds.

She's puking before she eats or drinks, and my mom told me when they wake they want out right away for a pee, then they come inside for breakfast. After they eat breakfast they go for their morning walk. But my mom told me the two girls go utterly mental in the morning when they come out of their crates, so excited about everyone and everything. Maybe she should feed them a handful of kibble when outside for their pee?

yes it's definately bile. I have one girl and she is fed morning about 7, the other feed was early afternoon. She used to throw up each morning, the only one which did!

So i now feed her the same in the morning, afternoon is only a light dish of tuna, she goes out for her run in the night, has a chicken wing/carcass when she has settled after her run and she has not thrown up since.

So she was obviously going too long without her stomach full, and she never does anything in the house, she goes out before bedtime, and bone content takes longer to digest so no accidents in the night.

taylor - maybe ur mum could give them abit of food b4 she lets them out of their crates - so they dont get that chance to run around n be crazy and upset their tummys?

I'll suggest that to her, it's really only Willow who's upset their tum in the morning, Nina is just as mental but she doesn't puke. I'll tell her to give them a handful of food while still in their crate, and we'll see if it keeps Willow from throwing up.

• 1 year later...

Glad I found this thread before I took Aurora to the vet. She throws up a lot of mornings. I had thought it was because she is going to long between eating. I feed her several times a day. She is a weird eater. She will only eat a little at a time, so when she goes and sits by her food cabinet I know she is hungry. So she really isn't on a schedule. ( I know she needs one, I will work on it next week before I go back to work after Christmas break). She usually goes to bed about 9pm and wakes up about 6am, sometimes she will vomit then eat a little and she is fine. Good to know that she is ok.