What are you reading right now?

BingBlaze n Skyla

Glad to know I am not alone, I also have hundreds of books :lol: My husband refused to buy/make another bookshelf as we have no more space, so I started passing them on to my daughter and filled hers for her :lol: He has now bought me a kindle - which is fantastic, but nothing beats a bookshelf filled to overflowing with books :)

I quite fancy the idea of a kindle Rosemary - would you recommend it?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated reading from when I left school, maybe the odd newspaper, but that was all. Then about 2 yrs ago, when I was ill <_< I started to read to help me sleep ... I really got into autobiographies, still a few I'd like to get my hands on, some were much better than I thought they'd be & some were right naff!! lol

I have had a slight change in that I am reading Helen Forrester, nobody famous at all, but it is a series of 4 books about her growing up in Liverpool just before the 2nd World War, the poverty, lack of schooling to look after her siblings, etc - really enjoying them. I'm on the second book ATM

Twopence to cross the Mersey (1st book)

When Helen Forrester’s father went bankrupt in 1930 she and her six siblings were forced from comfortable middle-class life in southern England to utmost poverty in the Depression-ridden North. The running of the household, in slum surroundings and with little food, and the care of the younger children all fell on twelve-year-old Helen. She writes about her experiences without self-pity but rather with a rich sense of humour which makes her account of these grim days heartwarmingly funny as well as shockingly moving.

Liverpool Miss (2nd)

The Forrester family are slowly winning their fight for survival. But 14 year old Helen's personal battle is to persuade her parents to allow her to earn her own living, to lead her own life after years of neglect and inadequate schooling while she cared for her six younger brothers and sisters. Her untiring struggles against illness caused by severe malnutrition and dirt (she has her first bath in 4 years), and above all the selfish demands of her parents, make this story of amazing courage and perseverance both heartbreaking and inspiring

By the waters of Liverpool & Lime Street at two (3rd & 4th)

Helen Forrester continues the moving story of her early poverty-stricken life with an account of her teenage years and the devastating effect of the Second World War on her hometown of Liverpool.

At seventeen, Helen Forrester's parents are still as irresponsible as ever, wasting money while their children still lack adequate food and clothing. But for Helen, having won a small measure of independence, things are looking up. Having educated herself at night school and now making friends in her first proper job, she meets a handsome seaman and falls in love for the first time. But the storm clouds of war are gathering and Helen will experience at first hand the horror of the blitz and the terrible toll that the war exacted on ordinary people. As ever, Helen faces the future with courage and determination.

He has now bought me a kindle - which is fantastic, but nothing beats a bookshelf filled to overflowing with books :)

90% of my books are in the loft, due to the lack of bookshelf space!! I have been looking into getting a kindle too, but I only read a certain type of factual book, not novels, etc, which will probably make up the majority of the books on Amazon at the moment

I quite fancy the idea of a kindle Rosemary - would you recommend it?

Oh YES. I love mine and don't go anywhere without it. I buy my books directly from my kindle via a free wireless wi-fi connection (not quite sure what that means :) ) If you know what book you are looking for it takes about three minutes and the book is on the kindle. I even have photos (black & white) of the huskies on it, recipes, dictionaries and a thesaurus.

Amazon downloaded new updated free software directly to the kindle this week, which is also awesome.

Another great feature is that you can buy books from other e-book suppliers and send it to your amazon account. They then convert it to their format and deliver it to your kindle. You do pay for the service, but at a ridiculously low cost - if I remember correctly it was 0,50c.

I also have a few audio books and a lot of music, so all in all it is a FANTASTIC invention.

But, it doesn't beat a bookshelf filled to capacity :lol:

• 9 months later...

Just re-reading Dan Simmons' "The Terror" which is part historical documentary, part fantasy novel about Franklin's expedition to find the North-West Passage in 1845. It is an amazing novel which encompasses historical reality and Inuit myth. Almost 100 pages, but well worth reading (and re-reading)!!! His descriptive powers are so good that you need to wrap up warm even to read it!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)

Am reading these and on his second book http://www.leechild.com/ Jack Reacher rocks :)

Got to agree :), I have all his books. I heard on a book forum that Tom Cruise will be playing Jack Reacher in the upcomming movie - I personally can't think of anyone LESS suited to play him :( Lee Child needs his head read.

Got to agree :), I have all his books. I heard on a book forum that Tom Cruise will be playing Jack Reacher in the upcomming movie - I personally can't think of anyone LESS suited to play him :( Lee Child needs his head read.

I agree with you on Cruise being a weird choice Reacher is 6 foot 5in 37 year old Cruise is 3 foot 50 year old :confused:

I agree with you on Cruise being a weird choice Reacher is 6 foot 5in 37 year old Cruise is 3 foot 50 year old :confused:

:rofl: and he is a bit of a wimp. In my mind I will always see Tom Cruise as the man who jumped on Oprah's sofa and made an idiot of himself - not exactly a Reacher trait :rolleyes:

The short second life of Bree Tanner >.> I was reading The queen of the damned...next I think I will read some shakespeare if not...another vampire book :P

ive read that - was pretty good

i just read husbands by adele parks which was good - dunno what to read next and i want a kindle too

• 1 year later...