How and what to begin with the raw diet?

lovinmyhusky

Max just had his yearly check up today. He was only 57lbs. :( They measured his height to be sure and he is 27 inches tall so he is underweight. I knew he was tall and skinny but had no idea I needed to be concerned. I have two dogs, the other one is about 10 lbs overweight lol, and can't monitor their eating. I tried seperately, but it just doesn't happen. So, I want to start some raw food. I currently do nothing. He eats Natures Recipe, probably 2 cups a day and we started giving him some table scraps. I even started a tablespoon of peanut butter. So where and what should I start with?

I would advise against giving a dog raw pork. Hogs in the US can be infected with trichinella worms. Here's a link with more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Table scraps are usually not too good for your dog.

Unless YOU prepare everything from scratch then you will be giving him stuff containing preservatives and e-numbers

that may not be suitable.

(Some human food (such as onion) is poisonous to dogs.)

We feed ours a mix of Raw chicken wings in the morning average 3-4 wings each.

not wing tips but the whole wing from shoulder to tip, including bones.

And kibble in the evening.

(Bones are ok as long as they have NOT been cooked. When Raw they crunch and help clean the teeth.

When cooked they splinter and may get stuck in the throat / stomach or intestines)

+1 to Dave (Mazz) the Sid Wolf articles are fantastic.

We don't mix Chicken and kibble as they process through the digestive system at a different rate.

(Unless your dog has a cast iron stomach)