How should you correctly greet another dog?

Staceybob

Aleu is absolutely lovely on the lead now.

Only problem she has now is getting overly excited about greeting other dogs, she will hop on her back legs like a kangaroo to try and greet them and some people find this scary/intimidating.

I've tried distracting her with treats but once they are about 2 metres from us, she loses interest completely.

Any ideas on how my husky can be less like a kangaroo when she greets other dogs?

Stacey xxx

Is it just excitement and not aggression? If it's just that she desperately wants to say hello then you could try making her sit while the other dog approaches. If she lunges or jumps up turn around and walk away from the dog, only allow the dog to get closer if she's calm.

dont worry huni- your not alone...shiloh does the same........people usually cross the road anyway before they reach us- shiloh looks evil in the dark mwah ha ha ha

but those that are brave enough to walk past- i usually pre-warn that he will infact change into part kangaroo and he is jst very happy to see your dog..they usually laugh and walk past with me holding onto shiloh's collar......it doesnt really do much but it makes me feel a little more in control :lol:

Yep same here Darwin and Daughtry get excited and bunny hop to try to get to greet another dog. biggrin.gif

That's when Echo isn't trying to kill n eat the poor beastie first. ohmy.gif

Ah, I'm glad Lyra's not the only one. She gets so excited when she sees strangers that if they don't come pet her, she stands on her hind legs and does a wave motion with her front paws. Like, "Hey, come say hi!!!!!" This is usually successful, because people think it's cute. Little do they know that as soon as they lean over to pet her, her next strategy is to jump up and give them a kiss straight on the mouth... :)

I would suggest that if you can, you try to set up a couple of training sessions where she can meet a couple of strange dogs in a controlled situation, and the other dogs' handlers know what you're doing. When she just starts getting excited, tell her to sit and stay/wait (whatever your command is), and treat her with something high value for being calm. When she can do that, try approaching the other dog(s), and when she starts getting too excited, tell her something like, "No, calm!" or "No, easy!" and turn away with her back to a distance she's more calm. Teach her that she can only approach as long as she is calm. If treating her helps, by all means, give her something, but take away what she wants the most until she learns she can only have it by being calm.

Is it just excitement and not aggression?

100% excitement XD Everyone says she's extremely friendly. She's never taken a disliking to another dog or gone for another dog.

Thanks for all the replies. At the minute I've kind of been trying to mingle with people before allowing her contact with another dog, but I find it awkward saying "Can I walk with you for a minute?" I also find people make the excitement even worse because sometimes they will stop or slow down to say hi, by which point she turns into full kanagroo mode.

Will have to see if I can do something like you suggested sutsibe or I'm just going to turn and walk away till she calms down (though I dont want to appear like I'm being rude, maybe I should wear a sign on my back saying, I'm not being rude - Im dog training! XD)

Stacey xxx

The best tip I can give you is never let her greet another dog when she's that excited - ONLY let her greet when she is calm. Every time you allow her to greet when she's too excited, she is rewarded for the behaviour and it becomes more habitual.

I'd also suggest her value for other dogs is too high, I would be doing lots of work to increase her value for you so when you pass another dog you can ask her to heel/look/watch etc and she will happily obey.

That's why I suggested (perhaps not quite clearly enough) that you set something up ahead of time - any Husky-Owners near enough to help you out that she isn't terribly familiar with? wink.gif

I would have to ask around, because I think most are from more the Nottingham area. I would like to think I can get people around here to help me with it, but I feel very awkward asking things like that XD.

I go to a walking group with my therapy group and I know some of them have dogs. I might ask my Social Worker if she can help me set something like that up.

Stacey xxx

Glala is probably the exception I guess :unsure: When she sees an other dog, no matter its size, she slows down and goes in hunting mode. Slightly lower to the ground, carefully walking to make no sound :blink: However, once she is with the other dog she is fine and will play or avoid it (depending on the other's body posture). She only pulls to greet when they she sees a human she knows.